Author Topic: Nieuport 17bis  (Read 6353 times)

Offline DaveB

Re: Nieuport 17bis
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2021, 06:36:41 AM »
Interesting project, Richard

Your work so far is impressive so will follow this with interest

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2021, 05:58:05 PM »
A bit of a hiatus, all to do with the fuel tank/ammunition boxes

There are pictures in Windsock Datafile Vol 1 page 40. Judging by the details, I think figures 94 to 96 are all the same aeroplane taken at the same time, and it has a huge fuel tank. Fig 97 shows an Alkan-Hamy synchronised Lewis gun with the same fuel tank and many of the same features

The problem with this is - where did the ammunition box go? The Lewis wouldn't need one, the Vickers definitely would

Vol 2 page 87 fig 87 shows the front of a 17bis, handily showing the supports for the side fabric. It also shows a huge fuel tank behind the seat, with a connecting pipe that must have been a fabricators nightmare!

Mastercasters (and ICM) have both gone with ammunition boxes below the gun, which would have taken half the tank away

I can't find a picture for this, so I was going to go with the extended tank. However, I've decided to give the resin box a reprieve.

I'm actually now wondering if all Vickers armed Nie 17s had that tank behind the seat - anyway, mine's getting one

If anyone has an image of a crashed Nie 17 or 17bis showing the cockpit details, I'd be very interested to see one

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Online RAGIII

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2021, 10:17:19 PM »
It is a rainy day here so I am going to spend some time looking through My references. n the meantime I will post a couple of photos of My CSM builds. Note that the Early Nieuport 17 has the fuel and oil tank behind the firewall in the cockpit. ( No Vickers so no ammo boxes needed.)

The later Nieuport 17's, 24, 24bis etc., had the Oil Tank on the front of the Firewall under the cowling. Ammo boxes were behind the fuel tank.

The 17 bis with the Clerget engine seems to have a much narrower chord cowling. To me this " Might" prevent having the oil tank in front of the firewall. Pending further research MY best WAG is that the fuel tank was moved behind the seat on the 17 bis leaving room for the oil tank and Ammo boxes. Like I said, I will continue to look! IHTH,
RAGIII
PS: Looking through the Windsock Special I am puzzled by one thing. If there is a fuel tank behind the seat one would expect to see a filler cap somewhere. I have found No indication of that filler cap so far?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 12:14:09 AM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2021, 10:55:39 PM »
Yes, odd that, isn't it. If nothing else there  should  be  a vent

Richard

Offline Matti

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2021, 07:14:40 PM »
This will be an interesting project to watch.

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2021, 10:26:47 PM »
Nice upgrades on this, Richard.  This conversion looks like its going well.

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2021, 07:08:51 AM »
OK, I've stuffed as much inside the fuselage as I want:

There's quite a bit to think about with respect to the outer fairings, the shaping isn't at all obvious. And the starting point is the diameter of the cowling at the front.

The kit cowling is bigger in diameter than scale size. I need to have the Clerget to hand to work out how close to the correct size I can get the cowling - it needs to be replaced because the Clerget cowling is shorter and has a different shape

Richard

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2021, 07:13:44 AM »
Richard , fabulous work on the interior . Shame that side panels will be covering this up .

Alexis   
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Online RAGIII

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2021, 11:02:20 AM »
Looking fabulous Richard. I am sorry that I wasn't able to come up with the definitive answer on the arrangement of fuel tanks and fillers. I like your ultimate decision! I am looking forward to your further progress!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RichieW

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2021, 06:15:22 PM »
Looks great Richard, I love the flat aluminium and weathering of the fuel tank. CAn you enlighten me how you did it? This is the efffect I want on the cowling of my Bristol Scout.

I had a similar problem with the side panels of my Scout as the shape was not at all obvious. My solution was to fill the area with milliput which won't work here as it would all be seen. Are you able to make a temporary core from foam or balsa to help measure it up and make a template for forming from aluminium or styrene?

Richie

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2021, 06:17:57 PM »
Great work on the interior, Richard. The plane is looking fine.
Bye, Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2021, 06:27:36 PM »
Looks great Richard, I love the flat aluminium and weathering of the fuel tank. CAn you enlighten me how you did it? This is the efffect I want on the cowling of my Bristol Scout.

I had a similar problem with the side panels of my Scout as the shape was not at all obvious. My solution was to fill the area with milliput which won't work here as it would all be seen. Are you able to make a temporary core from foam or balsa to help measure it up and make a template for forming from aluminium or styrene?

Richie

I am in that embarrassing position again where what looks great in pictures is ludicrously easy

I sprayed it white then painted it with acrylic paint slightly diluted and a brush. I think the trick is to brush in the appropriate direction, accept the streaks and stop before the whole surface is a uniform colour

Apart from that, I have no great secret. It’s turning dodgy painting to your advantage.

Richard

Offline RichieW

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2021, 07:03:02 PM »
Thanks Richard, dodgy painting I can definitely do!

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2021, 10:05:25 PM »
I think the posh word for it is scumbling

Richard

Offline Monty

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2021, 01:50:54 AM »
Lovely work, so far Richard! I have no good advice for the side panels, maybe just try a plastic sheet, score as required to represent stringers, and see if it fits! You could get really lucky.... Regards, Marc.