Author Topic: Eduards Pfalz D.III  (Read 12612 times)

Offline Monty

Re: Eduards Pfalz D.III
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2021, 04:01:34 AM »
Sorry to butt in again, both the plans in the Windsock D.III and D.IIIa confirm the inverted aerofoil... I looked at an old (since fallen apart) Roden D.III in 1/32 and it has the inverted aerofoil, more subtle perhaps.... In photographs it's difficult to see, the underside of the tailplane is invariably in shadow!

Regards,

Marc.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2021, 01:39:10 AM »
Thanks Marc , you are correct , I had the scale drawings upside down with scale drawings of the Fokker Dr.1 as well . I should have smoke that joint !!!! ::)

So Eduard did get it right !

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2021, 08:22:03 AM »
Whoa Alexis. I am like Gary - I miss a couple of days and you almost finish one model and are well into another.... I have struggled to make a set of wings and radiators in that time!!

I do like the lines of the Pfalz machines - so clean and streamlined.

Stephen.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2021, 12:52:00 PM »
Thanks Stephen  :)

Construction is underway with the pit put together waiting paint . Engine is also assembled but I didn't take photo of this and I don't know why !!!! The control column is replace with evergreen rod and the hand grips are from another kit . The kit ones in this kit shattered when trying to remove the part form the tree .  ::) Gun breches are form a junk Dragon Dr.1 . I lost one of the PE parts in the kit and the kit gun breches have no detail to them . So at this stage it's no longer out of box  ;)

Alexis

Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2021, 12:52:24 PM »
 :)
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2021, 06:03:23 PM »
Very nice plane, if I can give a brief explanation about the stabilizer I add a crude drawing (my apologies for the poor quality of finger drawing on the tablet  ::) ): wing profile deviates airflow downwads to generate lift, this induces a pitch down momentum and this is the main reason for a stabilizer. A reverse airfoil profile is one possible (and elegant) solution and is one mark of a sophisticated project. Other makers prefer to use symmetrical profiles to simplify building but at the cost of a greater negative incidence, inducing additional drag. Pretty unusual in WWI machines, hats off to Pfalz engineers!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2021, 09:05:52 PM »
Good start Alexis. I had forgotten how basic this early Eduard kit was  :o
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2021, 11:41:08 PM »
Thanks Giuseppe ,

Being blonde , I actually understood what you are saying ! And your finger painting is far better then my  ;)

Rick , yeah their older kits are basic for the plastic , but tons of PE !

Might be able to start spraying some colours today depending on the weather ....still have tons of yard work and more trees which need pruning  ::)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Bughunter

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2021, 07:30:52 AM »
Alexis, have not seen your new build!
Is this old kit worth it? I know the new tooling Pfalz D.IIIa and together with a PE set that is a damn good kit, nearly perfect. Since the new tooling is available very cheap for example as Weekend edition I will avoid this very first one ;)
Anyway, I will watch so see what you are getting out of it,

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2021, 09:10:02 AM »
Hi Frank ,

I still have two of the D.III ( limited edition dual combo ) ( newer ones ) and then there still 4 more of the D.IIIa in 48 scale  ;)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2021, 09:52:16 AM »
Past few days have been rather busy for me and wasn't able to get time in front of the bench . Today I was able too and started with painting the base colours . Little more in the pit with detailing painting , but the engine is painted up and ready for weathering . Since very little of it will be seen I didn't go fancy with it . Tail skid and prop felt like being painted as well and once this dries the wood effect and laminations can be done . Also drilled out the exhaust and no fingers were injured in the process  :)

Alexis

Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2021, 09:52:40 AM »
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2021, 09:53:09 AM »
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2021, 09:53:42 AM »
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2021, 12:02:28 AM »
Looking great Alexis. The engine is perfect for what will be seen. Nice work on the exhaust also!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler