Author Topic: Roden 1/32nd Nieuport 24bis SPA 124: Part Two( 2.5)  (Read 17335 times)

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Re: Roden 1/32nd Nieuport 24bis SPA 124: Part Two
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2021, 10:25:46 PM »
Vast improvement on what it look like before , excellent Rick ! Glad to hear that you work out the fit issue with the engine and was able to get it fit !

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Online RAGIII

« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2021, 12:57:08 AM »
Vast improvement on what it look like before , excellent Rick ! Glad to hear that you work out the fit issue with the engine and was able to get it fit !

Alexis

Thanks Alexis. It still needs a few tweaks but I am pleased so far! As for the engine, it is still tight but at least it fits in without fowling the fit of the cowling to fuselage  ::)
RAFGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online RAGIII

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2021, 01:11:27 PM »
So today I took a couple of steps forward. I attached the landing gear and then attached the upper wing. I am going a bit outside of the box here. My plan is to figure out if, and or how much I need to remove from the lower wing. I will use PVA to attach the interplanes to the upper wing, line up the lower wing and mark where the interplane struts meet the lower wing. Any variance as to where they line up will be removed from the fuselage end of the wing. Once that is done I will remove the interplane struts and paint the main scheme. That's the plan anyway  8)

RAGIII

« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 10:29:09 PM by RAGIII »

Offline DaveB

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2021, 05:29:31 AM »
Good luck, Rick!

I watching with close interest now as this is the part of the build I fell flat on.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2021, 09:21:01 AM »
Looks good as a parasol kite  ;)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Online RAGIII

« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2021, 09:28:19 AM »
Good luck, Rick!

I watching with close interest now as this is the part of the build I fell flat on.

Regards

Dave

I took today off. I hope to have an answer for you tomorrow  ::)
RAGIII

Looks good as a parasol kite  ;)

Alexis

Yeah Alexis! If I fail on the lower wings I can always add some airfoil strut material and call it an experimental Monoplne version  ;D
RAGIII

Online RAGIII

« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2021, 11:42:29 AM »
So the plan was to use white glue, hold the interplane struts in place, and figure out how much I needed to remove from the lower wings to line everything up. That pretty much failed although silly putty allowed me to line things up enough to think I need to remove about 2mm. So now I know I have to attach the interplane struts permanently to the upper wing in order to get all things final. So....I painted the aluminum finish on the airframe and next I will apply the under wing roundels. Then the struts will be attached and I will find out for sure what I need to do  8)
RAGIII

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2021, 09:21:35 PM »
Nice job on spraying the alum dope Rick , nice and smooth . Looking forward on seeing how the lower wings turn out ! :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Online petrov27

« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2021, 12:27:53 AM »
that aluminum looks great - what paint do you use for that?
-Patrick

Online RAGIII

« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2021, 01:07:13 AM »
Nice job on spraying the alum dope Rick , nice and smooth . Looking forward on seeing how the lower wings turn out ! :)

Alexis

Thanks Alexis. More about the "Nice and Smooth" in answering Patrick's question  ::)
RAGIII

that aluminum looks great - what paint do you use for that?

First Thanks for the comment. The road to the Aluminum finish was rocky! I first sprayed some Tamiya black then used Tamiya Chrome silver. I don't know what happened but the pigment was terrible. Rough as a gravel driveway! I used a polishing cloth to smooth it out as much as possible. I looked around for another silver in My paint stash and found a Very Old bottle of Floquil Bright Silver. I sprayed that over all of the Tamiya and it worked great! Saved this one from Doom  8)
RAGIII

PS: I did let the Tamiya cure for 24 hrs. before polishing and spraying the Floquil!

Online petrov27

« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2021, 01:37:11 AM »
Ah yes, always heard amazing things about the old Floquil silver paints (old silver and bright) though also that they smelled really bad :)
-Patrick

Online RAGIII

« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2021, 02:12:55 AM »
Ah yes, always heard amazing things about the old Floquil silver paints (old silver and bright) though also that they smelled really bad :)

It was excellent paint. The fact that this bottle is probably 40 years Old is a Testament to it's durability in the jar  8) As for the smell it is strong, especially now that Xylene is My only choice of thinner. Even worse than the original Dio Sol!!
RAGIII

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2021, 03:55:03 AM »
Looking good Rick!

I too, like the parasol look  ;)

Good save on the aluminium - I’ve had similar issues with Alclads lately

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Online RAGIII

« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2021, 04:22:06 AM »
Looking good Rick!

I too, like the parasol look  ;)

Good save on the aluminium - I’ve had similar issues with Alclads lately

Guy

Thanks Guy!  I have never had an issue like this with Tamiya paint so I am guessing it was "Old Paint" that caused it. On the other hand I have heard people mention that Tamiya Aluminum has pigment that is too rough although I have Never Had an issue with it like this with the Chrome Silver? Thank God for the Floquil  ;D By the way I am totally serious in that If I fail to get the lower wings properly in place I am going to make it a what If Monoplane  ::)
RAGIII

Offline Fvdm

« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2021, 05:03:53 PM »
Nice job on the silver painting. It's always difficult to get a nice even shine on the paint but you did a great job.  A whatif monoplane would be a nice one.