Author Topic: Websites vs social media  (Read 5274 times)

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
Re: Websites vs social media
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2021, 09:36:07 PM »
Hello Dave,
I think the forum is great the way it is. This is a place where you can withdraw and also discuss some private problems with your friends. Nobody from my private and professional environment would stalk me here in this forum. As a German, I in particular have to struggle with the fact that, due to our history, we are often pushed into the right-wing corner when we build WWI models or are interested in history. Here, no recruiter stumbles over my words.
bye,Manni

"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline ThePenguin

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2021, 11:50:07 AM »
Influence? To a degree, I use Mediocre group quite often on FB which is run by Andy's HQ I believe and he posts useful videos on subjects which hasn't helped my wallet.

I think people who are interested in WW1 aircraft would eventually find this place, when people ask for advice I send them here too. Maybe the info from here feeds back naturally? to those platforms?

"There's also the issue of Facebook's sometimes weird interpretation of historical imagery - try uploading a photo of a German aircraft with a swastika on it and see your group placed in Facebook prison!"

Unfortunately there are a couple of reasons, one is apparently FB has a lot of issues with extremist groups and I have also seen about the legality of the swastika in certain countries like Germany which has affected other websites and even games, Il2 is a good example where they don't ship with them. I think FB just took the "easy" way out too and sent it all under the ban hammer.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 11:56:07 AM by ThePenguin »

Offline Lyle

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2021, 11:22:00 AM »
I am glad this forum is going well and I'm glad to see the positive support here. Sadly this doesn't seem to be the case at an older forum most of us know well: the Aerodrome. In fact, a few years ago they tried the same thing, to expand to Facebook. I was a member of that Facebook group and noticed today that there hasn't been a single bit of activity there for over two years. It's essentially dead. As for the Aerodrome forum itself, except for the homebuilder's page and a few others, it's quite static. The only model section there is the flying models one, and it's on life support.

There's real life in this forum, for sure. But Facebook is a gigantic quagmire that's been described perfectly by everyone here.  Ten years ago? Not so bad. Today, it's risky with all the data leaks and people watching your every keystroke, not to mention the political madness. Welcome to Mount Doom. I took a furlough from Facebook for a week and went back today. I'm more interested in the WWI groups anyway where I can post simple snapshots and catch up on some news, if any.

Is there any interest in creating a sub forum here for the flying scale modelers?

Thanks for letting us share our thoughts. I appreciate what everyone is saying.

Lyle
Lyle

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2021, 05:37:27 PM »
That forum exploded at one point for reasons I no longer remember, including shutting down all the modelling threads. I haven't been back since - in fact I can't get in as I can't remember my password and the reset reply goes to an email account I no longer have

Times change

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2021, 06:07:34 PM »
Thanks for the valued feedback folks, much appreciated. I'm especially encouraged by the feeling that our Forum is playing a useful role in helping everyone enjoy the hobby. Your kind words are appreciated by our team - Lance Carroll, Brad Cancian, Dave Johnson and myself.

With regard to the Aerodrome, our forum grew out of the consequences of the Aerodrome's melt down some years back. We shan't go into the causes of that but the model boards were shut down and a new site was created by another person. The late Des Delatorre was involved with that site but then there was a serious parting of the ways between him and the other fellow, the site was shut down and Des went out on his own and created this Forum.

That was in 2012 and next year we will mark our 10th anniversary! The happy state of our Forum and its good heart are due to our outstanding world wide family of modellers who support one another with no trolls or flame wars ( one reason why the Drome crashed and burned).

We're always looking for ways to make the Forum better for members (within our budget) and with regard to a sub board for flying scale modellers- I'm happy to set up such a board if the demand is there for it? Over to you folks!

Meanwhile on the plastic model front, stay tuned for a little contest we'll be running soon with Roden's brand new 1/32 scale Spad XIII Early kits as prizes! We'll announce details of this soon but it's an exclusive for members of our Forum.

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia.
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Online Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2021, 06:09:23 PM »
Hello Dave,
I think the forum is great the way it is. This is a place where you can withdraw and also discuss some private problems with your friends. Nobody from my private and professional environment would stalk me here in this forum. As a German, I in particular have to struggle with the fact that, due to our history, we are often pushed into the right-wing corner when we build WWI models or are interested in history. Here, no recruiter stumbles over my words.
bye,Manni

Bravo Manni - well said  :)

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2021, 07:02:01 PM »

Hello Dave,
bye,Manni

Bravo Manni - well said  :)

Mike

Hear, hear!

Willem

Offline Panzer Chicken

« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2021, 08:40:26 PM »
I stopped using ANY social media alltogether since you cannot escape the political and social madness on there.

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2021, 05:21:03 AM »
I stopped using ANY social media alltogether since you cannot escape the political and social madness on there.

The same reason for me too.
 :)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2021, 12:23:12 AM »
This forum is a positive example, even for a forum. (not meant in a negative way, of course)
Some may find it a bit too tightly run, but there's no obligation to join and participate, is there? I don't mind and am glad this place scticks to it's roots.

Some other (non modelling, as well) forums are actually little different from social media... I suppose the right to vent an opinion and the anonimity triggers something in some people. I've met my share of these in real life as well, I just shrug and move on... :)
When I put all season tyres on my camper van and am happy with them, I don't really need other people to yell I've got the wrong brand because they had one blown 25 years ago and respond to any and all threads regarding that brand venting that opinion. Thankfully none of that is happening here, as it gets tiresome after a while :)

Although I don't visit as often as I would like here, I still follow along when I can, and hopefully this winter there'll be some more time to work on my models!

Jeroen

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2021, 12:38:16 AM »
Hi Dave, hi everybody, I read just now this much interesting thread, and all the posts here are really interesting as well, I respect all the opinions and don't have anything against the social medas, but here I feel really at home and what's more important I know each of us as a family person and I support the Forum when I can with my donations.
So my idea is that we should keep the forum alive with our strength and polite behavior and competent intervention in it.
The forum is open and we have a constant although maybe small number of newcomers and that's good... I feel we don't need to spread a message or target a bigger number of people as a commercial enterprise does.
I do not have a Facebook or other social account: I tried to open one (and an Instagram and a Twitter one as well) but I abandoned all of them because I couldn't understand their usefulness. So my vote (if one is required) is Forum! ...and my hope is that the suppliers of kits and aftermarket keep their presence on the "traditional" websites because I won't ever open a facebook accont to buy some decals or kit.

Thanks for opening this discussion Dave and apologies for taking part in it so late!

Antonio
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 12:40:13 AM by andonio64 »

Offline WD

« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2021, 11:34:41 AM »
I am very late to this thread, and to honest I haven't read anyone's replies to the OP. However, I'll say that I got shed of Facebook almost a year ago, and have stayed off of social media since. I greatly prefer websites and message boards such as this one.

FWIW, YMMV,

WD

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2021, 11:25:10 PM »
I am very late to this thread, and to honest I haven't read anyone's replies to the OP. However, I'll say that I got shed of Facebook almost a year ago, and have stayed off of social media since. I greatly prefer websites and message boards such as this one.

FWIW, YMMV,

WD

You're not alone. I gave up on Facebook 6 months ago. In that time, not one of my 'real' friends on Farcebook have checked in with me to see how I'm doing. I find that to be sad, but not surprising. In life you will have around 3 to 5 friends that you would lie down in traffic for, the rest are just passing through. Their loss.

:)
Bob

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline WD

« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2021, 12:08:43 AM »
Bob,
       Pretty much the same here, but then I'm just as guilty of not keeping up with folks. BLUF (Bottom Line Up Front) I greatly prefer the interactions here and the various message boards, blogs, etc. I frequent.

WD

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2021, 06:10:11 AM »
Sorry for being so late into this topic, I think the forum is just right for its purposes: social media are useless for many of the forum's activities, without real moderators, an excessively compacted format and an excessive population. No pressure, great friendliness and world class modellers sharing their experience make this place invaluable.
Ciao
Giuseppe