Author Topic: Wight Quadruplane, Spin 1/48, Upd 15.5.21 The end  (Read 17964 times)

Offline Fvdm

Re: Wight Quadruplane, Spin 1/48, Upd 22.4.21 Metal and paint
« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2021, 04:07:15 PM »
Beautiful work Frank. Your ref.pic shows different colors between the cowling and the aluminium so I think you need to polish the cowling in a different way than the aluminium.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #76 on: April 25, 2021, 11:57:50 PM »
Superb detail work as always Frank, just beautiful!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #77 on: April 26, 2021, 03:45:47 AM »
The turned metal look on the aluminium is superb Frank. The contrast between the cowling and paintwork is also excellent - indeed you really are producing a small scale replica of the original!

Stephen.

Bughunter

« Reply #78 on: April 28, 2021, 05:29:29 AM »
Always nice to read your feedback!

Beautifully painted Frank! I like the colors and may have to look into getting some of that paint!
Thanks Rick, I find the linen a bit on the dark side, but it is to late to change it. But I can live with it.

I would polish the cowl , will highlight the engine even more and will blend with the livery .
Ok Alexis, I have done it, but tried it a bit more lighter. It was also not working the same way due to the curved surface of the cowling.

And the alloy around the nose...
Thanks Hugh, the idea was to have an eyecatcher on the front to distract the viewer from the crude kit ;D

Lovely painting too, must have taken a long time masking although rib tapes!
Oh yes Richie! And this bird is so small and has soo many ribs ...
My original idea was to mask the space between ribs and spray rib tapes using primer. But due to the small size and my fear of that amount of masking on  resin I dropped that idea.

Your ref.pic shows different colors between the cowling and the aluminium so I think you need to polish the cowling in a different way than the aluminium.
The bigger version shows it better, but I can't download or link it here. They are doing dirty javascript tricks with the pictures.

Superb detail work as always Frank, just beautiful!
Thank you Lance, I hope that it will be a nice addition to my triplanes.

The contrast between the cowling and paintwork is also excellent - indeed you really are producing a small scale replica of the original!
Thanks Stephen!
There exists a replica in: "Suspended in main hall. Solent Sky, Southampton", but I think it looks not that nice. It shows an early state, with the wheels in cutouts of the lowest wing, very long tail skid due to that and wrapped wing struts.

Source: wikimedia.org

The Spin kit depicts the latest state.
Due to very nice weather (finally spring) I have not much progress, but it is a biplane now.

Cheers,
Frank

Bughunter

Wight Quadruplane, Spin 1/48, Upd 27.4.21 Biplane
« Reply #79 on: April 28, 2021, 06:14:27 AM »
Biplane

I can show a small progress.

At first I want to show the polishing rubber stick, because I was asked. The bad thing is, that even on aluminium the diameter at the front get bigger and bigger. I reduced it again with sanding.

The cowling is also polished (I will reduce it a bit with polishing by a cloth) it is a biplane now! This required careful adjustments of the little struts.

Before I finally mounted the wing I realized I need to take care for rigging NOW!
The space is much to small to use turnbuckles, and on the pictures the rigging looks like some kind of RAF wires. But then comes Eduard "stretchers" in my mind (48915, originally for SE.5a), tinned and mounted.

Also for the lower cross:

I hope, that the alignment is good enough to avoid later problems.

Then I creates masks with my plotter and painted the cockades with WWI RAF blue and red paints from Drooling Bulldog, because the decals were to small to wrap around the rudder.
Rudder - perfect.
Lower wing - super.
Right side - ok
Upper wing - can live with it.

Left side - correction needed!

Not that easy to work with such small masking. May be I reduced the tack to much, so had lifting problems.

Cheers,
Frank

Online RAGIII

Re: Wight Quadruplane, Spin 1/48, Upd 27.4.21 Biplane
« Reply #80 on: April 28, 2021, 07:14:04 AM »
Gorgeous Painting, Markings, Struts, etc.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #81 on: April 28, 2021, 10:00:25 AM »
This looks like a really difficult one.  But as you said, the front end will distract from the rest of it!  Nice polishing.

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #82 on: April 28, 2021, 10:26:18 AM »
Very impressive work on the aluminium polishing, Frank. Of course along with everything else!
Cheers,
Gary

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #83 on: April 29, 2021, 12:24:03 AM »
Excellent results on the cowl Frank  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Bughunter

« Reply #84 on: April 29, 2021, 02:43:39 AM »
Thank you Rick, Ken, Gary and Alexis!

I was able to fix the cockades with masks.
I opened the file again and removed the unneeded cut lines and let cut again some special fixing masks. So is the risk much lower of further underspray or other accidents. As I own a cutting plotter it should do something for me 8)

I think the markings are good enough now  ;)

Cheers,
Frank

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #85 on: April 29, 2021, 02:51:28 PM »
Great paintwork and metal polishing. Good to see everything taking shape.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline RichieW

« Reply #86 on: April 29, 2021, 09:54:22 PM »
Lovely work as usual Frank, I think the masking worked out very well. Even in 1/32 I usually have a lot more touch ups to do than you need here.The Drooling Bulldog colours look good, I shall order some!

Best wishes
Richie

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #87 on: April 30, 2021, 02:02:15 AM »
Super modelling as always Frank. I have y fingers crossed that the rigging points will line up - I am not sure what you could do if they do not! The national markings look good to me - but then you are a perfectionist.

Stephen.

Bughunter

« Reply #88 on: April 30, 2021, 05:44:43 AM »
Thank you Giuseppe, Richie and Stephen!

I have y fingers crossed that the rigging points will line up - I am not sure what you could do if they do not!
Oh yes, you caught a potential problem! But I ignored it until now, as it is already to late to move the holes in the middle wings.

Need to prepare the next pictures.

Cheers,
Frank

Bughunter

Wight Quadruplane, Spin 1/48, Upd 29.4.21 Triplane
« Reply #89 on: April 30, 2021, 06:08:17 AM »
Triplane

To be able to continue with the next wing I need to prepare the next rigging mounts, now also double wires! Luckily a drill template is provided on the Eduard PE.

What has 8 legs? The lowest wing!
All are in place and the rigging is prepared.

Then I added also the rigging mounts to the opposite side below the fuselage.

To keep the flow I added also a lot of them below the top wing, but not yet complete.

The other side of this wing looks now also better.

Then I take heart and mounted the lower wing.

Now it is a triplane 8)

I decided to continue to work in this area, because the undercarriage needs to be created.

Two struts are going to the lowest wing. I need now to invent a connection between the struts, which needs to hold also axle and suspension.

The wheels was very small. As the resin ones had a lot of holes I found some plastic wheels in the spare box.
The leather around the cockpit is also filled and painted.

The undercarriage seems to be already strong enough. No paint yet.

Some work on the axle is also done.

Let's see, if I can find a solution to complete the undercarriage. The pictures do not show much, because this detail is hidden in the shadows.
Any ideas or tips?

Cheers,
Frank