Author Topic: Bristol Scout, MAC Distribution, 1:72 scale  (Read 2525 times)

Offline IanB

Re: Bristol Scout, MAC Distribution, 1:72 scale
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2021, 10:19:26 PM »
There's been a little more progress here over the last few days. I've also done a little more research and I now realise that the angled fuselage mounts were later than the period I want to depict. Most of the early aircraft at Eastchurch were involved in trials of various weapons, from darts to grenades, as anti-Zeppelin techniques. In fact it wasn't even a given that machine guns were the most desirable weapon at that time. As a result of that, I will probably do 1246, which WAS documented as having a Lewis gun mounted on the upper wing at this time. This was also the aircraft involved in testing the tail trestle used for the first ship-borne take-off by an aeroplane. That was also a Bristol Scout, number 1255, flown from HMS Vindex by Flt Commander BF Fowler on November 3rd 1915. The take-off run was 46 feet - the flight deck was 64 feet long, giving a usable run of about 50 feet! (The tyres were chalked so the run could be accurately measured).

Fuselage interior detail has been added. I used 0.25 x 0.75mm rod as I couldn't find my 0.25 x 0.5mm. Of course I found it the next day after it had all set solid so it will stay slightly oversized. I also added a false floor to hide the join, and a small panel behind the pilot's back. The details will be added after it's all painted.

Wing spars have also been added from stock rod

and finally I decided I'd add a little bling in the form of a Barracuda resin seat (the smaller one)

Last thing this afternoon was a blast of CDL on the interior. This will also be the base for the wood so I did the prop too.

Sorry, those are a bit washed out!

That's it for today, also got half of another Merc wheel done, so the mojo seems to be returning!

Thanks for looking in and stay safe!

Ian

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2021, 10:54:59 PM »
Nice progress. I don't think anyone will notice the frames are a bit oversized through that small opening. Besides that "Bling" in the form of the seat will catch all of the attention  8) Looks Great to me!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2021, 01:49:27 AM »
The Barracuda seats are really top notch and add real bling to a model. I agree with Rick - the slightly oversize frame will not be noticeable when all is in place.

Stephen.

Offline FAf

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2021, 05:59:59 AM »
Great work and of course both Rick and Stephen are right.
/Fredrik

Offline IanB

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2021, 03:48:48 PM »
No progress on this today unfortunately, as I spent over 5 hours at the local hospital fulfilling the local requirements (which include fitting a tracking watch) after developing Covid symptoms yesterday, and having the resulting PCR test come back positive this morning.

The plus side is I now have 10 days free to concentrate on nothing but modelling!

See you soon!

Ian

Offline RichieW

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2021, 07:20:08 PM »
Sorry to hear you picked up the dreaded Covid, hope you recover fully soon. On the plus side, 10 days of uninterrupted modelling will see this lovely little aircraft taking shape.

Speedy recovery.
Richie

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2021, 11:30:10 PM »
Ian , I wish a speedy recovery and bench time goes well

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2021, 04:12:06 AM »
I also wish you a Quick and speedy No Bad symptoms Recovery!
RAGIII

Offline IanB

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2021, 12:01:27 AM »
Many thanks for the kind wishes Richie, Alexis, and Rick. Much appreciated!

Right, where were we?

Prop has been finished with highly thinned leather followed by clear orange as usual. 

I'm still not sure about that, I may redo it.

The Barracuda seat is very nice, but has no cushion for some reason, so I made one out of an offcut of plastic card. I astonished myself by actually getting the curve bang at the back spot on at the first effort! It was then painted with MIG light wood to give it a slightly darker shade than the linen.

After that it was time to add some interior detail. There isn't much, but it needs what little there is! In addition to the seat and framework already mentioned, I cut two thin strips from a beer can for the foot rests (why paint plastic to look like aluminium when you can use aluminium?), then made up a rudimentary pair of rudder pedals, a joystick, and an instrument panel - the PE one is nice but it's totally wrong! I also added some of the interior bracing with 0.06mm nickel chrome wire just for the heck of it.

I've been doing this in between attempting to get the Merc wheels finished, which is a soul destroying task, so the "break" is welcome!

[/url

Once that was al done there was only one thing for it....

There's a slight lip on the underside but that should sand down easily enough, all other seams are good.

You'll also notice the cowling there - two thin discs of sheet were glued onto the front and then sanded back to give the more rounded front of the earlier cowlings fitted to the Gnome engined aircraft.

As it happens, I had a few pre cut discs that fitted perfectly left over from building the brakes for the Merc!

I also took a look at the kit wheels - they're not bad, apart from the inner sides.

PPP has been applied!

So for tomorrow it looks like finishing off the wheels, then tidying up the fuselage joints and maybe getting some primer on to see how it looks.

Thanks for looking in, and stay safe!

Ian

Offline RichieW

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2021, 01:10:46 AM »
Great to see you on good form still Ian. What's bothering you about the prop? I think it looks wonderful, the grain effect looks perfectly in scale and I like the colour very much too. Great work on reshaping the cowling,  there's nothing like a happy coincidence to raise a smile. I must check out the Merc thread now. Very much looking forward to the next update!

Richie

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2021, 07:22:14 AM »
Excellent progress on this little Bird! The interior, seat, panel etc are Great!
RAGIII

Offline WD

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2021, 10:15:38 AM »
Excellent!

WD