Author Topic: Roden 1/72 Nieuport 27  (Read 4025 times)

Offline Early Bird Fan

Roden 1/72 Nieuport 27
« on: July 07, 2021, 11:01:07 PM »
One fiddly build finished, must be time to start another one  :D

My next project will be a Nieuport 27 as usual in 1/72, here's the box and sprue shot (i've pre-primed it all with my usual white plastic primer)

I added the batten behind the cockpit area as there's no panel behind the seat so this area looked a little plain, then set to with the paint brush followed by a bit of rigging.

The frame broke on removing it from the sprue despite my best efforts at being careful, it should also have a tacho gauge in the top right corner which seems to have broken off (it was never there when i opened the bag for the first time), i'll see if i can add something to that area. The seat had a solid back but it should have holes in it so i got the drill out. Wish i'd noticed it before applying the glue but the locating holes under the seat are not square meaning the seat is not square to the frame and it will probably notice once inside the fuselage. By the time i realised the glue was holding so rather than risk damage i chose to leave it

I just gave the engine 1 coat of anthracite followed by some metallic steel dry brushing, i think it looks better to the naked eye than in the pic

Offline IanB

Re: Roden 1/72 Nieuport 27
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2021, 02:00:47 AM »
Nice start, the framework looks good!

Ian

Offline Radarman

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2021, 03:04:12 AM »
It's always good to see another Nieuport being built.

Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2021, 03:44:00 AM »
Good to see another aircraft in the Correct Scale.Isuspect that most people looking at the model will not notice the slightly mis-aligned seat. Good extra internal detail though.

Stephen.

Offline WD

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2021, 09:57:26 AM »
Great to see more a/c being built in the one true scale, plus . . . . it's a Nieuport!!! ;D

Sorry 'bout the seat.

FWIW I think your rotary looks great in the pic.

WD

Offline macsporran

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2021, 05:50:15 PM »
Great progress EB. I hope the 1/72 Nie27 is a better kit than the 1/32 one - especially fuselage sides matching together.
Dontcha just love that RFC/French scheme - hope that's what you're aiming for.
Good modelling
Sandy

Offline Early Bird Fan

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2021, 06:52:48 PM »
Great progress EB. I hope the 1/72 Nie27 is a better kit than the 1/32 one - especially fuselage sides matching together.
Dontcha just love that RFC/French scheme - hope that's what you're aiming for.
Good modelling
Sandy
it's not a roden kit without some sort of fit issue  ;)

I was originally going to do the rather colourful scheme but have decided on one of the aluminium examples instead for this build

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2021, 01:08:43 AM »
Excellent start! Your framework looks terrific. I am looking forward to your next update!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline FAf

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2021, 05:42:21 AM »
Good work! Looking forward to seeing more of it.
/Fredrik

Offline RichieW

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2021, 06:18:15 AM »
I'm very much looking forward to seeing this come together. The 20 pence piece gives a real sense of just how tiny this is in 1/72 and why I have great respect for the results people like you achieve in this scale.

Richie

Offline SimonK

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2021, 09:46:45 PM »
Love the work on the inside. 

Offline Early Bird Fan

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2021, 10:00:59 PM »
thanks for all the comments and for following this little project

I'm very much looking forward to seeing this come together. The 20 pence piece gives a real sense of just how tiny this is in 1/72 and why I have great respect for the results people like you achieve in this scale.

Richie
thanks for the comment, i do hate dealing with such fiddly parts but then there's a nice sense of achievement when things go well  :D

been ploughing on with the 27 build, for a roden kit it's gone together quite well so far

I gave the seat area a wash with burnt umber to darken it a bit and make it slightly more woody, also added some luxuries like a control stick or two.

There's quite a bit of space around the seat and controls which makes a nice change. The hole in the bottom of the fuselage isn't big enough to go over the cockpit area on the lower wing so it needs assembling on to the lower wing in two halves.

The fuselage fit is generally good but there's no positive location for the wings to fit on the fuselage, this lead to a lot of measuring and tweaking while the glue started to set. If the wings are fitted square to the bottom of the fuselage then they're a mile out of alignment at the wing tips so they ended up being fixed to the fuselage at an angle. A bit of filler needed here and also around the half moon panel at the front but nothing major.

Filling and sanding done,

Top seam isn't too bad at all and the wings look square

Here's the wonky seat

A quick blast of primer to hide the evidence and check for any seam issues, also fitted horizontal stabiliser

The cabanes are going body colour so the next job is top wing test fitting so i can get them glued in place then painting can commence.

Offline DaveB

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2021, 10:12:55 PM »
Great (and fast) progress on your N27!

Looking good so far

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2021, 10:58:19 PM »
Great work on making sure the wings are aligned! Looking Fantastic overall!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2021, 01:45:55 AM »
Very good progress and quick too. Glad you got the lower wing sorted out - it is really annoying when something which should be simple throws up a series of problems.

Stephen.