Author Topic: Something Completely Different: Oertz W6 Flying Schooner  (Read 7988 times)

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
Re: Something Completely Different: Oertz W6 Flying Schooner
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2021, 09:38:41 PM »
Nice work getting the wing mounted, Stephen.  This is already shaping up to be an epic build!

Offline DaveB

« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2021, 09:38:55 PM »
That's great progress, Steve -

Starting to look like an aircraft now - or is starting to look like a speed boat with wings .............!

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline RichieW

« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2021, 02:20:15 AM »
Some wonderful craftsmanship on show here Stephen. I feel honoured to have seen this in the flesh on your work bench yesterday. You are a very inspiring man!

Richie

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2021, 02:42:10 AM »
Tail assembly is looking great so far . Engines are turned out super and are going to look great in place .  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Online IanB

« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2021, 02:44:11 AM »
Lovely work as usual. Accurate and clean, if not a little odd!

Ian

Offline William Adair

« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2021, 08:21:00 PM »
Ingenious solution getting the booms through the wings.  As Ian said, its certainly a little odd.  But at the same time it looks really quite luxurious.  :)

Offline Marklo

« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2021, 11:30:14 PM »
Looking good. I just put brass pins through the side of the cabin to secure the front wings on mine but in hind sight I’d probably have put one or more spars running through the engine compartment. I also notice you put the pilot(s?) but in the front opening whereas I put them to the front of the engine compartment behind the main windscreen and assumed the front opening was for an observer/machine gun as there are photos of the other Oertzs with a parabellum mounted to the front.

Loving the build btw.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2021, 07:10:56 AM »
Many thanks Ken, Dave, Richie, Alexis, Ian, William, and Mark for your kind comments - they are much appreciated.

Ian you should know by now that the odder the aeroplane the more likely I am to like it!

Mark: thank you for the comment re-the position of the pilot's cockpit. I completely agree with you that the pilot's should be in the engine compartment in front of the engines and I have already changed the positions of the seats. I have not seen the photo showing the mg in the front cockpit, but the position of the windscreen shows that the pilot's must have been in front of the engines. I had misinterpreted the photos: another fellow modeller had pointed out my error.

With reference to the lower front wings I am not sure whether spars crossed the engine compartment. Logically it would seem probable, certainly in the case of the front spar, but the rear spar would have interfered with the engines so I am completely at a loss to understand how that part of the structure was arranged. However as I simply do not know what the arrangement was I will leave the space blank and I am in the process of epoxying the wings to the hull. When the epoxy is cured I will pin the wings to the hull with brass rod, but I am aware that this will be a relatively weak part of the model. I will post more later.

Stephen. 

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2021, 01:10:47 AM »
Your usual outstanding work Stephen! The wing and structure look great!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2021, 01:31:43 AM »
Evening all,

Thanks Rick for your kind comment - it is much appreciated.

I used epoxy resin to fix the lower front wings to the hull because I find it gives a more robust joint than CA in such locations. I had to fix one wing at a time, which meant two evenings. Then to strengthen the joint I drilled holes in the wing and hull and inserted small brass pins and filled the holes with filler:

Prior to fixing the wings to the hull I had glued the wing tip floats to the undersides:

Painting and decorating followed. The colour scheme is not known for certain but B & W photographs suggest that it was a variation on two-tone grey with a black stripe along the top sides of the hull. I used Revell acrylic Hellgrau (light grey 76), for the upper surfaces of the wings, tail unit, fins and rudders and hull, and the same mixed with approximately the same amount of white for the remainder. I mix the colours with water so that the paint is very thin: it then gives a very even coat which is as good as using a spray gun IMO. The one problem with this method is that it takes lots of coats to get a smooth and even finish - up to 15 in this case. The initial coat also looks positively awful and the modeller has to continue despite the very strong desire to give up and try another method! The black stripe was hand painted using black acrylic but not watered down in this case. Transfers might have given a cleaner edge but would have been a nightmare to cut and apply, and as I do not have any black block I did not have the option.

The markings were simple - Iron Crosses above and below the upper and lower wings respectively, and on both sides of the rudders, all on white squares. There was a pennant number on the hull in black: all of the markings were printed by Arctic Decals for me.

The next step will be to put the engines and propellor mountings into the hull and then the most difficult part - fitting the two upper wings. The struts on the wings sloped inwards and forwards at the same time: I am not looking forward to that stage and am thinking through different options as to how I might go about it. The rigging by contrast will I think be straightforward!

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.

Bughunter

« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2021, 07:13:40 AM »
That is a great movie here: fifty two shades of grey!
That is definitely something completely different, but wonderful project.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline RichieW

« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2021, 07:32:16 AM »
Hi Stephen, that is really looking beautiful in its grey overcoat and markings. I don't envy your task of getting the top wing mounted with the struts all aligned but I know you will manage it perfectly. I'm excited to see the next update. This is a weird and wonderful project, it's hard to imagine such an oddity ever took to the air!

Richie

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2021, 04:51:59 PM »
This is a brilliant build Stephen!

I think your work is amazing. Not only a very unusual aircraft, but also beautiful craftmanship, there is so much to learn here.

I just keep reading back in this build log. Still amazed about the precise and clean soldering work.

Really looking forward to the next update.

Willem

Offline DaveB

« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2021, 06:56:30 PM »
Moving a pace now, Steve -

The shade of grey you have selected seems a good choice to me.  Hopefully, not much further to go now?

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline Marklo

« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2021, 07:02:08 AM »
Looking great. I found that the drill template for the wings and the centre jig I concocted were essential for the struts. I probably learned a lot from my earlier he51 that struts with a compound angle like me these are trouble. It was tricky enough in 1/48  will probably be extremely challenging in braille scale :)