Author Topic: Building your first resin kit  (Read 19460 times)

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
Re: Building your first resin kit
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2021, 02:05:25 AM »
I have build many resin kits over the years and one step I ALWAYS do at the very beginning is to wash all the resin parts with a automobile sidewall cleaner or other cleaner that will remove silicone.  Resin kits frequently use a silicone based mould release agent.  I do this at the very beginning so I don't spread the silicone around to all the parts while handling them. 
Paint will not stick to resin if silicone is present.  Sometimes the contaminate penetrates into the resin and this can be very difficult to paint over.  Unfortunately, I don't have a sure fire fix for this issue.
I don't know if you have had similar experiences, Alexis, and I hope you don't mind me chiming in here.

Offline Monty

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2021, 03:59:12 AM »
Some really useful advice here, Alexis and Ken, I am paying attention! Regards, Marc.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2021, 07:20:37 AM »
Don't mind at all Ken , the more info people have the better they get !

For cleaning the parts I use 91% Isopropyl Alcohol . I pick it up at Walmart . This will remove any silicone left form the moulds and it will also draw out and oils in the resin as well . Lighter fluid will also work but the parts will need to be washed off with soap and water afterwards .

Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2021, 10:54:14 AM »
Many thanks for the very useful advice in this thread. I've learned a lot from these posts which again illustrate how good this Forum is and more importantly, how helpful and supportive our members are for one another. Thanks folks!

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline hsmed

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2021, 04:44:49 PM »
This is a great guide/tutorial in building resin kits, Alexis. I really appreciate your work 👍👍👍

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2021, 02:09:55 AM »
Good to know about the alcohol.  I'll have to try it on my next resin kit.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2021, 03:09:45 AM »
You guys are welcome  :)

Ken , I have been using alcohol for cleaning now for years . I also use it for cleaning my brake rotors on my mountain bike , stripes all the crap off and will also pull the pads and let them soak in a bath for a few minutes and then wipe them . Takes all the contaminants out out of the pads and prolongs their life .

Okay we made this far so what about paint ?

You don't need any special paint or primer for resin . What ever paints you use on your bench now is all you need and your favorite primer .

There are resin primers on the market which you can get , but I never saw the reason on using them . But that choice is yours . Go with what you are comfortable using .

I use Tamiya paint pretty much for everything . I use their Acrylic line and thin with their lacquer thinner . This smooths the paint better and it also creates better abrasion then their X20A thinner .

« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 03:17:02 AM by Alexis »
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2021, 03:15:01 AM »
I also use their lacquer line of paint , love this stuff ! But it can only be thinned with their brand for this paint . ( orange cap ) Their lacquer thinner which is the yellow cap will not work with these lacquer line . I love working with these for you can get a better control on transparent layers achieving a better over all effect .

Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline Edo

« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2021, 03:41:04 PM »
hey Alexis! this is very useful!
lots of infos and tips....

but how do you manage rescribbing panel lines square? also it seems to me that I always scrib too deep and too narrow compared to the model panel lines... so never replace them propperly...
thank you

ciao
edo

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2021, 05:20:50 AM »
Great tips so far Alexis. I seem to already have "Most" of what I need  ;D
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2021, 10:26:04 PM »
I hope you don't mind a specific question. I have the proper PE blades for resin cutting. I still am questioning how one removes parts like this prop from the blocks. The prop blades are Extremely thin. Any suggestions appreciated!
RAGIII

« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 11:37:09 PM by RAGIII »

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2021, 03:32:03 AM »
Hi Edo ,

Panel lines are a challenge for as all but there are ways around them . It really depends on the type of scriber . The squadron one I use cuts a " V" shape channel . The hard you press the deeper it goes making the line wider so the key is to rather make light passes until the width matches the others . Took me a while to learn this  ;)

I have PE scriber but I really don't care for them , can't control the width of line needed . The old tried and test method is a sewing needle in a pin vise . Or the back side of the tip in a #11 blade . For my straight edge I scriber along a metal ruler or will use dymo tape . If I make a mistake I will fill that line with stretched spuce form the kit using Tamiya quick setting . It melts the plastic faster . This of course is for plastic kits . On resin kits If I need to redo that line I fill with super glue , sand/polish and start over .

On plastic kits once the line is made I lightly sand it to rid of build up and then run tamiya thin in the line and this will smooth it out .

Rick ,

That is a nice prop and I never seen one cast that way and ..yeah how does one remove the bloke with damaging the prop it's self .

I would use the back side of a # 11 blade on the underside of the prop and score it free , better control then using a saw blade . Resin scores quicker then plastic so care still is needed and only slight pressure . This might be time consuming but will give you less clean up .

Thanks guys

Alexis 

Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2021, 03:45:31 AM »
Okay I have selected two kits which you good folks can choose which one will be built .

Choices are the following

Copper State Models

HB W-12

Or

Salmson-moineau S.M. 1

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2021, 04:39:54 AM »
Hi Alexis,
I would vote for the Salmson.

Willem

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2021, 05:13:56 AM »
I am good with either one but if a vote is needed I will go with the salmson. More complex and rigging involved!
RAGIII

PS: Thanks for the advice on the prop!