Author Topic: WiP - Tribute to a Simple Time, Part II: 1/72 Airfix D.H.4  (Read 9843 times)

Online Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
WiP - Tribute to a Simple Time, Part II: 1/72 Airfix D.H.4
« on: July 06, 2021, 08:01:29 AM »
Hi everyone!

Some of you may remember a year or so ago I posted a WIP thread called “Tribute to a Simple Time”, where I tackled the venerable old 1/72 Airfix Albatros DVa from 1957. The aim was a simple and fun build, to rekindle that nostalgic feeling from many years ago when one didn’t really care for accuracy. The WIP thread was here:

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=11345.0

Well, I’ve decided that I’ll continue this theme with another Airfix WW1 stalwart, the 1/72 DH4. This kit was first released in 1967 (10 years after the Albatros), making the moulds 54 years old.  The kit was only re-released a few times, the last (from what I can tell) being the Vintage Aircraft Special Edition boxing from 1987 (which is the date on my kit's instructions). For whatever reason (sales, probably?), the kit was never re-released in any newer boxings. Here she is in her in-box glory:

So, like the Albatros, I’ll be adding some details but otherwise keeping this build relatively simple. The Airfix kit is typical 1960s fare – minimal cockpit (two seats and two pilots), grossly exaggerated ribs on the flying surfaces, and struts held in place by gates that slot into the upper wing. These will all need attention. That being said, the old Airfix kit still has a couple of nice surprises. The radiator has some nice grille detail, and there are some nice little details on the fuselage exterior here and there.

Most surprisingly though, and unlike most of the Airfix WW1 kits of this era, the DH4 is actually generally accurate in outline. I compared the kit to the plans in the Flying Machine Press Great War Aircraft in Profile #5 “De Havilland Aircraft of World War 1, Volume 1: D.H.1 – D.H.4” by Colin Owers, and all of the major components scale pretty well correctly. The wings are thin in chord by about 1mm, and the tips aren’t quite the right shape, but they have the correct number of ribs. Stabilisers and vertical tail / rudder aren’t too bad either. The fuselage is the right length and depth, cockpits are in the right spots, and the nose, though shallow by about 1mm, is generally good in dimension. The tail is about 1mm too far aft. All of this I can live with.

The cowling shape is set up for a Rolls Royce Eagle engined aircraft, or potentially a US built Liberty DH4, but either option will require adjustments of the cowling louvers (as the kits lovers and fairings aren’t quite right for either aircraft).

In all, the kit will form the basis of a generally accurate DH4, with a few modifications.

Though I am yet to start, and intend on going a bit slow on this build, I am enthusiastic about getting stuck into this one. Wish me luck as I delve into another time capsule…! 😊

Cheers, 

BC

Offline O_Pablo

Re: WiP - Tribute to a Simple Time, Part II: 1/72 Airfix D.H.4
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2021, 08:26:26 AM »
I'll be watching with interest!  :D

Regards
Paul

Offline WD

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2021, 10:01:23 AM »
I'm looking forward to see how you progress on this one Brad!

On a related note, what did you use on the base underneath your Albatros?  I can see you used the kit box on the sides, but I can't make out the base underneath the a/c.

WD

Online Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2021, 10:12:35 AM »
Hi WD - the answers you seek are here - https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=11390.0 

I created and printed the images for the base myself - no kit boxes were butchered (as I had to match the image to the model, in true airfix palatoy boxing style  ;D )

Cheers,

BC

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2021, 12:20:45 PM »
Watching this with much interest Brad. I made the Airfix WW1 kits a lifetime ago and I recall the DH4 being an especially satisfying build. Mine was finished as a NZ Permanent Air Force machine A7929 (below)

It's wonderful to see new life being breathed into these classic kits.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline MichaelStieber

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2021, 11:00:31 PM »
This will be very interesting  :)
Greetings,
Michael

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2021, 03:36:39 AM »
Brad,
    Great theme, and one I know I'll enjoy following as much as your DVa. These "oldies" from the past of our hobby still offer a lot of potential and enjoyment, and the memories are an added bonus! So many of us here started with kits of this vintage and here we are still involved in the hobby decades later. Enjoy!
Cheers,
Lance   

Offline Monty

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2021, 03:39:51 AM »
I will definitely follow along - this kit has really great potential! Sure, there are some issues, but they can be overcome! Great to see this being built, Brad! Regards, Marc.

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2021, 05:34:38 AM »
I have this exact boxing too Brad.

I will be following this build with great interest!

Willem

Offline IanB

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2021, 05:17:58 PM »
I'm looking forward to this!
I have an MPC boxing which includes the most garish "bird wing" decals for a US Postal Service machine! It won't be built as a 4 though, I have the Pegasus kit for that. Instead I will use the Blue Rider DH9 conversion on it.
Your notes on the general sizes are certainly useful.

Ian

Offline WD

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2021, 10:00:42 AM »
I made the Airfix WW1 kits a lifetime ago and I recall the DH4 being an especially satisfying build. Mine was finished as a NZ Permanent Air Force machine A7929 (below)

It's wonderful to see new life being breathed into these classic kits.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

Dave, that's possibly one of the best kit builds of a DH.4 I've ever seen.  ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

WD

Offline WD

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2021, 10:03:48 AM »
Hi WD - the answers you seek are here - https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=11390.0 

I created and printed the images for the base myself - no kit boxes were butchered (as I had to match the image to the model, in true airfix palatoy boxing style  ;D )

Cheers,

BC

Thanks Brad!  While I certainly enjoy realistic basing, I do like the idea of basing a kit on a blueprint, map, photo, etc. It's a chance to get creative when telling the story.

WD

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2021, 01:12:42 AM »
Great research and development Brad! You are off to your usual outstanding start!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2021, 04:55:08 AM »
Very interesting subject, Brad. I love these old kits. I remember when I went shopping with my grandpa, he sometimes bought me such a 72nd kit. But he tended more to the German planes. Now as I am older, I think I know why :-\
Bye, Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline RichieW

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2021, 05:29:36 AM »
I'm looking forward to seeing this Brad, these lovely old kits are starting to appeal to me after seeing what can be done to bring them up to date.

Richie