Author Topic: Building your first resin kit  (Read 19439 times)

Offline Monty

Re: Building your first resin kit
« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2021, 03:20:26 AM »
Yup! Agree with everyone above! I'm looking forward to this! I see there is a lot of cleaning up to do on the parts, Alexis, please take us through this slooowly! It's quite important and could destroy stuff... Regards, Marc.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2021, 10:27:49 AM »
Thanks guys ,

Marc , no worries I will go slow and yes there is a lot of blokes to be removed and clean up but once this gets started it goes quick .

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2021, 09:14:54 PM »
Sorry for being late to this excellent thread. As was mentioned, I do have some experience with resin kits. But Alexis has done a great job giving lots of advice that I would also sign to.

Maybe a few comments from my experience. One came to my mind when I saw that question from Rick

I hope you don't mind a specific question. I have the proper PE blades for resin cutting. I still am questioning how one removes parts like this prop from the blocks. The prop blades are Extremely thin. Any suggestions appreciated!
RAGIII

I would still use the razor saw to cut the bulk of the resin cast block but leaving about 2 mm thick layer of it, I would not do it just at the connection to the real part. Thus one avoids putting to much stress to the delicate element, much more fragile than the solid casting block.
Then I would remove the remainder of the block, slice after slice, with a sharp razor blade. I prefer these to modelling knives because they have much thinner blades and do not stress the resin bits too much. The last layer I would remove by delicate sanding.

And a comment on adhesives. I use two types of CA glue only - thin and gel. And for the majority of assembly I use the thin one. I secure the elements to be joined observing the proper geometry - with tape (fuselage halves), cardboard templates (wings to fuselage), any kind of supports (struts), whatever suits better and then simply pour the glue into the joints. When it gets hold at several spots I remove the element from the jig and fill the remainder of the joints. After that I clean the excess of the glue.

Once I tried epoxy glue which gives some time for the geometry adjustment but then I discovered its strength was not satisfactory and had to redo the joints with CA.

For cleaning the resin elements I use mild detergent. I have never had any problem with painting after this. But definitely using the alcohol is more secure.

And I will be glad to answer any further questions.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #63 on: June 15, 2021, 01:07:40 AM »
Thanks for commenting on My question Przemo! Rather than continuing to Hijack Alexis thread I asked the question in hints and tips  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #64 on: June 15, 2021, 01:26:14 AM »
Rick , it's alright if others post . I see no Hijacking at all . I encourage others to post their methods here . We all have different ways of doing things and the more info shared here arms the builder with more knowledge  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #65 on: June 15, 2021, 01:43:01 AM »
Rick , it's alright if others post . I see no Hijacking at all . I encourage others to post their methods here . We all have different ways of doing things and the more info shared here arms the builder with more knowledge  :)

Alexis

Thanks Alexis. I was concerned about My Hijacking...not Przemo's  answer  ;D I had another set of props from the same kit so figured I would ask in the hints and tips section  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #66 on: June 15, 2021, 10:33:58 PM »
 :) :) :) 8)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2021, 05:44:44 AM »
My deepest apologies for letting this one fall behind on the up-dates . Life really busy all of sudden . I should be back with this again next month . Or sooner ....

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline Monty

« Reply #68 on: July 29, 2021, 03:41:31 AM »
Looking forward to it! ATB, Marc

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #69 on: January 06, 2022, 06:44:18 AM »
Yes , very late reply back , but you know ...better late then never !

Thanks Marc , will be back on this one shortly here as soon as other buld blogs are wrapped up . Don't have the room which I once had so .......Stayed tuned !

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2022, 10:54:24 AM »
Thanks for starting this resin blog.  I have built many 1/72 resin kits but don’t prefer them. Although most resin kits are very detailed with feather thin trailing edges on the wings.  I’m just most leery of the wings warping over time. 

I am excited to see you building the SM.1!  This is my choice for my first ever complete scratch build. I don’t know of any 1/72 kits offered for this one.  I’ll be following and taking copious notes!