Author Topic: New Spray Booth  (Read 3197 times)

Offline Gisbod

New Spray Booth
« on: February 28, 2021, 09:18:48 PM »
Happy Sunday all, the sun’s out and spring has sprung!

I thought I’d share my new airbrushing set up, but not a booth at all really despite the title. I did look at modelling booth set ups, but tbh they all seemed fairly ineffective and expensive. My old booth was a flimsy, very inefficient affair bought off the shelf.

As I’ve moved house, I wanted to get something new and more effective so took to the internet for ideas. The result is a powerful, externally mounted, centrifugal extractor fan. It produces an incredibly strong airflow - so much so that if you hold your hand anywhere near to the grill - it literally sucks your hand against it with real force! I also bought a new workbench to have a dedicated spray area.

Really pleased with it and it works like a dream!

Guy

If of interest, I bought it from here:

https://www.justfans.co.uk/awv-external-fan-awv-p-121.html

Overview:

Workspace:

Outside:

“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline torbiorn

Re: New Spray Booth
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2021, 09:56:50 PM »
Thank you for sharing. I will file it away for a time when I (hopefully) have the necessary space. I guess you live in a climate zone where heat loss through the fan is not much of an issue?

Offline WD

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2021, 11:15:18 PM »
Very nice guy!

Warren

Offline Berman

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2021, 12:57:40 AM »
Guy,
      The link you provided displays five models ranging from 220 cubic meters per hour to 740 cubic meters per hour. Which one did you use?
 Too little air flow resulting in being ineffective and too much affecting spraying. Are you planning to install a filter to prevent paint particles from building up on the fan's components?
       In America, there are many inline fans produced by Fantech. These can easily be attached to a duct.

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2021, 03:36:13 AM »
Thanks Warren  ;)

Thank you for sharing. I will file it away for a time when I (hopefully) have the necessary space. I guess you live in a climate zone where heat loss through the fan is not much of an issue?

Well, I’m in the UK so we get some cold spells! But it’s in the garage and the garage door isn’t sealed, so it’s much of a muchness! I’ve got a heater anyway.

Guy,
      The link you provided displays five models ranging from 220 cubic meters per hour to 740 cubic meters per hour. Which one did you use?
 Too little air flow resulting in being ineffective and too much affecting spraying. Are you planning to install a filter to prevent paint particles from building up on the fan's components?
       In America, there are many inline fans produced by Fantech. These can easily be attached to a duct.

Hi Barry,

It’s the AWV15S - 620m3/hr model. It’s certainly a strong pull, but I haven’t noticed any problems spraying yet.

It hasn’t got a filter, but it’s pretty small amounts of paint tbh, that said I guess it will build up. Maybe I should look for one, but it will restrict the flow also? I don’t really know enough to know whether it’s necessary or not...

Thanks,

Guy

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2021, 06:29:54 AM »
Hey  Guy , nice set up in the new home !

A filter will not restrict the air flow  ;)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2021, 07:21:27 AM »
Ah ok,

I’ll look into that then  ;)

Thanks,

Guy

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2021, 05:58:05 PM »
Nice setup Guy.
Very nice.

vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2021, 06:38:38 PM »
Nice setup, very clean.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2021, 12:27:00 AM »
    That's a great setup Guy and is much less intrusive and bulky then a conventional "Booth". I was scrolling through the site you provided and the relatively inexpensive inline filters that custom fit the vent look like the solution to the paint build up question. Like most my Booth takes an inexpensive throwaway furnace filter and I am amazed at the amounts of paint that can accumulate. Better on a filter and in the bin ultimately then gumming up your system!
    Enjoy, I'd say you've got the "ultimate" system there!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2021, 01:32:45 AM »
Thanks Lance,

Yes, I will get one. I do like the fact there’s no bulky booth and fan on the inside  ;)

Guy

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2021, 02:32:09 AM »
The reason why a booth is part of paint booth designs is to create a face velocity high enough to capture and carry out fumes and paint particles.  The booth ensures airflow from one direction - from behind the user toward the exhaust.  Just saying.

Online Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2021, 02:48:18 AM »
Hi Guy,
That's an impressive setup you have there.
My only concern would be airbrushing possibly flammable substances so close to power outlets and the wall hung boiler?

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2021, 02:59:31 AM »
The reason why a booth is part of paint booth designs is to create a face velocity high enough to capture and carry out fumes and paint particles.  The booth ensures airflow from one direction - from behind the user toward the exhaust.  Just saying.

Well, all I can say is it’s very powerful and it works, everything gets drawn in..

Hi Guy,
That's an impressive setup you have there.
My only concern would be airbrushing possibly flammable substances so close to power outlets and the wall hung boiler?

Mike

Well, nowhere else to do it frankly, if I stop posting then it didn’t go well...

Guy

Offline Berman

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2021, 05:29:51 AM »
 The equivalent of a 620 cubic meter per hour fan is 365 cubic feet per minute.