Author Topic: Jeannin Stahltaube 271/14 [WNW 1:32]  (Read 4457 times)

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
Jeannin Stahltaube 271/14 [WNW 1:32]
« on: May 06, 2021, 07:16:16 PM »
Hello my dear friends,
there is something new from me again.
I have chosen the Jeannin Stahltaube from Wingnut Wings. This plane has fascinated me since I was a child. I looked at it again and again in a book about airplanes from my grandfather (the book was already very old at that time, I think the Taube was a state-of-the-art-plane in this book  ;)).

There are also figures from Black dog and Elan35.
There will be 2 pilots standing in front of the Taube, that is nosed ower to be photographed.

That plane is catching my eye here because of the shape of the wings and of the oversized crosses.

The first thing I did was assemble the wonderful 120hp Argus ASII. Unfortunately, the instructions do not show that the proposed engine is also present as a highly detailed mold on the sprue. Here the valve lifters and ignition wires are not cast on. I have scratched them here with lead wire and streched sprue. I have added the missing oil tank on the starboard side (just guessing the shape and position)

The harnesses included with the kit are etched and accordingly two-dimensional, which I don't like. Here HGW offers nice lasercut harnesses, but they also have only etched spiral springs. Therefore I took a wire from the shielding of an USB cable (0.1mm) and glued it to the handle of an acupuncture needle.

Then simply pinch the needle between 2 fingers and twist with thumb and forefinger. This will create a spiral on the needle.

[url=https://abload.de/image.php?img=80jjvf.jpg]

This spiral can be slid onto an annealed acupuncture needle and wrapped around a toothpick. Cut the whole thing open on one side and you have wonderful round spiral springs bent into a circle for the straps.

Here are some pictures of the cockpit. The belts are now sticking out strangely, but that's because they are supposed to hang down later.

In my eyes, the worst part of this terrific kit is the so-called spider, where above the cockpit and and on the landing gear the cables of the wings were secured with turnbuckles.
Since these parts are extremely present here, they had to be refined a bit. For this I took turnbuckles from Gaspatch Models.

That's it for now, see you soon,
Yours, Manni
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 07:29:19 PM by Manni »
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
Re: Jeannin Stahltaube 271/14 [WNW 1:32]
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 09:24:38 PM »
Lovely start, Manni. Especially those refinements in the seat belts are eye-catching. I will be watching with great interest. Taube is on my to-do list and I plan to choose kit option C, too :-)
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Bughunter

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 09:49:22 PM »
Wow Manni, what a great (and huge?) project!
And I'm sure, we will at the end not only see a nice Taube, but also again a great environment.

The spiral springs looks so real, because they are real. Perfect way to model them!

Have fun and stay safe!
Frank

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 09:55:47 PM »
Wow Manni , you are off to an excellent start on this one . Nice job on refining the details on the seatbelts and the turnbuckles  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2021, 04:25:57 AM »
Awesome!

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2021, 05:28:56 AM »
Great inner works, I built this out from the box but your fine scratch additions and paintwork really give life and extra value to the model. Looking forward for your progress.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2021, 05:42:15 AM »
Wow Manni, what a great (and huge?) project!
And I'm sure, we will at the end not only see a nice Taube, but also again a great environment.

The spiral springs looks so real, because they are real. Perfect way to model them!

Have fun and stay safe!
Frank

I agree completely! Really looking forward to this one Manni!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Fvdm

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2021, 12:56:20 AM »
Nice start Manny. The extra's look great. I envy you for building this kit. I never had the change to buy this kit and now I'll probably never will. O well, I just follow your build and enjoy it. Have fun.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2021, 01:19:41 AM »
The extra details are in a class of their own Manni. The spiral rings for the seat belts are very impressive, as are the extra engine details. I do like these very early machines - they look so fragile. I can see another of your superb vignettes is in the making so I will be following with interest.

Stephen.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2021, 03:50:17 AM »
Incredible work Manni, your fine detailing is stunning! The interior is just beautiful, you are a very special modeller!

Richie

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2021, 05:10:49 AM »
Incredible detail added to your model - excellent work, Manni!
Cheers,
Gary

Offline Matti

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2021, 07:20:01 PM »
Very good looking interior & detailing work.

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2021, 10:23:27 PM »
You're well on your way to another exceptional build, Manni.  I'm looking forward to seeing the final display.  Your dioramas are excellent.

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2021, 05:30:18 AM »
The weathering on the inside is beautifully done. I particularly like the scratches on the floorboard under the pilot's feet. Nice touch!

Willem
This will be hell to rig I suspect...

Willem

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2021, 07:35:40 PM »
Hello my dear model makers,
Thank you so much for your kind words, I really appreciate the feedback.

It went a little further. I painted the fuselage, the wings and all the attachments.

As I wanted to make the paint job in pure field grey a little more interesting, I had first considered covering the wings with Aviattics Decals Linen in field grey. However, I don't find the decals very easy to work with.
After a very helpful discussion with Przemo (thanks) I decided to go a new way.
I sprayed the fuselage and wings in field grey, lightened with white and decktan over grey and white primer.

Afterwards I covered the parts with a fine tights (I hope this is the right term). You should make sure that the course of the fibres is perpendicular to the direction of flight on the parts.

After that I again darkened field grey with a few drops of black and sprayed it over the covered parts.

Here is the result. I am quite satisfied with it and think that I will use this method more often in the future.

I masked the ribs and drybrushed them with again strongly lightened field grey. I worked on the edges with Watercolorpencils in rich green. Some umbra burnt oil paint to get depth into the wings was the final touch.

I will continue the build in the next few days.
Greetings,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau