Author Topic: Roden 1:32 Fokker DR.1 425/17 Manfred von Richthofen  (Read 13400 times)

Offline rhallinger

Re: Roden 1:32 Fokker DR.1 425/17 Manfred von Richthofen
« Reply #105 on: March 16, 2021, 07:37:16 AM »
Looks very real Lance!  I really like the appearance of your weathering on this subject.  Excited to see the finish!

Best regards,

Bob

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #106 on: March 16, 2021, 08:14:24 AM »
That looks outstanding Lance. Superb work and I love the shade of red you are using. It matches the shade of red I saw on MvR artifacts from his Dr.1 at the Australian War Memorial.

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Bughunter

« Reply #107 on: March 16, 2021, 08:22:02 AM »
I really love, how the details form together with the nice color shades a piece of history. Bravo Lance! It looks so real ....

Cheers,
Frank

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #108 on: March 16, 2021, 10:08:21 AM »
    Well, I am humbled by such positive and truly encouraging comments! I thought I might have got a little carried away on the weathering, especially the fresh engine oil on the underside but I guess it's realistic, they were dirty little beasts as we see in the replicas and rebuilds today.I didn't get it finished today, but very nearly........ Tomorrow I'll get the step and lifting handles on, a few more touch ups, and she's done! Photos soon and thanks again for the encouragement!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #109 on: March 17, 2021, 01:44:04 AM »
Excellent progress, Lance. Love those little details!
Cheers,
Gary

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #110 on: March 17, 2021, 12:26:32 PM »
   Thanks Gary, and they never seem to end!
    Despite several interruptions in progress I finished this one today and other then some photos for the Completed Models section this adventure is over. I replaced the kit Lifting Handles with brass wire formed ones as the originals were over scale and very fragile.

The step for the port side was a better fit so the Kit one was added. With a coat of flat black it looks the part.

The wing tip skids were added and , once the rudder rigging was complete the horizontal stab braces as well. The latter had to be redone using brass "Strutz" material, really wish I had more of that stuff!

In the midst of all that action I broke a landing gear strut which had to be re-glued and the bracing adjusted, hopefully none of the damage is apparent.

...... and as a ceremonial final touch popped the prop onto it's shaft.......... it's done!

Here's a couple of real quick work bench shots of the finished model, I'll try for some for Completed Models tomorrow.

Not a "Contest Queen" by any means but, after 60 or more years of model building, I've finally got the Baron's Red Devil in the collection!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #111 on: March 17, 2021, 10:58:43 PM »
The final details and rigging are terrific Lance. One of the nicest RED DR1's I have seen  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #112 on: March 18, 2021, 12:49:12 AM »
Nice rigging Lance!

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #113 on: March 18, 2021, 01:23:57 AM »
Lance, those shots make my heart beat a bit faster--the all red Fokker Dr.I of MVR is the quintessential WWI aircraft we all grew up with as kids back in the 1960s.  You have done a really remarkable job in capturing the look and feel of this iconic aircraft.  Thank you . . . and very well done!

Best regards,

Bob

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #114 on: March 18, 2021, 02:00:34 AM »
That just looks superb, Lance.  Great job!

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #115 on: March 18, 2021, 03:30:34 AM »
   Thanks for the very encouraging comments Guys! Bob, von Richthofen's 425/17 is indeed an icon and I never tire of reading more about it's place, and particularly the man's place, in the historic events of the First Global War.
    I'll try to get some decent photos done for Completed Models later today.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #116 on: March 18, 2021, 06:53:13 AM »
That is an outstanding Dr.1 Lance and your shade of red looks perfect. I love the delicate weathering and the small but important detail you have worked into the model. You have certainly shown how good the Roden kit can be in the hands of a skilled modeller.

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Bughunter

« Reply #117 on: March 18, 2021, 07:02:42 AM »
That is a beautiful result of your great craftsmanship!
Build, painting, weathering, detail, rigging .... all combined created a nice Fokker. 

But
...  after 60 or more years of model building, ...
that is really an impressive figure! Who else can say that? I really hope for you, that you can add more years to it and create more great models with this experience.
Do you have an rough idea how many models you built in that time frame?

All the best for you!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #118 on: March 18, 2021, 08:42:23 AM »
Dave, Frank,
    Thanks for your comments. It is a very good Kit and for it's age offers good value and accuracy.
     As for the "number" Frank I actually lied, it's been nearly 70 years since my first model, a balsa wood and paper tissue Ryan Navion. I quickly realized that paper and tissue was not my "medium" and discovered the balsa and plastic scale models done by, I believe, a Company called Strombecker. How many built? I couldn't even guess. When I left home for Flying Training at 18 I left behind over 50 in care of my kid brother, between his air rifle and trading skills they didn't last very long! There were gaps like all of us over the years but I'd guess a couple of hundred models wouldn't be an exaggeration.
Cheers
Lance

Offline mgunns

« Reply #119 on: March 18, 2021, 01:11:59 PM »
This turned out pretty darned good Lance.  I know you wrestled with certain elements of this kit, but you managed to get 'er on the mat for the three count and I can almost see the Coalminers glove in your display case alongside this model.   I have never been a fan of the 425/17 all red scheme but this one just might convince me to give it a try.  I like the way the red turned out.  I think that is my issue with it is the red makes it look toyish, but this isn't close to being toyish, very well done Lance.  I like your rigging too.  The tubes look pretty small and enhance the rigging.  The conspicuous thing about the broken strut is that it's beyond inconspicuous in that it isn't even visible.  Great recovery there.  Another Outstanding build Lance.
I 'll bet your model count is over 1K, I am sure mine is and I am not too far behind you in years.
Mark

We few, we happy few.....