Author Topic: 1:32nd scale Junkers D.I  (Read 3536 times)

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
1:32nd scale Junkers D.I
« on: July 19, 2021, 03:55:18 AM »
Hi all,
I'm waiting for the display case to arrive for the previous model.
As the last few resin models completed required a lot of 'scratch' building, I thought I'd build something without any struts or rigging.
So this time around it'll be the ‘Wingnut Wings’ Junkers D.I (Kit No.32065).

This model will depict a Junkers D.I that was involved in a flying accident, possibly during testing, on the 3rd of October 1918.
It was most likely repaired and possibly given the Serial No: 5188/18.
It was then operated by either MFJG in Belgium or with Kampfgeschwader ’Sachsenburg’, operating in the Baltic during 1919.

The Junkers D.I was designated as a ‘battle plane’, meaning its perceived operational role was to be that of ground attack, rather than as a fighter.
Only 40 aircraft were built between June 1918 and February 1919 and it seems of these, only 5 were delivered to the front.
It's not certain than any of these aircraft took part in actual combat.
Although there were reports from the British late in the war that there were ’encounters with German monoplanes that were covered with corrugated sheet’.
These 5 aircraft were eventually abandoned on the German landing field of Hombeek in Belgium.
However, the aircraft did see active service after the war, in action against the Bolshevik forces in the Baltic countries.
They were operated by the ‘Kampfgeschwader Sachsenburg’ volunteer regiment, commanded by Gothard Sachsenburg, a former pilot of the German naval ’Marine Jasta’.
The regiment consisted of 3 squadrons, being FA413 (reconnaissance), FA416 (fighter) and FA417 (ground attack).
Both FA416 and FA417 operated the Junkers D.I as well as the Junkers CL.I (two seat version) aircraft.
A few aircraft were lost in combat, including a Junkers D.I being flown by Josef Jacobs.
When hostilities ceased, those aircraft remaining were found by Soviet forces, abandoned on an airfield near Riga.

The lineage of this aircraft traces back to Professor Hugo Junkers, when in 1912 he patented a design for a thick, cantilever constructed initially of corrugated steel.
The first Junkers J.I and J.2 monoplanes were built but proved too heavy for operational use.
Therefore the Junkers J.3 was redesigned during 1916 using an aluminium alloy (Duraluminium).
However it was shelved when production was switched to the Junkers J.1 biplane, which entered service in 1917.
Due to the positive response for the J.I, work recommenced on an armored single seat monoplane, starting with the Junkers J.5 through to the J.9, which eventually became the operational Junkers D.1.
The maiden flight took place in May 1918 and further changes to the design saw 4 aircraft of the final version dispatched to the front in October 1918.
The design of this aircraft was revolutionary for its time, being a monoplane of metal construction and with only cross brace rigging on the undercarriage.
The airframe was essentially of tubular  construction with corrugated Duraluminium covering.
Various engines were fitted during the prototype stages, but it seems the Daimler-Mercedes D.IIIa (180hp) or D.IIIaü (200hp) engines were fitted to operational aircraft.
Armament consisted of twin 7.92 mm LMG 08/15 ‘Spandau’ machine guns.

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline RAGIII

Re: 1:32nd scale Junkers D.I
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 04:10:10 AM »
You are a True Modeling Machine Mike! Looking forward to this one as always!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2021, 07:05:18 AM »
Hi all,
I'm starting on the engine.
The right side of the engine has a coolant pipe, interconnected between each of the cylinder jackets.
Due to limitations of moulding, this pipe looks unrealistic and joins the bottoms of the cylinders, which should be separated..
Therefore I've cut it away from the cylinders and replaced each pipe with 0.8 mm diameter plastic rod, chamfered at each end to merge with the cylinders at each end.
Game on,

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2021, 07:20:13 AM »
Nice Start Mike!
RAGIII

Offline RichieW

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2021, 10:38:29 PM »
Nice start Mike, you've definitely earned the right to a strut and rigging free monoplane after all the micro engineering you have been doing.

Richie

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2021, 11:48:08 PM »
Tagging along  ;)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2021, 12:06:48 AM »
Ah, an other lovely build. Looking forward to see your next steps.
Bye Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2021, 01:55:00 AM »
Hi all,
I've added 'Taurus Models' resin fuel primers (D3219) and spark plugs (D3218).
The primer levers will be fitted later in the engine build so as to avoid breaking them whilst handling,

Mike

Offline Europapete

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2021, 06:10:55 AM »
Looking great so far Mike. Got this one in the stash so will follow with interest.  Also just read through the full pdf of the Fokker D2 on your site. Awesome job with lots of great tips. Thank you for producing these. Rgards, Pete in RI

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2021, 11:31:43 PM »
Excellent engine mods Mike!
RAGIII

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2021, 11:51:59 PM »
Hi all,
I've been working on the engine.
The pipework supplied in the kit is fragile and easily broken.
Also the engine had pipes from the air valve at the top, front of the engine.
These were attached to the crankcase and one into a valve with a 'bleed' tap, fitted to the forward left side.
I decided to add the air valve pipes and the sump breather pipe and replace all of the tubes and the ignition lead support tubes with Brass rod and tubing.
I've also added the extra valve with a 'Taurus Models' resin tap,

Mike

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2021, 05:35:07 AM »
Always love the details you add  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2021, 02:31:49 AM »
Hi all,
Just a few final details on the engine.
The two carburettor fuel supply pipes from 0.375 mm diameter copper wire. These are to attached to the gravity fuel tank at the rear of the engine bay.
The throttle control linkage on the top of the carburettor housing (from odd photo-etch parts) and the support tube for the cockpit operated throttle control cable.
Finally the magneto spark advance cross tube (0.4 mm diameter Nickel-Silver tube) and levers.
The left lower lever will be attached to the control rod from the spark advance lever in the cockpit,

Mike

Offline macsporran

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2021, 02:36:21 AM »
Beautiful fine detail work.
Sandy

Offline Monty

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2021, 03:15:08 AM »
Very fine and convincing detail work, Mike! I am in awe.... Regards, Marc