Author Topic: WiP - Tribute to a Simple Time  (Read 6742 times)

Offline GazzaS

Re: WiP - Tribute to a Simple Time
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2020, 05:57:21 PM »
Now I really feel like I'm left out of the group . I have never built Aixfix kits except for their new tooled P-51D in 48 scale . I grow up on Monogram and Tamiya . ...I feel so sad now

Terri

You're not the only one, Terri.  I my first Airfix kit was only build two years ago.
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline Old Man

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2020, 01:23:31 AM »
Now I really feel like I'm left out of the group . I have never built Aixfix kits except for their new tooled P-51D in 48 scale . I grow up on Monogram and Tamiya . ...I feel so sad now

Terri

You're not the only one, Terri.  I my first Airfix kit was only build two years ago.

Once I started doing 1/72 I preferred Revell to Airfix. It could owe something to being more familiar with Revell, but Airfix was new, and while it had all the RAF subjects, its plastic seemed a little clunky compared to Revell. Their WWI stuff in 1/72 is beautifully moulded. I wouldn't mind having one of their Nieuport 17 kits even now. I did a good deal of Monogram 1/48, WWII Navy planes particularly, and of course in 1/48 started out with Aurora. And those wonderful big Revell 1/28 kits. Those were a revelation.

Online Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2020, 06:13:50 PM »
Hi everyone - some small progress thanks to the drying time of oil paints... I now have a 'wooden' fuselage. I decided to deliberately exaggerate the wood grain for this scale. Why? Because that's what 11 year old me would do! :D

It started off with a base coat of lightened Gunze radome, with some oil paints streaked and stippled over the top:

Then a clear coat of tamiya yellow:

I'll do some 'smoke' outlining of the panels when it comes time to do the weathering and washes.

I also added some green and lilac to the wings (the later of my own concoction, but again I wanted to keep it a bit stereotypically 'purple', but still be believable). No fancy lozenge here folks!

Now, the important question... do I go with the 'famous' box-top livery of Richthofen's red tailed / red nosed machine, or do I do something different? Perhaps a Jasta 12 or 16b machine with a black tail, and a black personal marking? That's quite "German", right?? Perhaps Baumer's Edelweiss marked machine from Jasta 2? Or do i go with something with a little more colour? A Jasta 10 machine with a yellow nose and coloured tail? A Jasta 4 machine with the wound ribbon around the fuselage? A Jasta 76 or 77 machine with blue tail...? What do you reckon...? Inputs welcomed!  ;)

Cheers.

BC
Owner and Administrator
forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2020, 06:51:38 PM »
Looking wonderful Brad.!

The wood grain effect isn’t necessarily too far out of scale either - if the plys are cut in a certain way across outer tree rings then the lines you see will be widely spaced anyway..

As for which one to mark up, one of my considerations is where will it sit on the shelf, and can I make it appear as a contrast to the other models.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 10:53:03 PM by Ian from Doncaster »

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2020, 08:22:31 PM »
Your DV is really looking great Brad. Hard to believe it is the Airfix kit! As for markings, since this is a nostalgia build  perhaps there is a good scheme in the Old Contemporary publication,Aircraft in Profile series?
Personally I would love to see you do a Jasta 4 wound ribbon bird  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2020, 10:25:08 PM »
    Looking very neat Brad. As for color, the brighter, gaudier, and more spectacular the better ........ that's what I'd bet an 11 year old "you" would do!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RichieW

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2020, 12:14:31 AM »
Looks amazing, I love the wood grain and bright colours.

Offline smperry

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2020, 02:20:53 AM »
I love the wood. Grain may be over scale, but it is some of the best oil paint grain I have seen done and the color is light like so many reports mention about Albatri. The green and mauve wings are just right too. This is shaping up into a real gem.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2020, 02:25:58 AM »
It is difficult to believe that this is the old Airfix kit. I made one of these a few years ago for the same reasons as you - nostalgia. You are certainly turning a sow's ear into a silk purse - the wood grain and wings are very good indeed. As for markings I agree with Lance - choose something that is really garish as you probably would have done when you were 11 years old.

My nostalgia build was of a zebra striped aircraft - but you have already painted the fuselage.

Stephen.

Online Brad Cancian

• Administrator
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2020, 09:34:22 AM »
Thanks all!  I tend to agree that some splashes of colour might go well.

To that end, i've had an idea for some markings. The 11 year old me would have read McCudden's Flying Fury, where he describes the famous "green tail", a particular Albatros that he and 56 squadron faced in late 1917 and early 1918, and for which he held quite a lot of respect due to its pilot's flying skill. His description of his adversary's colours reads:

"We got close enough to open fire, and I engaged an Albatros, who was painted with a red nose, a yellow fuselage, and a green tail. He also had the letter K, on his top-plane. This Hun was destined to be always fighting my patrol somehow, and for the next three months we were continually meeting him."

This description has confused historians, as it sounds allot like Jasta 5. However, McCudden goes on to describe the colours of the adversary squadron in this way:

"By now I was in the middle of these Albatroses and saw that they were a patrol of good Huns whom we had fought before. They all had red noses and yellow fuselages, but each had a different coloured tail. There was a red, light blue - who I had sent to sports - black, yellow, black and white striped, and our dear old 'green tail'. By Jove! They were a tough lot."

Modern thinking is that his famous adversary was not from Jasta 5, but from Jasta 35b.

I am thinking perhaps an interpretation on McCudden's famous adversary might be interesting...? Red nose, green tail, "K" in white on the upper wing (and maybe fuselage, also in white, which might have been harder to spot in the heat of combat)... Thoughts?

Cheers,

BC

PS - if anyone wants to read more historical research about who "green tail" was, see here - http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34568

« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 09:41:57 AM by Brad Cancian »
Owner and Administrator

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2020, 10:43:48 AM »
Stripes , nuff said  ;)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2020, 01:40:18 AM »
I think "Green Tail" is an awesome choice Brad!
RAGIII

Online Brad Cancian

• Administrator
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2020, 05:58:50 AM »

I went with this in the end... more to follow...  ;)

Cheers,

BC
Owner and Administrator

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2020, 08:49:49 AM »

I went with this in the end... more to follow...  ;)

Cheers,

BC

Great choice Brad  8) One can pretty much do any color tail and spinner and be fairly accurate !
RAGIII

PS: Not Just because it agreed with Me  ;D
RAGIII

Online Brad Cancian

• Administrator
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2020, 12:29:32 PM »
So, a sneak peek....

This is modelled on a reasonably well known Jasta 4 machine:

The spiral bands are black decal strip. Trying to wrap a straight decal around the Albatros' compound curved fuselage and still get the right number of bands and the right spacing was not fun, but I got there in the end. The decals still need several more applications of decal softener to get them to settle down, then detail painting, a clear coat, and shading / weathering / washes from there.

Cheers,

BC
Owner and Administrator