Author Topic: Stearman PT-17 (1/32, Roden)  (Read 7107 times)

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
Stearman PT-17 (1/32, Roden)
« on: January 22, 2021, 02:51:03 AM »
My modeling New Year has started with this off-topic build. Yet, its presence on my bench is very much related to WW1 aircraft modeling as the purchase of this kit was equally inspired by both, my interest in this classic biplane trainer and my will to support Roden on their resolution to return to WW1 models after WNW demise. So, here it is. And I will do my best to build it despite some claims that this kit is unbuildable...

As is my favourite approach, I plan to build something very different than ordinary US trainer, yet keeping the very much appealing yellow-blue livery. Thus, after some research in the web I chose the Peruvian markings. The invaluable help from Mr. Amaru Tincopa who sent me a couple of great photos of Peruvian Stearmans and my friend Mr.Decal who prepared the decals is gratefully acknowledged here.

I have also acquired two Eduard PE sets with some interior bits and seatbelts. They are dedicated to the ICM kit but I am quite certain they will work here, too.

So the work on the interior and the engine bits led me to the stage just before my airbrush will be busy. All around a fair amount of flash to be removed, some sink marks, including nasty ones on the propeller and on the engine cylinders, were filled with CA glue or with plastic inserts, drilling out of the sockets for pins... A usual modeling work I daresay, but one so remote from the shake and bake WNW kits I got accustomed to recently...

To be continued...

PS. Dear Admin and Mods, if you think that this build by the virtue of being the biplane and being released by our dear WW1 32nd scale aircraft modeling company Roden deserves a space in the usual Under Construction section, please feel free to move it there.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Radarman

Re: Stearman PT-17 (1/32, Roden)
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 03:16:55 AM »
PrezmoL,
I really look forward to following this build. I am very fond of the Stearman biplanes. As a child they were the first biplanes I remember
flying overhead. They were "crop dusters" working the farmlands around us.

Thanks, Kevin           
We are all victims of history!

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 07:27:50 AM »
Prze,

I will be following your progress on this adventure . Have heard great things about this kit and I know you will give it your honest opinion . Engine seems to have good detail to it , are the exhaust hollowed in the kit ?

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 07:57:41 AM »
Hi Prze,
 I was gifted the Stearman for Christmas. I will gain much knowledge from watching your progress.

Enjoy!

vB  :)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2021, 02:46:35 PM »
Interwar biplanes stand among the most fascinating flying creatures. Definitely a build to follow, good luck.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Online PrzemoL

• Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2021, 08:54:30 PM »
Thank you for getting in and leaving kind comments.

Engine seems to have good detail to it , are the exhaust hollowed in the kit ?
Alexis

The detail is fairly good, yet the cooling ribs are barely marked and disappear on the sides. Lots of flash, not too good a fit, which required some sanding and drilling the clogged holes.
The exhaust in Continental R-670 is just one - the pipe at the side of the ring manifold - I had to drill it out. The pipes connecting the cylinders to the ring are not open, so they do not need any drilling. And there is also the air intake to the carb to be placed under the engine - it had to be drilled out, too.

Online PrzemoL

• Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2021, 05:50:25 AM »
The work goes on. The interior truss assembled and ready to take zinc chromate green paint.

But before this the linen on the inside has to be painted and masked. The colour is on, the masks pattern traced.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2021, 05:55:25 AM »
Thanks for your reply Prze .

Are you able to enhance the rib detail on the side ?

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Online PrzemoL

• Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2021, 06:23:03 AM »
This is the best I could do.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2021, 08:04:37 AM »
Das nein gut , with the close up it is very soft in that area . Not sure if one of those PE micro saws that is curved will help in restoring the detail ? I have them , but not good for replacing this kind of detail in 48 scale , but 32 scale though ..now you got me wondering about this .

:)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Online PrzemoL

• Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2021, 08:10:48 AM »
I think I will leave it as it is. The plastc however is quite soft, the redoing should be feasible, on the other hand the access is not easy. Hard decision to make.

Offline Dave Brewer

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2021, 08:57:11 AM »
Pretty disappointing engine, for such a visible feature in this scale I think I would invest in an aftermarket replacement from Silverwings or Vector.
Cheers,
Dave.

Online PrzemoL

• Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2021, 01:20:13 AM »
Are these engines available anywhere, Dave? Anyway, I will paint the kit piece and then take the decision if it indeed requires any treatment

Offline Monty

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2021, 02:13:12 AM »
Nice start, Przemo! This is a wonderful project, and I do like your interesting choice of markings! I few little problems there, but won't be very visible, I'm sure... Regards, Marc

Offline Dave Brewer

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2021, 09:11:55 AM »
I was mistaken about Vector, but Silverwings has the Lycoming R-680 listed, no other information, might be worth an email if you're interested.
Cheers,
Dave.