Author Topic: Roden 1/32nd Scale SSW DIII: Udet Jasta 4  (Read 20352 times)

Online RAGIII

Re: Roden 1/32nd Scale SSW DIII: Udet Jasta 4
« Reply #120 on: June 03, 2021, 11:12:28 PM »
I have "Mostly" finished the tapes and applied the kit crosses. I found the whole lozenge and tape process to be frustrating. I have used Aviattic decals before with no issues but this time I just couldn't get things right. MY problem not the decals. For one thing Richard kindly supplied the lozenge on white backing for cutting the tapes. I wasted as much as I used. I just couldn't get consistent narrow strips. In the end I used WNW tapes on the lower wing. Not quite as correct color wise but easier for me. Because of My issues I have lots of touch up to do.
RAGIII

"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RichieW

« Reply #121 on: June 03, 2021, 11:26:28 PM »
Despite the frustrations with the decals that really does look absolutely stunning Rick!

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #122 on: June 03, 2021, 11:34:42 PM »
I know all to well what that frustrating feels like and it's not pleasant .

It does look sharp though Rick , well done so far .

For cutting consistent rib tapes I place to # 11 blades together with a spacer in between them  ;)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline DaveB

« Reply #123 on: June 04, 2021, 02:43:51 AM »
Looking lovely so far, Rick -

Rib tape decals are a pain in the a.....!  I can never seem to get them on nice and straight so feel your pain.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline Monty

« Reply #124 on: June 04, 2021, 03:00:12 AM »
Looking good, Rick in spite of the rib tape difficulties. And rib tapes can be just like that... difficult and infuriating, but worth it in the end, I think! Regards, Marc.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #125 on: June 04, 2021, 03:41:52 AM »
Despite the frustrations with the decals that really does look absolutely stunning Rick!

Thanks Richie!
RAGIII

I know all to well what that frustrating feels like and it's not pleasant .

It does look sharp though Rick , well done so far .

For cutting consistent rib tapes I place to # 11 blades together with a spacer in between them  ;)

Alexis

Thanks Alexis. I thought about the XACTO blade thing but was too stubborn to set it up  :o
RAGIII

Looking lovely so far, Rick -

Rib tape decals are a pain in the a.....!  I can never seem to get them on nice and straight so feel your pain.

Regards

Dave

Trust Me mine aren't all straight either !
RAGIII

Looking good, Rick in spite of the rib tape difficulties. And rib tapes can be just like that... difficult and infuriating, but worth it in the end, I think! Regards, Marc.

Thanks Marc. By the way it wasn't just the tapes. I  also had trouble with the trailing edges of the Lozenge itself. That part is unusual for Me.
RAGIII

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #126 on: June 04, 2021, 04:07:51 AM »
You may have had your patience tested Rick but the result looks very good from where I am sitting. I try to avoid types which had lozenge fabric surfaces - now I know why...

Stephen.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #127 on: June 04, 2021, 07:47:04 AM »
You may have had your patience tested Rick but the result looks very good from where I am sitting. I try to avoid types which had lozenge fabric surfaces - now I know why...

Stephen.

Thanks Stephen. It will be OK once I do the final touch up! That being said today I attached the landing gear and cabane struts. I am getting Very Close to the real test of mounting and aligning the upper wing  8)
RAGIII

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #128 on: June 04, 2021, 10:02:15 PM »
Too my eye , that turned out super Rick  :) Even if you were a little stubborn   ;)  I also really like the prop !

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Online RAGIII

« Reply #129 on: June 04, 2021, 10:29:05 PM »
Too my eye , that turned out super Rick  :) Even if you were a little stubborn   ;)  I also really like the prop !

Alexis

Thanks Alexis. I hope even better after I touch up some of the glitches I created  8)
RAGIII

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #130 on: June 05, 2021, 02:15:01 AM »
This is coming together well, Rick.  I do like the paint scheme.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #131 on: June 05, 2021, 02:28:31 AM »
Time well spent I'd say. The rib tapes look great and add a lot to the overall impression.

Richie

Online RAGIII

« Reply #132 on: June 05, 2021, 06:44:39 AM »
This is coming together well, Rick.  I do like the paint scheme.

Thanks Ken! I May have said this earlier but I never really cared for this aircraft. After starting this build and applying the colors I now realize it really is pretty cool  8)
RAGIII

Time well spent I'd say. The rib tapes look great and add a lot to the overall impression.

Richie

Thanks Richie, Greatly appreciated!
RAGIII

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #133 on: June 05, 2021, 08:32:22 AM »
I'm really getting the hampering to pull one of Eduards kit out of the stash form following your build Rick .  ;)

Alexis

Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Online RAGIII

« Reply #134 on: June 06, 2021, 08:20:45 PM »
I'm really getting the hampering to pull one of Eduards kit out of the stash form following your build Rick .  ;)

Alexis

Go for it Alexis. I think I mentioned that I never really cared Much for the SSW DIII until I started this one. It Grows on You  8) In thee Meantime I am one step closer to having the wing in place. Attached the upper wing to the cabanes. Now the Hard part...getting the interplane struts to fit  ::) Then I will need to touch up the lozenge in all of the places I messed it up through handling.
RAGIII