Author Topic: WiP - Tribute to a Simple Time  (Read 6279 times)

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
WiP - Tribute to a Simple Time
« on: July 21, 2020, 07:05:02 PM »
Hi all - it's been about a year since my last WW1 build, and I am feeling nostalgic... so...

Pardon my highly inaccurate and theatric 'comic book' German... but... any guesses?

Yep, it's the old Airfix 1/72 Albatrs DVa:

This kit dates from 1957 making it around 63 years old! (that's 24 years older than I am...). This is the boxing from the early 2000s, picked up for $4 at a swap and sell.

With this build, I wanted to re-kindle that child like feeling of building something for fun, with minimal modifications, and not a care for accuracy. So that's what I intend to do with this kit. To correct the aincient Airfix kit's flaws would be to scratch build an entire model. So, in the spirit of fun, this one will be out of box.

Well, I say out of box, but I can't help myself. I have made a couple of changes, but these are very basic, limited only to things I just can't live with.

Firstly, I intend to use the pilot figure. So the empty kit cockpit has been filled by a basic (and highly inaccurate) mock up, just to fill the space. The seat was from the spares box, with basic tape for seat belts.

The kit engine consists of an unusable set of cylinders with large sink holes in the middle. I therefore had to replace this with a roden engine from the spares box, modified to fit the airfix cowling (which also had a little surgery done).

The kit wings had massive mould release holes, and the wing ribs have that old school 'starving cow' look, and needed some sanding down. I kept the characteristically bad radiator, as it points to the 'old airfix' nature of this one.

I used the kit wheels, with some minor modifications, but I did have to replace the undercarriage axle with a scratch built item.

The kit prop is terribly undersized, so it will be replaced. The spinner is a little undersized so needs some fattening out. The elevators didn't really fit too well so these needed a little work. I also separated and re-positioned the elevator.

The lower wing fit was also terrible and needed some filler and sanding. I also re-scribed some of the panel lines on the fuselage, as these are raised in the kit.

Here is the kit as she stands -

So, feeling a bit nostalgic with this one as it progresses - it's just good to get back to that basic spirit of modelling - the quest for simple fun!

Cheers,

BC

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
Re: WiP - Tribute to a Simple Time
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 07:08:57 PM »
Simple = magic.

vB  ;)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 07:17:07 PM »
Great start on a vintage build!

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2020, 07:21:54 PM »
I built a newer boxed version of the same kit a few years back, and it is indeed a shocker.

Really impressed with your work on this Brad!

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2020, 09:25:08 PM »
Might be simple , but very effective . Nice work Brad and nothing wrong with your comic book German . Will you be doing a base for this one ?

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RichieW

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2020, 10:38:45 PM »
Lovely to see this Brad. These ancient kits have given many hours of fun for over half a century. A real pleasure to see one giving so much enjoyment still.

Offline ermeio

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2020, 10:47:52 PM »
It is turning out great!
I can only remember when in the '70s I built that violet-blue model in half an hour...
Two years later I put the dogfight double version together and painted it again in one day :D

Offline smperry

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2020, 11:16:01 PM »
My Stepfather bought one of these kits for 39cents back in 1965. Robo was a bit of a packrat and ended up giving me the kit in the late '90s and I built it in '99 as von Hipple's Dragon ship. It was the first model I used aftermarket parts with, (resin engine and PE cockpit interior and MGs). I guessed on the white chevron on the top wing and after it was done, I came across a photo clearly showing my guess was correct. It got badly broken when the wife took a hammer to my built models and unbuilt kits. It was rebuilt and now sits prominently on the 1/72 shelf of my display case. I believe it was from the first or at least an early production run. The details were very crisp. You could count the slightly raised rivets on the propeller blade sheath. Great little model that brings to mind the fun of building a kit in a day. Get up on Saturday morning, mow the grass for $3.00, ride the bike a mile to the local hobby shop and buy a kit and paint. Ride home and have a finished kit by dinner time with change left over for a trip to the local movie house after dinner.

Definitely will be watching what you do with this one and wishing you as much fun with your model as I had with mine.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2020, 12:26:08 AM »
   I built this one in 1967 in the Goring Jasta 27 scheme of black and white. I recall the project well as it was my first experience with "Invisible Thread" for rigging which was a vast improvement over cotton sewing thread commonly used in my modelling circle. My sole reference source was the good old Aircraft in Profile booklet, I don't recall how I handled the raised headrest or if I just ignored the requirement! Great little kits they were with their plastic bag packaging and those horrible decals of the day! Definitely a pleasant reminder of simpler and happy times a very long time ago. Great project Brad, and sure to be an enjoyable one.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2020, 03:03:16 AM »
So cool, memories from a far past and happy times. Worthy inspiration to dig drawers and cabinets, looking for ancient kits and join the nostalgic board!
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2020, 08:44:13 AM »
Thanks everyone - it's really nice to see that many of us share the same great memories and fondness for these old kits. Airfix was a huge part of my modelling childhood, so it's always great to revisit their old classics.

She may be an old kit but I think there's still life in the old girl :)

Cheers,

BC

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2020, 06:29:49 PM »
Yeah same here Brad - In the late 60's I built the entire range if 1/72nd WW1 models from Airfix. They were all rigged but with cotton!!
They were in a display case I made with sliding perspex doors.
It was for my then father in law, who had it in his work room.
Those were the days - going to the local store and hunting through those plastic bags with the fold over information card stapled to the bag.
Struggling with tube cement and either Airfix or Humbrol enamels.
The kits cost a lot less then than now,

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline Old Man

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2020, 03:09:38 AM »
This is really sweet to see, Sir.

I must have been about ten when I built this. That purple was used in the camouflage scheme fascinated me, and still does.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2020, 03:54:08 AM »
Pretty much the same as the others here. Built a bunch in the late 60's/ early 70's. The Airfix Craftmaster boxings in the US were $.29 at A local Drugstore. Your build is looking great and does bring back memories!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2020, 09:56:42 AM »
Now I really feel like I'm left out of the group . I have never built Aixfix kits except for their new tooled P-51D in 48 scale . I grow up on Monogram and Tamiya . ...I feel so sad now

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .