Author Topic: Bristol Scout, MAC Distribution, 1:72 scale  (Read 2537 times)

Offline IanB

Bristol Scout, MAC Distribution, 1:72 scale
« on: July 01, 2021, 03:23:53 AM »
This has been whispering quietly to me for the last few days and I finally decided to dig it out and take a closer look.

I've built one other MAC kit, the Fokker D.VII, and I seem to remember it went together fairly well. I replaced the engine and struts but don't recall any other issues.

I suppose I'd better follow tradition and start with "what's in the box"...

First off, the two parts trees.

The detail looks pretty good. Nice crisp mouldings. A bit of flash on the mould joint lines but nothing major.

All that moulded rib detail will be removed anyway as it's overdone, and even on the wing undersides!

There are also a couple of resin Lewis guns, a small etch sheet and a clear piece for the windscreen and instrument panel (which is wrong anyway!)

Decals look good, with 4 options included

I want an early RNAS aircraft so will either do 1250 as included

or 1244 as seen in this pic

Both were at Eastchurch in June 1915 and there are pics of both in the Windsock datafile. The kit shows 1250 with an over wing Lewis but the photo doesn't and since I want something "accurate but representative" I will probably go for 1244 and fit a Lewis to the right side of the fuselage firing at 30° off the centre line, as fitted to quite a few RNAS aircraft. It isn't visible in the photo, but then neither is the right side so no-one can say it wasn't there!

That will mean I will have to make either decals or masks for the tail numbers, and I will also have to do the same for the roundals as the photo clearly shows them full chord, and with no white centre, just a thin white ring around both inner and outer edges of the red ring. The kit roundals are too small and have a solid white centre.

OK, so onto the parts themselves. I've already mentioned that I will remove all the moulded rib details, as I don't like that look, although it is moulded in the right places so it could be acceptable for others.

What about size?

Both upper and lower wings are slightly short (3mm, about 21cm in full size) so I will add fillets to the tips to correct that.

The fuselage is also slightly short. The error appears to be in the rear fuselage so I'll probably cut it at the rear decking once it's all glued together and add a small fillet to correct the length. There is also a moulded line just forward of the tail which shouldn't be there so it will be filled. It looks as though MAC have mistaken the front horizontal stabilizer strut for a fuselage join line!

The tail parts are nicely sized, but again have overdone rib detail. They are also quite thick so I'll replace them with sheet stock as I usually do.

The engine is not too bad, especially as it's almost entirely hidden in the cowling. But it's the wrong engine! Early machines had a 7 cylinder Gnôme, not a 9 cylinder Le Rhone! I raided a Sikorsky S.XVI kit for the correct engine (that aircraft did have a 9 cylinder Le Rhône and I already have a Small Parts replacement for it so I won't need it there!). 

That will do the trick!
The cowling will also need adjusting slightly as the earlier ones were more rounded at the front. It should be an easy fix.
Eventually I took sanding sticks to plastic and the wings are done.

There are 2 upper wings in the kit, one with a centre cut-out for a Lewis mounting and one without, so these are comparing the unaltered one with the one I've done. 

Unfortunately the lower wings are far too thin now I've removed the rib detail so I'll scratch new ones from card. Odd that they were different thicknesses!
That's the state of play for now, thanks for looking in!

Stay safe!

Ian

Offline IanB

Re: Bristol Scout, MAC Distribution, 1:72 scale
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2021, 03:40:20 AM »
I've made a little more progress on this over the last couple of days. The first job was to take care of the wings.

As I mentioned, the lower ones were too thin after the sanding so I made new ones from 40thou (1mm) sheet.

They were scored and snapped out of the sheet, then sanded to the correct shape and aerofoil section. I actually enjoy that part as I find sanding very relaxing. OK, I'm weird!

The upper wing was cut in the centre and a length of 1.5 x 2.5mm rod was glued in to widen it to the correct span. A couple of small pieces of 2mm rod placed under the tips and a weight at the centre ensured the correct dihedral. Next day (today) that was all sanded to shape.

While looking at the plans another detail suddenly jumped out at me. It was clearly printed in black type..... the plans of the C show the later, wider, tail surfaces as fitted to airframes after 3013. Mine was before that! The plans for the A were duly copied and the tail surfaces cut out.

Good job I noticed!

The last job today then was to glue the wing plans to the wings so I can remove the ailerons, and trim up the tail plans ready to cut new parts from 20 thou (0.5mm) sheet tomorrow.

That's where she sits as of tonight. Tomorrow I hope to finish preparing the wings and tail surfaces.

Take care, thanks for looking in, and stay safe!

Ian
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 02:18:41 PM by IanB »

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2021, 05:01:52 AM »
It is really nice to see another early type being built. I do have this on my to do list but sadly it is some way down, but watching you and Richie turn out two first class models means that when i do get around to mine I will have plenty of reference materials.

Looking forward to seeing more of your magic - been missing it of late!

Stephen.

Offline Early Bird Fan

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2021, 07:49:27 AM »
great work so far, i'm not at the stage yet where i'm cutting models apart to make them 100% accurate and have full respect for you guys who do, the end results always end up looking just that little bit better.

Offline WD

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2021, 08:50:41 AM »
Great work so far sir. As Lone Modeler said, nice to see and early bird being built, and in the one true scale at that! :)

My only experience with MAC kits was with the SPAD VII C.1, and the trailing edges were far too thick. I believe this is a trait of MAC kits if memory serves.

Model on sir!  I look forward to seeing your progress.

WD

Online RAGIII

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2021, 09:06:57 AM »
Your usual outstanding work. Taking kit parts, conversion, and Scratch building to a new level!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2021, 07:12:58 PM »
Great to see you tackle this little nice kit. Indeed, after some corrections, which you indicated it builds into a fine model. You may wish to see my build log
https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=3922.0
If the photos do not show, let me know, I must have them in my storage.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline DaveB

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2021, 07:55:34 PM »
Good, choice of subject Ian -

Great start so far mate.   Regarding the slightly short fuselage length.  Would anyone really notice this - I just wonder if it is really worth the effort of altering?

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline RichieW

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2021, 08:47:26 PM »
Excellent subject! I am following in eager anticipation. I have grown to love this little aircraft. Having followed one of your builds before I know you will turn out something special!

Richie

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2021, 09:46:55 PM »
nice choice of subject and bravo for the corrections you are doing.  You'll end up with a fine model.

Offline IanB

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2021, 03:39:35 AM »
It is really nice to see another early type being built. I do have this on my to do list but sadly it is some way down, but watching you and Richie turn out two first class models means that when i do get around to mine I will have plenty of reference materials.

Looking forward to seeing more of your magic - been missing it of late!

Stephen.

Many thanks Stephen. I must admit I have totally lost my mojo recently. Threading the spokes on the Mercedes wheels has sapped what was left, and it took the Group Build on BM to coax me into starting this one. My hope is that getting back into familiar territory will revitalise my mojo, enabling me to not only complete this one, but also the Merc (Matchbox 1:32 SSKL link here if you're interested) https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235037851-mercedes-benz-sskl-matchbox-132-plus-scratchbuilt-and-3d-printed-bits/

PrzemoL - thanks for the link, that will be a very useful reference!

Dave - yes, I would!  ;)

Rick, many thanks, that's a great compliment!

Thanks to Kensar, Ritchie, WD and Early Bird Fan for the interest and feedback, it's good to be back!

Ian
« Last Edit: July 02, 2021, 03:44:49 AM by IanB »

Offline IanB

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2021, 11:14:22 PM »
I got a couple of hours in after work today, so a bit more progress on this one.
Ailerons removed and new tail surfaces made from 0.5mm sheet stock.

The edges were give a quick paring with a scalpel blade to remove the sharpness, other than that they were just cut and sanded to shape.

I think that counts as an improvement!

Ian

Offline RichieW

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2021, 11:19:04 PM »
That's a big improvement, the tail feathers in particular look a much more accurate shape.

Richie

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2021, 01:16:56 AM »
Yes certainly better than before.

Stephen.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2021, 10:37:28 PM »
Terrific work as always! Looking forward to more!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler