Author Topic: Websites vs social media  (Read 5329 times)

Offline loopyloop

Re: Websites vs social media
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2021, 06:52:56 PM »
I agree with most of the comments above and believe this forum is the best vehicle for the likes of us. However as a long standing member of IPMS and branch sec I must say that having a facebook account for our branch has been very useful for sending out info, promotion, and recruitment. We get about 10/15 at monthly meetings but our Facebook membership stands at 67. If you want to interest young people youve got to use the likes of Facebook and You Tube. Believe when I say that I was led kicking and screaming into this now but recognise it's benefits.

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2021, 07:10:09 PM »
I agree with most of the comments above and believe this forum is the best vehicle for the likes of us. However as a long standing member of IPMS and branch sec I must say that having a facebook account for our branch has been very useful for sending out info, promotion, and recruitment. We get about 10/15 at monthly meetings but our Facebook membership stands at 67. If you want to interest young people youve got to use the likes of Facebook and You Tube. Believe when I say that I was led kicking and screaming into this now but recognise it's benefits.

Facebook does work well for transient information, like news, new releases, meetings and so on. It's hopeless for build threads

If you wan to interest 'young people', you're way behind the curve! 'Young people' don't use Facebook because it's full of 'old people'.  ;D

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2021, 07:34:26 PM »
i'm on here, Facebook and Instagram, and read/follow a lot more than i post. i'll go to any platform with worthwhile content.

social media isn't a bad idea, but it shouldn't replace the forum.

i think a Facebook group would be a good idea, if it's done in a way that's complementary to the forum rather than redundant. like new releases, blinged up photos, share manufacturer teasers (Copper State and Aviattic in share a lot there).

Twitter isn't a good platform for the kind of content we're interested in.

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2021, 08:25:16 PM »
Thank you, Dave, for bringing this issue to discussion - a very relevant and important issue in my opinion.

Me, first of all I dislike the increasing number of places, where people present their models, inform about new kits, etc. I truly miss the times without FB. The mutitude of FB groups drives me mad. I cannot get the idea of being a member of several groups (as far as I know there are at least 5 groups related to WW1 aviation modeling) and presenting the same photos of models in all of them.
As some have already pointed out, it is a medium completely not suitable for presentation of build logs. Searching for any info older than 2 days is barely possible. And it can be full of trolls and other parasites. IMHO it is a place where the majority of users wants to show up, have their moment of transient internet glory, gather likes and hearts...
I must confess, I am present there. And I definitely spend too much time looking for some information about modeling but it is usually a hard task, you have to scroll through the heaps of useless posts... I do it only because:
1) I know that some of my friends, also modelers, are present mainly there. This is sometimes the only way to be in touch with them.
2) when you sieve the rubbish you may find some interesting news quicker than elsewhere (as was the case with some novelties, for instance from CSM)

All in all, I would be very much disappointed is this forum moved to FB (if that is possible at all). I find this forum as a tranquility refuge from that FB mess and noise. Please, no I beg you, Dave, and us all, let us keep it as it is, we all need THIS place, it is the most fantastic virtual world, let us all preserve it and steadily improve it - for us and for future users. Let us do it here, not in FB or elsewhere...
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Gene K

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2021, 09:52:03 PM »
However FB allows 'likes'

One more "vote" here against a Facebook transition or complement. I value this group immensely in it's current form, but wish we had a Like feature. Since we are a friendly group, a lot (!) of posts are "merely" short likes.

Gene K

Offline Europapete

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2021, 10:24:48 PM »
Good morning all. The website forum all the way for me. I never use social media. Regards, Pete in RI.

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2021, 10:43:24 PM »
Many thanks for the valued feedback folks and I can assure you all there is no plan to move the Forum to any social media platform, or to create a clone of the Forum on Facebook.

I was interested in gauging whether social media platforms such as Facebook are influential in your modelling choices, such as your kit or aftermarket product buying?.

Several people have noted that some manufacturers make news announcements on Facebook but do those posts convince you to buy the mentioned items or do you seek more in depth information such as may be found on a web forum?

I am delighted our members find the Forum to be a friendly and welcoming place because that is our #1 objective- to provide a warm, friendly and helpful place where all modellers are equal and can share their joy of the hobby with fellow modellers around the world.

Thanks to every one of you for your support because you make this Forum the friendliest hobby group on the Internet.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2021, 11:06:17 PM »
I am on FB and Instagram. I rarely use Instagram but do use FB daily. I don't like a lot of the stuff on FB but there are a few WW1 related Model groups that I follow. I post My builds on MY Home Page, and tend to also spread them on the other groups. Usually I alternate posting updates on different ones and not all at one time. The WNW groups have more or less lost MY interest as they are about 50% sales posts now.

The Forum is My Home and I Love following all of the inspirational builds here. I find it easy to check on progress, find info I am looking for etc. Like we always say, Friendly and Informative! I May give up on social Media someday but not this Forum!

As for your question, if a company is basing their releases only on likes on FB they are probably not utilizing all of the tools they should be. In a small Niche of a small Market I would think every venue would be valuable!

I am Happy you have No intention of Moving to FB, This is without doubt the best Forum Community I have ever been a part of
Just My Humble and Rambling Opinion.
RAGIII

PS: I tend to purchase things I see here more than those I see on FB. I trust more of the opinions here. For instance if I went by what we see on FB I would Never build a Roden kit, and probably not Special Hobby or others !
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2021, 07:26:27 AM »
Interesting topic, for sure. And to answer your original question Dave I definitely have discovered many hobby related items to purchase that I've come across on Facebook. Not so much adverts, but people sharing info - what they used and where they got it etc. I can wade past some of the other nonsense easily.

But this Forum is very "grounded" and a pleasant place to share model pictures, ideas and thoughts.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2021, 07:16:08 PM »
Hi Dave,
I'm with most of the comments posted here.
I do have a FB account and visit daily, as there are informative pages to be found.
I also respond on some pages where I think it may help the original poster.
However, posters can promote negative and sometimes abusive replies, which in many cases the admins let go.
But then other pages block posts for what seem to be the silliest of reasons, or for no obvious reason.

This forum has always been positive and informative and most importantly, is 'policed' with polite effect.
Members here are accountable for their content, something social media lacks in many respects.
Also here, we're not subjected to a multitude of advertising and the ever present problems of security breeches.
Finally, each of our builds are detailed and lengthy, which is what this forum promotes so well to the community.
That's something we can't easily do on FB and the like, which in reality are just 'snap shot' forums,

Mike 

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline MichaelS

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2021, 07:28:39 AM »
Pretty much all I do here is lurk, and drool over other people's work, but if I were looking for information on products, I would look here before any social media forums. I don't have time (or desire) to try to keep up with every manufacturer's Facebook and Instagram account.

I do think that Facebook is great for clubs - either local or virtual - but it's not where I go for information.

Thanks,
M.A.Shelley

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2021, 11:09:25 PM »
Tried to resist the tide and don't have Facebook, or insta, Twitter.
‘Not all who wander are lost‘

Offline Europapete

« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2021, 03:41:46 AM »
I never go on social media, so manufacturers are wasting their time advertising there as far as I am concerned. I know I miss out on new product release news but I find what I need well enough. Regards, Pete in RI.

Offline rolanddvi

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2021, 09:15:32 AM »
Dave,

I use this forum as a gauge to determine if/what I am going to buy that is WWI related. I trust and value the opinions and I like the honesty of the people here on the forum. Plus, they can build the heck out of these kits!!! My 2 cents worth.

Mike

Offline TimK

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2021, 06:57:21 PM »
The Forum's a wonderful resource and a rich archive of talent and information. I don't do FB and never will.