Author Topic: Roden 1:32 Fokker DR.1 425/17 Manfred von Richthofen  (Read 13172 times)

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
Roden 1:32 Fokker DR.1 425/17 Manfred von Richthofen
« on: January 19, 2021, 09:48:11 AM »
    Having just completed Lothar von Richthofen's 454/17 I've started on his famous brother's final completely red Triplane, 425/17, using the Roden Kit.

I have a large number of After Market items that can be added to the model including a seat cushion from a Barracuda set, Eduard PE components, Master brass gun components, HGW Seat Belts and the Aviattic corrected engine cowling.

References will be the same ones used for the previous Build:

...... and this one just added to the pile!

I have a small amount started; wood graining for the interior, seat and "baffle" started, and the CDL on the inside cockpit area. I've done this Kit before and am looking forward to the second round.

Cheers,
Lance

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Re: Roden 1:32 Fokker DR.1 425/17 Manfred von Richthofen
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 09:54:03 AM »
You are well armed with ref's and a nice collection of goodies , following along  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Fvdm

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2021, 03:46:25 PM »
You have some nice goodies for this one. Have fun.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2021, 11:44:54 PM »
I am pleased to see you tackling another Roden DR1. Your work so far looks awesome as always. The aftermarket will really enhance the kit, especially the cowling.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Monty

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 12:41:47 AM »
A really nice start on a great kit, Lance! With those aftermarket bits your build will be just that bit easier than mine! Are you doing the final iteration of the scheme like mine? I will definitely be following along! Regards, Marc.

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 03:06:10 AM »
Thanks for the comments and encouragement Folks.
Marc, presently I'm planning to do it in the final scheme, like yours with the white rudder. Good to see you got the "red paint challenge" sorted out on yours. It's amazing , or maybe not, how many DR.1's are turning up here recently, the Meng release has caused quite a stir!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2021, 05:59:17 AM »
You nearly caught me napping Lance. I saw this and thought that you had recently finished one of these - and then I looked more closely......

I will be following with interest as there is always something to learn from the master builder.

Stephen.

Bughunter

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2021, 06:41:45 AM »
That build is like a new car: with the price of the accessories you can easily double the list/kit price  8)

I'm sure, you don't need a Meng/WNW kit for a great Dr.I !

Have fun!
Frank

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2021, 02:02:32 PM »
   Thanks Frank and Stephen for your comments! I've finally found some time for a few good sessions on this and made a bit of progress. The cockpit is complete with the exception of the Flight Control stick grip which I'll have to add before closing up the fuselage. Having done this Kit previously I elected to reduce some of the detail which is absolutely invisible on the finished model down by the rudder pedals and aileron flight control wires in the "foot well".
    Here's most of the components worked on to this stage, the fuselage is dry fitted and taped.

Following some views of the cockpit. I've gone with the black frame per the latest theories. Instruments are Aero Scale with faces from the spares box, rigging from the Eduard PE Set for the DR.1 and some scratch built components. Seat is from the Kit, cushion from a left over Barracuda set and the belts are HGW.

Although I had some alignment problems with the fuel tank and floorboard assembly the fuselage (dry fitted here) is a great fit, probably won't even need filler.

.......and last the horizontal stab with the filet filled in with evergreen sheet, filled, and sanded with a coat of primer.

So far so good. I've had a bad "arthritis month" thus the slow progress and "sloppy edges" here and there. 30 years of hauling "G" and being the worlds greatest behind Tom Cruise has caught up to me big time Damn it! I may have to move up to 1:16 Scale soon!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2021, 02:19:13 PM »
Another Dr.I on its way, and a nice start. Following.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Bughunter

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2021, 10:00:16 PM »
I've had a bad "arthritis month"
Sorry Lance to hear this!
A friend told me, "Aging is not for cowards" after talking about little problems that are probably NOTHING compared to you. ::)
I hope you getting better soon!

You may need longer but you definitely made a good progress.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2021, 10:59:51 PM »
really nice start with the cockpit components Lance  :) Arthritis is never fun and I feel for you Lance , for 30 years now I have it in my knees, hips , fingers and just the past few years in my thighs brought on by many many mountain bike crashes  ::)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2021, 12:01:34 AM »
Your Triplane is looking fantastic Lance. The added portion of the fabric baffle looks perfect. I really like how this one is coming together. I hope your Arthritis calms down some soon. Keep up the good fight!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2021, 12:05:10 AM »
   Thanks all, your comments are welcomed and much appreciated. Looking at the macro photos of the inside surfaces of the fuselage and the "lumpy" surface of the fuel tank I regret taking the shortcut around the spray booth and using a brush coat of that nasty acrylic. I find it difficult to get a decent finish despite using retarder ..... lesson learned this time hopefully!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2021, 04:36:26 AM »
This is looking very good Lance. My late father used to say that "old age never comes alone...."Reading your comment suggests that he was right - and from personal experience, I agree with him. However looking at the quality of your work, I think that 1/16th scale is still a long way off in your future.