Author Topic: Roden 1/32nd Nieuport 24bis SPA 124: Part Two( 2.5)  (Read 17365 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: Roden 1/32nd Nieuport 24bis SPA 124: Part Two
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2021, 11:49:01 AM »
So todays session was touching up and finishing the interior. I then glued the fuselage halves together, added the firewall and upper cowl decking. The first photo shows the scheme I intend to do. I will need to get someone to do a mask for the BAT marking on the fuselage. LOTS of FILLING and SANDING will be next up on this one  ::)
RAGIII

« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 06:39:09 AM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2021, 10:33:25 PM »
Looks good with the fuselage closed up  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline kkarlsen

• 'Old modeller' - Trying to catch up!
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2021, 12:18:48 AM »
Hi Rick, you are a machine - Another French/US...

The Nieuport 24 bis No. 3772 of Sgt Andrew C. Campbell is one of the models I have on my todo list!

Just want to make sure you have this wonderful photo of Campbell and his plane?

Kent

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2021, 01:02:32 AM »
Looks good with the fuselage closed up  :)

Alexis

Thanks Alexis!
RAGIII

Thanks Kent. The photo is excellent. I think I have it in one of My books but not this large  8) I am certain you will do wonders I haven't even thought of with this kit...Like turning your own cowling  ;D
RAGIII
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 01:23:05 AM by RAGIII »

Offline Monty

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2021, 04:40:04 AM »
Good progress, there, Rick! The cockpit came out really well. I do love the colour scheme. Any idea where the BAT comes from?? Stunning photo, Kent, now I have to do it someday too! Regards, Marc.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2021, 11:13:05 AM »
Good progress, there, Rick! The cockpit came out really well. I do love the colour scheme. Any idea where the BAT comes from?? Stunning photo, Kent, now I have to do it someday too! Regards, Marc.

Thanks Marc. The reason or meaning of BAT is unknown. Today I did the first filling and sanding session. More will be needed! I also worked on the kit engine. Even after all of the dremeling and sanding it is still a tight fit. If one were to look closely it is obvious it would not turn in the cowling. So I also worked on the Hobby Craft Nieuport 17 engine. It is smaller and fits perfectly but not as detailed. I am still thinking this one over  :-\
RAGIII

Offline Mark A

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2021, 03:54:12 PM »
Great progress so far! Just picked this kit up myself so following with interest in how it goes together.

Offline Fvdm

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2021, 10:39:16 PM »
Nice one Rick. If you can thin down the cowling i would choose for the kit engine. But on the other hand, the Hobby craft engine don't look to bad so why all the hassle for a little more detail?

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2021, 10:43:03 PM »
Great progress so far! Just picked this kit up myself so following with interest in how it goes together.

Thanks for the comment! I am pretty sure I have mentioned this but be prepared to do a Lot of Test Fitting. I also found some of the interior parts to be "Glue Resistant" thus using a modified frame from a Hobby Craft Nieuport 17.  I have seen this kit beautifully built so I know it can be done  ::)
RAGIII

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2021, 10:49:12 PM »
Nice one Rick. If you can thin down the cowling i would choose for the kit engine. But on the other hand, the Hobby craft engine don't look to bad so why all the hassle for a little more detail?

I might give the cowling one more session with the Dremel Tool. I have thinned it quite a lot already  ::) If I go too far I have another cowling !
RAGIII

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2021, 02:11:44 AM »
Nice job on both engines Rick , shame the kit engine doesn't fit very well . It does actually have nice detail to it .

Bottom of the fuselage isn't a pretty sight at all and the top back part of the fuselage where is meets up with the tail planes has me asking so many questions as to why they would mould it this way ? The kit did come this way ?

Can you thin the inside of the cowl more ?

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2021, 02:26:28 AM »
Nice job on both engines Rick , shame the kit engine doesn't fit very well . It does actually have nice detail to it .

Bottom of the fuselage isn't a pretty sight at all and the top back part of the fuselage where is meets up with the tail planes has me asking so many questions as to why they would mould it this way ? The kit did come this way ?

Can you thin the inside of the cowl more ?

Alexis

Thanks Alexis. Yes the fit on the lower side is pretty rough. I just looked at an old thread here on the Forum and they pretty much had the same result  :( As for the tail joint I guess it was done this way so both the 24 bis and 24/27 could be modeled using different parts. I added the tail after filling so hopefully it will blend in after the next session. Finally, Like I said I am going to try one more session on the inside of the cowling...we shhall see how it goes.
RAGIII
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 03:03:32 AM by RAGIII »

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2021, 04:05:48 AM »
That does look like a lot of filler Rick.

Does it matter if the engine is a little less detailed on this model? You could always save the kit engine for another model which has a less detailed engine but more space.

Stephen.

Bughunter

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2021, 07:01:06 AM »
Rick, good job!
It is for sure not a CSM Nieuport, but I'm sure you will create a great model from it!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2021, 09:32:40 AM »
That does look like a lot of filler Rick.

Does it matter if the engine is a little less detailed on this model? You could always save the kit engine for another model which has a less detailed engine but more space.

Stephen.

It is more work than usual but hopefully worth it in the end. As for the engines, normally I would say the Hobby Craft is good enough. IN this case the place where the Roden engine really is better is the fins on the cylinders. It so happens that they are the most prominent part that is seen! So I dremelled again and got things where I can accept the fit of the kit engine  :-[
RAGIII

Rick, good job!
It is for sure not a CSM Nieuport, but I'm sure you will create a great model from it!

Cheers,
Frank

No, Not a CSM kit by a long shot. That being said I got the second filler coat, sanded, used a bit of Tamiya Mr. Surfacer, sanded, and then shot some Tamiya grey as a primer. Not too bad and only a couple of spots need more attention!
RAGIII