Author Topic: Something Completely Different: Oertz W6 Flying Schooner  (Read 7905 times)

Offline lone modeller

Something Completely Different: Oertz W6 Flying Schooner
« on: July 01, 2021, 07:25:00 AM »
Evening All,

Britmodeller have been running an "Anything But Injection" GB recently and one of the scratch builds was of the Oertz W6 Flugschoner (Flying Schooner) by @marklo. Many of you will know that I have a penchant for the obscure or unknown steampunkt subject: this is a twin biplane, twin-engined pusher so it ticks all of the boxes! Mark is making an excellent job of his model, but there is just one problem - it is in the wrong scale! So I will have to rectify that problem by building one in the True Scale.

For those who have never heard of this type before, here is a link to photos and information:

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&u=http://seawarpeace.ru/deutsch/seaplane/01_main/oertz_w6.html&prev=search&pto=aue

I am making this as part of a GB on another forum (not Britmodeller), and as usual I am employing materials found in any scratch builders kit box, ie wood, plastic sheet, strip, and rod, brass rod, wire and anything that is lying around and looks vaguely useful. Here are the instructions as supplied in my kit:

Hopefully I will be able to produce something resembling the original machine, (there was only one built), in the next few weeks. I have made a small start by laminating some plastic for engine blocks and wing floats, and wood for the hull. The hull shape has been marked out but one of the problems of modern limited run kits is the amount of flash in them: I can see much filing and shaping of wood and plastic in my immediate future as I try to extract a hull from this:

More later.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
Re: Something Completely Different: Oertz W6 Flying Schooner
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2021, 07:35:09 AM »
...and obscure it is!

This will be fun to follow Stephen  :)

Willem

Offline RichieW

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2021, 09:06:29 AM »
Now that is a real oddity, it's definitely got my attention!

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2021, 09:37:26 AM »
Another jewel for your crown!

I'll be following with interest.  I do enjoy your builds as you include info about the real thing.

Offline Marklo

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2021, 04:49:05 AM »
Really looking toward to this after my Oertz experience.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2021, 05:51:41 AM »
Really looking toward to this after my Oertz experience.
[/quote

Hiya Marklo, great to have you here! :)

Richie
« Last Edit: July 02, 2021, 08:24:12 PM by RichieW »

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2021, 06:06:44 AM »
    This one is indeed "completely different" Stephen, and looks like a real challenge! Looking forward to watching you work your modelling magic on this unusual design. Great choice in subjects once again!
Cheers
Lance

Offline DaveB

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2021, 07:46:31 PM »
I always wonder where the hell you manage to find these obscure aircraft, Steve!

Another one I have not heard of before but certainly extremely different.  Your off to a great start and I know this will be another one of your winners when complete.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Bughunter

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2021, 03:50:49 AM »
Oh, another Quadruplane :o Ok, not all wings on top of each other, but four wings ;)
I never heard of this type or the man behind.
In your linked page there is an issue of the Flight magazine mentioned, do you own a copy? Recently there was a link in this forum for  a download, up to 1919 (if I remember right).

I will follow closely.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Beto

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2021, 06:40:47 PM »
Interesting machine. Please check this link:
https://library.si.edu/digital-library/book/atlasdeutscheru00germ

It's a pdf version of the book "Atlas deutscher und auslandischer Seeflugzeuge. Bd. 1" (Atlas of German and Foreign Flying Boats) - Go to pages 49-50 and there are plans and Hull profiles. Hope this helps. In Flight Magazine you'll only find the same pictures already published in the russian site plus some description of the aircraft. You can download the whole Flight Magazine collection from the link I posted in the books section.

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2021, 07:48:41 PM »
Thanks for this link and the other links to the Flight Magazine downloads Beto!

I was a frequent visitor to Flight's archive website, until they took it offline.

Priceless!

Willem
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 07:59:05 PM by Rookie »

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2021, 01:10:07 AM »
I am always amazed by what you can do with a block of wood and sheet styrene! I am sure this one will be no different. A really unusual subject for sure!!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2021, 05:46:29 PM »
Evening All,

Thanks to all of you who have dropped by and left your very kind comments - they are very much appreciated.

Special thanks to Beto for the links to Flight Magazine: this link and the link to the Atlas are especially useful reference material. As it happens I already have the drawings for the Oertz because they are in the German Seaplanes text mentioned in the first post.

Frank: this is not a quadruplane but I anticipate that it is going to offer some similar challenges!

Dave: I have Marklo to thank for finding this one!

I forgot to mention above that the hull is laminated basswood which is easy to shape and scrape and sands down to a very smooth finish. I have removed the flash from the hull - it has taken several hours with a file and glass paper but I am happy with the result so far. I started by removing large pieces from the front on one side and then shaped the remainder of that side as this made it easier for me to hold the piece in a wood vice:

Having achieved the above I shaped and scraped the other side to match:

Lines were drawn across the piece to enable me to draw reasonably accurately the shape of the hull on the side of the block, including the step at the rear:

The bow and rear of the hull upper surfaces could now be filed to shape:

Followed by the removal of the lower rear with a saw to create the step:

The last stage of the shaping was to slope the sides inwards towards the top of the hull:

And round the bow and underside surfaces and and smooth with medium and fine grade glass paper:

To try to ensure that the cross section of the hull was constant I used some paper templates which I had traced and drawn from plans in the German Seaplanes of WW1 volume:

The next stage will be to cut holes in the upper surfaces of the hull to represent the front cockpit and rear cockpit/engine bay. That will have to be done using a milling bit on a drill which I hope to show in the next update when it is all done.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 01:25:28 AM by lone modeller »

Offline macsporran

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2021, 05:52:15 PM »
Real modelling!
Sandy

Offline RichieW

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2021, 07:38:12 PM »
Proper old fashioned craftsmanship, I'm going to follow even more closely than usual and make notes on how everything is kept in alignment. I have gained an even greater respect than ever for scratch builders after my recent trials and tribulations!

Richie