Author Topic: issue with recent Eduard decals?  (Read 3868 times)

Offline phil2015

issue with recent Eduard decals?
« on: March 25, 2021, 05:11:45 AM »
I didn't really know there was one until this afternoon....

I'm working on a 1/48 Eduard SE5 and a couple of instrument panel decals lifted after I thought they were set.  One is just gone, but I saw the other one lift off as I was painting some edging around it.  So I searched for issues with Eduard decals and found a couple of videos on YouTube about Eduard's "new decals" and getting rid of the carrier film that goes with it.  I had no idea.  Both of these videos were from Dec 2020.  So, when did Eduard start using a different process for making decals that causes this?  Is there some way to know from looking at the decals.  (In my SE5 kit the decals says printed in Czech in 2017 but I see no other clues).

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Re: issue with recent Eduard decals?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2021, 11:18:19 PM »
I know it was posted some here on the forums in regards to your question .

Last new Eduard kit I bought was their SSW D.III when it was released so I know those decals are fine . The last new tool WW2 kit's is their Mustangs but I'm not using the decals in the kits . I have aftermarket ones for these so I'm not sure if they are the new style .

I'm not sure when they started this , but I think it was the middle of last year .

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 01:00:08 AM »
Yep, I stumbled across this with my Spitfire stencil decals, and they did work really well - look absolutely painted on  :D

How are you meant to know which is which though? Is there a way of telling? There was no instruction on it with the decal set I got - Faf told me - so I tried it and it worked!

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline phil2015

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2021, 02:08:50 AM »
Thanks Alexis and Guy.  @Guy - what did you try and it worked?  I see two videos - in one method the poster removes the carrier film with tape and in the other the poster removes it with white spirit.   The white spirit method didn't work terribly well I thought....

I too would like to know when you have the latter type decals.

Offline FAf

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2021, 03:57:22 AM »
I'm not sure, but I think it's a fairly recent change. The first time I came across any info on this was in relation to the release of Eduard's new Spitfire Mk.I, so last summer then...

I simply scraped off my carrier film (on the stencils only) with a toothpick, but then I had already treated them with Microscale Sol. I think Guy just lifted them once he got a corner free.
/Fredrik

Offline hrcoleman66

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2021, 03:47:51 PM »
The decals in my WV SE5a kit are woeful.  Stiff as a board and will not respond to either Valejo softener or Micro Sol.

They seem to have dropped the ball on this batch at least.

Cheers,

Hugh

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2021, 05:56:08 PM »
As Fredrik said..

I just applied as per a normal decal - no solutions, I didn’t try to get the decal to settle onto the surface, just gently rubbed it on.. left it a few minutes then lifted a corner and it peeled off leaving the lettering.

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline WD

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2021, 09:19:55 AM »
Wow, I was totally unaware of this!  I wonder if the decals in the "Fokker! Fokker!" boxing are like this?  As was said earlier, how to know?

WD

Offline Berman

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2021, 01:42:42 PM »
 I have not used the new Eduard decals but this sounds like the old FCM decal "wet transfer system". First applied to a gloss surface and then the carrier film removed after the decal had firmly set. Some people like the FCM process but many were confused  so FCM had MicroScale print standard decals.

Offline WD

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2021, 09:48:49 AM »
I have not used the new Eduard decals but this sounds like the old FCM decal "wet transfer system". First applied to a gloss surface and then the carrier film removed after the decal had firmly set. Some people like the FCM process but many were confused  so FCM had MicroScale print standard decals.

I remember those and I think I have some in the stash. T'would be nice if Eduard would let their customers/consumers know if their kit has those decals or the regular ones.

WD

Offline BobW

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2021, 04:07:03 AM »
Concerning Eduard"s new decals, the following statement has been taken from their April 2021news letter:

Keep in mind that these decals work
just as well utilizing traditional application
methods and expectations. Nevertheless, in
order to appease all of the potential carrier
film ‘peelers’ out there, Jakub Nademlejnsky
is in the process of preparing a short but informative instructional article on doing just
that. Actually, the peeling of the carrier film
from the decals is not rocket science, nor is
it brain surgery, and the end result is truly
mesmerizing. But, even so, this will be a ‘proceed at your own risk’ endeavor on the user’s
part. This article will come out in the May edition of the newsletter.

Bob

Offline WD

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2021, 11:15:33 PM »
Thanks Bob!  I'd still like to know which kits come with these "new" decals and where the cut off is.

WD

Offline FAf

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2021, 04:53:41 PM »
Some information from Eduard themselves on their "new" decals - their latest newsletter pages 51-60 https://www.eduard.com/info-eduard-may-2021/?&force_sid=s476iqej06690ones3m61d0sg1o8gih9

/Fredrik
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 05:09:02 PM by FAf »

Online Gene K

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2021, 10:35:31 PM »
Some information from Eduard themselves on their "new" decals ... .

Thanks Fredrik and Bob. Looks like peeling the film results in instant "weathering" what with tiny bits flaking off.

It never ceases to amaze me the disdain Sulc shows in his editorials toward the people making him rich.

Gene K

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2021, 10:11:51 AM »
Reading the article the only difference I see is the coloured part of the decal is glossy on the "unpeeled" version. No decal film is visible on either. Unless you don't plan on using any final clear coat I'm not sure what the "peeling" advantage is.

Steve