Author Topic: Building your first resin kit  (Read 19441 times)

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Re: Building your first resin kit
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2021, 07:44:52 AM »
 :) Up-date starts on the end of last page  :)
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2021, 07:45:38 AM »
 :)
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2021, 07:45:59 AM »
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2021, 07:47:44 AM »
Up next will be tools/glues and the do's and don'ts working with resin .

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Online RAGIII

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2021, 12:01:43 AM »
I will be following along on this Tutorial Alexis  ;D
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2021, 09:52:48 PM »
Thanks Rick  :)

Saw blades of different lengths are very helpful for removing the casting blokes . These are PE blades from RB Productions . They have different sets available so if you don't have any I do recommend them . There are different manufacturers of these out there .

If it's a really large casting bloke I won't use a hand saw . Takes forever cutting it off so I will use my dremel with a circular saw blade . Only takes a few seconds to cut through your nail and such so be careful when holding the part .

WEAR A MASK WHEN CUTTING !!!! Resin dust is very bad to be breathing in ( same as plastic dust ) . To help reduce the amount of dust , dip the saw blade in water or add a small drop or two right on the part . I will do this with plastic as well . I always have a small dish of water on the bench when doing task like this .

If the blade starts to get clogged I wipe it with a towel to clean out the teeth
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2021, 10:13:38 PM »
For cleaning up panel ines or have to re-scribe  them or other lost details are the same I use for plastic kits . Squadrons panel line scriber . I have been using this tool now for 30 years . The other scriber I use is a dental tool and has multi functions , scribing scrapping . Not sure were one can pick this up at . I got my from my dentist but I'm sure you can find these on line .
You don't have to get . What ever you use now for scribing is just fine .

Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2021, 10:20:09 PM »
Since most of the kits I have need strut replacement measuring tools are a must . I use a digital caliper and a ruler for this task  .

Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2021, 10:37:39 PM »
So is drilling into resin any different then plastic ...nope ! It's the same but you will have clearer holes then you would with plastic .
When drilling into plastic you always have the ridge which needs to be sanded or scrap away . Resin you don't have this .

You can use whatever drill bits you want . The bit's I use I pick up at a Rock and Gem shop . These are for drilling into rock and I started using these 5 years ago and they are still sharp . I drill into resin , plastic , wood , metal . Only drawback is they aren't cheap . For a set of 12 bits it cost me 33 bucks , but in the long run I'm not having to constantly be replacing bits . 

I was ask what is the tape on the pin vice for ?  This stops the damn thing form rolling off the bench  ;)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 09:43:48 PM by Alexis »
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2021, 11:06:13 PM »
Okay so what about glues !

Well you have the option of super glue or epoxy . I don't use epoxy glue at all . Just something about the smell which really turns my tummy .

I do use three types of super glue .

Thin - I use for PE parts or small resin parts for in the cockpit or really fine details .

Medium - I use for all other parts to be joined 

Thick - I use for filling in seems or small imperfections .

When joining parts such as the fuselage I run glue down the whole seem . I don't spot tack it  and fill with filler . This will not create a strong join . Resin reacts different to environment temperatures then plastic does .So you don't want seems opening up later . Also by doing this it acts as the filler as well . Just remember then the super glue needs to be sanded right away . DON"T LET THIS SIT OVERNIGHT to fully harden . Same as with plastic models . You will remove more resin then the harden glue when sanding 

WARNING Super glue bonds to resin better then it does to plastic . So TEST FIT , TEST FIT before applying glue .

For applying the glue I use a few different tools but the main one is a sewing needle with the top part of the eye cut off and a handel made out of a piece of bamboo skewer . You can use different sizes of needles to make these giving you different options on the amount of glue to add . Will also use a dull blade for applying glue to seems and for filling if more is needed . Any buildup of glue on the tips can be brunt off it a cig lighter or candle flame . WARNING KEEP HAIR AWAY FOR FLAME
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2021, 11:06:40 PM »
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2021, 11:19:19 PM »
Any filler you use on plastic kits can be use on resin kits as well . A few of the ones I use are Mr. Surface 1000 or 1500 for small hairline fill in . i apply these with a brush I keep set aside just for this . I don't use good brushes for this .

For filling air bubbles which are common in resin kits I fill with superglue rather then using putties . This makes the job much faster and doesn't need a second coat because of shrinkage form using putty .

For some work I will use Tamiya grey putty and their white putty which is like Mr. Surface just a little thinker . These putties can be thinned down if need be with their lacquer thinner or a store brand . I don't use the grey putty very often , it's really grainy .
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2021, 11:21:48 PM »
For clean up on the seems and metal parts if included in the kit just you regular sanding sticks and needle files .

Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2021, 11:22:17 PM »
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2021, 11:27:11 PM »
The most important tool you need and I high recommend you pick one up and that is ...

WEAR A MASK WHEN CUTTING AND SANDING RESIN !

Resin dust is not something you want to be breathing in . It is bad for your lungs and I do hope you do the same when sanding plastic as well .

I also don't recommend adding Talc ( talcum powder ) This is very toxic to humans so if you do use it wear a mask and gloves and wash your hands afterwards .

Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch