Author Topic: Something Completely Different: Oertz W6 Flying Schooner  (Read 8004 times)

Offline lone modeller

Re: Something Completely Different: Oertz W6 Flying Schooner
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2021, 07:54:19 AM »
Evening All,

Thank you Frank, Richie, Willem, Dave and Mark for your kind comments which are much appreciated.

Mark: I have consulted your build log very carefully and your method of mounting the wings. However I will not be able to use a centre jig because as I explain here I have had to put the engines and propellor frames into the engine bay before I put the wings in place as it will not be possible to do so if the wings have been mounted - the space is just too small. I think that I have an alternative solution which I will describe in a later post. I do have some experience scratch building pushers and other types including X struts, but none with the compound angles found on this aircraft. I am certainly not expecting a walk in the park but I am reasonably confident that I will be able to mount the wings and keep them properly aligned when I do so, even if it takes several efforts!

The engines and propellor support frame have been installed. I started by putting the propellor supports into pre-drilled holes in the cockpit floor held with CA.

These were followed by the engines which were also CA'd to the wood floor and the rear uprights of the frame which sat over the engine:

The three horizontal braces were added from plastic rod to make the frame rigid:

The structure above the engines looks complicated in photos but is actually fairly simple and consists of mirror halves. I will not try to describe it as it is clear in the photos: basically it was constructed from 30 thou rod held with liquid cement:

Once the basic frame was complete and dry I could add the rear bracing arms and drive shafts to the gear pods:

I have placed the horizontal tail surface on to the rear of the boom to get an idea of what the aircraft will look like when it is finished:

The plastic frame has been painted black and I have made the jigs which I will use to mount the upper wings. I will describe how I mount the wings in the next post - if I am successful of course!

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2021, 08:08:52 AM »
Oh my, it is really starting to get together now Stephen.

Very neat work on the engine structure. I love the peculiar tailplane. I'm sure the forward top wing will come on just fine.

Looking forward to seeing it installed.

Willem

Offline William Adair

« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2021, 11:15:52 PM »
How amazing.  A double pusher too.  You are a man of exceptional taste!

Offline Monty

« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2021, 02:09:26 AM »
Wow! This is amazing modelling! A really great masterclass! I'm enjoying this enormously! Regards, Marc.

Offline DaveB

« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2021, 02:52:18 AM »
Amazing, Steve -

The flying speedboat is really coming together well now

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Bughunter

« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2021, 04:23:32 AM »
Yes Stephen, you made a great progress to convert the nice wooden motor boat into a plane :)
Very clever to combine soldered brass and plastic rod. Rigid enough due to the brass and original look by plastic, which reduces the effort a lot.

Wonderful!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline RichieW

« Reply #66 on: August 29, 2021, 07:43:19 AM »
Beautiful work Stephen, she's looking resplendent in her grey coat. Very nearly there now.

Richie

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2021, 05:39:18 AM »
Just getting caught up on your build Stephen and I will say that this s really starting to look totally cool !

Outstanding work so far !

Alexis , who wants to know will it float ! ?
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline ermeio

« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2021, 06:59:03 AM »
excellent as ever, Stephen
er me

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #69 on: August 30, 2021, 09:40:59 PM »
Your exceptional skill is certainly on display here, Stephen.  Construction of the cage around the engine is very impressive.

Online IanB

« Reply #70 on: August 31, 2021, 03:55:14 AM »
Another exceptional build on it's way by the look of it! Certainly the engine and prop mounts show your usual finesse!

Lovely work!

Ian

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2021, 04:45:02 AM »
Evening All,

Many thanks Willem, Will, Marc, Dave, Frank, Richie, Alexis, Ermeio, Ken and Ian for your very kind comments all of which are much appreciated.

William - pushers rule as far as I am concerned. The only real aeroplanes are pushers with more than one wing.....!

Alexis - no this one will not float! Apparently the original floated very well indeed and had good water handling characteristics. I like it because of its steampunk qualities!

I have mounted the rear wing and rigged it.

Before proceeding with the wings I had to put in the radiator pipes between the engine bay and the lower rear wing - the radiators were mounted on the lower wing. I used 30 thou Evergreen rod for the pipes and put them into holes which I had drilled in the wing:

The white marks on the wing are where the radiators were to be fixed. These were glued in place with supports from stretched sprue behind them. I forgot to photograph them before I mounted the upper wing but they can be seen in photos below.

I have made some simple jigs to support the wings while I put the struts in. The problem with the strut arrangement on this aircraft is that they are angled sideways and forwards, so simple vertical jigs of the type I have used before will not work. However Marklo used a clever jig in his build which was a simple pyramid with the angle of the sides the same as the angle of the struts where they lean towards the hull. The forward angle was marked with a pencil on the side of the jig, and a tab was left on the front or rear edge of the jig to hold the jig on the wing. By placing 2 jigs on each pair of wings and then placing the upper wings on the jigs I could see how the overall structure would look:

Note that the jigs in the images above were part of a trial so the radiators were not fixed at the time. The lines on the side of the front jig which show where the struts will be can be seen in the third photo.

After I had fixed the radiators I put the jigs in place on the rear wing only. To stop the jigs from sliding around I put small pieces of masking tape on the sides and across the top: this prevented sideways and front to rear movement and held the top wing steady. The centre section struts which form a V were put in first and allowed to harden for an hour. Then I could take out a jig on one side, invert the model and put in the outer pair of struts:

Note the centre V struts, the wing jig at the front of the image and the sophisticated supports to hold everything up and square while I was putting struts in place and allowing them to harden. The remaining struts on the port side could then be inserted relatively easily:

Repeat the above process for the other side and all the struts were mounted:

As usual I rig the fore-aft wires between the struts first:

The main wires in the bays between the struts followed:

Now that one wing is in place I can get on with the other and then start on the tail unit and control wires.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #72 on: September 03, 2021, 06:53:01 AM »
Another inspirational scratchbuilding masterclass Stephen. Thanks for sharing your techniques.

Richie

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #73 on: September 03, 2021, 07:12:55 AM »
Stephen, I completely agree with Richie.

Good progress and beautifully executed. And what a clever, simple jig to align the wings!

Willem

Offline William Adair

« Reply #74 on: September 03, 2021, 08:48:29 AM »
This is fantastic.  It’s not an aircraft that I’m familiar with either, so it is especially interesting to see it come together when I have no idea what is coming next.  I’ve been resisting looking it up online so as to avoid “spoilers”  :)