Author Topic: Bristol Scout C (1/72, MAC Distribution)  (Read 12991 times)

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
Bristol Scout C (1/72, MAC Distribution)
« on: August 07, 2014, 08:22:45 AM »
The kit has been well known for a few years:
http://www.mac.distribution.cz/model-kits.php?akce=model&nazev=bristol-scout&id=94

I have had it in my stash for some time now but was quite intimidated by it. However, finally I decided to give it a go. I want to build the famous Lanoe Hawker's 1611 which is an early C version. This makes the build even more problematic, because the kit parts are rather more to D than C. But let's start from the beginning.

First of all the rib structure of the flying and control surfaces is far too emphasized. Also the profiles of are too thick, the trailing edges literally thicker than the leading edges should be. So I decided to sand them all flush and will try to "rebuild" the lost surface waves by means of optical illusion - the postshading. Thus, the profiles I got are now much more to the scale:

Additionally, the lower wings from the kit required scribing the ailerons.

The upper wings were too short in span. I decided to cut off the outer portions from the centre-piece, correct the profile, insert 1mm plastic stripes and glue them back together using a cardboard jig which will be also useful later, when the lower wings will be attached to the fuselage.

The tailplane in the kit was the large version used in later C's and D's. The photo of Hawker's C shows clearly the earlier smaller version. Unfortunately, even that the kit had a larger version it was too short in chord. So once more - sand flush, trim the outer sections, cut off the elevator segments, insert the pieces of plastic (again about 1mm) and glue the pieces together again.

The kit includes a PE fret with sides of the interior structure. But it has little to do with the reality and is far underscale in order to make it fit inside the thick-sided fuselage. I will try to scratch build the interior but first I had to substantially sand the interior of the fuse halves to make the walls much, much thinner.

I have also decided to replace those blobs of plastic which imitate engines in the kit. I have bought and MANAGED to assemble the Small Stuff Le Rhone 9c fantastic replica. I must admit I was hard put to it with this tiny masterpiece of resin technology. But here it is after a lot of sweating, cursing, etc. For instance, I managed to lose three spark plugs before I found a safe method to handle them from the sprue to their holes in the cylinders. Luckily the manufacturer provided some spares!

Inevitably the true-to-scale engine is much larger than the kit original, so there is a problem with the cowling. Additionally the kit part had a too large opening. So I managed to build one to the scale from some substantially thinned spare parts from Eduard's Ni17. This one in turn will require some modifications to the fuselage front. But that later...

I only wonder if it is at all worth to bury the Small Stuff engine inside the cowling which will reveal just this

More to come soon.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 08:30:03 AM by PrzemoL »
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Bristol Scout C (1/72, MAC Distribution)
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 08:57:59 AM »
you have made a great start with this very attractive aeroplane Przemol, the alterations you made to the wing and tail are well done and the small Stuff engine looks magnificent, looking forward to following along with this build.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Thumbs up

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 09:44:01 AM »
Prezmol you are a true master of 1/72 and I have learnt a lot from you and this is an aircraft that I would like to make.Already I have learnt not to bother with Plastic injection in this scale,but to use Joe Chubbocks excellent Libra rendition of the scout in vac form.I also have Small stuffs excellent engines at hand.I shall be watching over our shouder!

Offline IanB

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 10:32:05 AM »
Great start Prez.
 I shall be watching this with interest as I also have this one in my stash. On first looks it appears pretty good, but obviously looks can be deceiving.....

Ian

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 02:03:46 PM »
does seem a waste to put such a nice engine under the bristol scouts tiny opening cowl. but you will know its there.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 02:05:27 PM »
As always your work is outstanding! I am really looking forward to your progress and will be keeping close watch on your build!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 10:13:47 PM »
Looking forward to this one  :)

Shame that the cowl cover up so much of the engine , it is beautifully cast !

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline mgunns

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 10:20:54 PM »
Hello Prez:

This is going to be a fun one to watch as well.  Too bad about all the effort put into the engine to only have it all covered up.   With only the front piece being visible, maybe it would be worth using the kit supplied engine.  That way you wouldn't have to do any major surgery to make the new larger cowl fit the model.  Either way, it will be interesting to watch you work your skills on this.

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 04:31:25 AM »
You are off to a flying start here Prez. The Bristol Scout is not on my list at the m,omen but it could be added in the near future! I shall follow this build with great interest as I watch a master at work.

Offline Chip

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2014, 06:15:48 AM »
I believe the early Scout Cs had a 7 cylinder Gnome Lambda 80hp engine so maybe the deep cowling is a blessing !!!

Offline PrzemoL

• Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2014, 08:09:53 AM »
Thank you, everybody!

Chip, you are most probably right - many thanks for helping me avoid such a blunder! I will keep this Le Rhone for my nearest build - HR Models Pup and will use Small Stuff Gnome Lambda instead. In any case, the kit cowling is too small compared to the scale drawings in WD.

Offline TobyCoulson

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2014, 11:49:49 PM »
Oddly enough I've just started this model myself  but it won't be a patch on yours. Your attention to detail is very impressive
Ale should be drunk out of a glass. Lager should be drunk out of desperation

Offline PrzemoL

• Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2014, 05:11:51 AM »
Thank you, Toby. BTW, it would be nice to see your progress on this fine little model.

Meanwhile, the work contiunued on the interior. Yet, before this I found out another problem, namely, the fuselage was too narrow all along its length. I decided to add 0.25mm stripes of plastic along both mating surfaces of the fuse halves. Then I built the interior structure on the sides using thin plastic profiles, added rigging from elastic thread. To avoid the problem with the seam visible on the bottom I used a thin PE plate to imitate the fuselage bottom to which I added the bottom transverse truss elements, rigging and built the rudder bar/control stick station using plastic pieces, spare PE elements, wire and the hand grip from the PE fret of the kit. The control lines are tightened between the rudder bar, control stick and two plastic blocks fixed inside the fuselage well to the back not to be seen when the fuselage is closed. The instrument board is from the kit PE, too.

Then, after joining the fuselage halves I have tightened two rigging crosses (vertical and top horizontal) behind the pilot. Here I have used two tiny self made eyelets which were later hidden by the top transverse member of the truss.

The pilot seat (made from dedicated Part PE elements, the cushion cut from the kit seat and the harness from the kit PE fret) will jump in when I finish sanding of cockpit coaming rebuiilt using thick CA glue.

All the fuselage joints are now filled with liquid CA glue and await full setting before I start sanding and polishing them. However, the bottom tip of control stick with two cables is already build, sanding will require some care here.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2014, 06:41:06 AM »
Simply STUNNING work as always in this scale! The interior and mods you have made to fix the issues are excellent!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2014, 06:53:51 AM »
Very ingenious method of pulling the internal rigging tight inside the cockpit. The interior detail is simply amazing - up to your usual standard of course. This will be another excellent model from your work place.