Author Topic: Pippart's Fokker Dr.1  (Read 4733 times)

Offline fredjocko

Pippart's Fokker Dr.1
« on: January 07, 2021, 11:11:55 PM »
Does anyone have any pictures of the top of this airplane. The red and yellow look very striking. Thank you so much

« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 11:29:03 PM by fredjocko »

Offline RAGIII

Re: Pippart's Fokker Dr.1
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 11:52:27 PM »
This is the only one I have seen. Perhaps others have more?
RAGIII

http://www.fokkerdr1.com/images/Dr1_471-17.jpg
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline fredjocko

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2021, 12:10:40 AM »
This is the only one I have seen. Perhaps others have more?
RAGIII

http://www.fokkerdr1.com/images/Dr1_471-17.jpg

Thank you. That does help.

Offline Berman

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2021, 12:43:38 AM »
 Pheon Decals, on their sold out Dr.I sheet, shows Pippart's fuselage with a solid yellow disc. Orthochromatic film is not sensitive to both red and yellow so they photograph dark. I can not see even the slightest demarcation line between two different colors on the photo, so it appears to be a solid color. The actual color would be just a guess.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2021, 12:59:18 AM »
Pheon Decals, on their sold out Dr.I sheet, shows Pippart's fuselage with a solid yellow disc. Orthochromatic film is not sensitive to both red and yellow so they photograph dark. I can not see even the slightest demarcation line between two different colors on the photo, so it appears to be a solid color. The actual color would be just a guess.

I can "almost" see another circle but it could also be where the black was painted in a circle around the "Yellow". That being said I would question the use of a marking that would so closely match a Belgian roundel. JMHO. Bob Pearson does do diligent research as does Rowan. In the end who knows  8)
RAGIII

Offline fredjocko

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2021, 01:32:25 AM »

I can "almost" see another circle but it could also be where the black was painted in a circle around the "Yellow". That being said I would question the use of a marking that would so closely match a Belgian roundel. JMHO. Bob Pearson does do diligent research as does Rowan. In the end who knows  8)
RAGIII

I am sad to say that it didn't dawn on me until you said that the roundel looks Belgian...  I see more of shift with the circle on the top of the fuselage. Regardless, it is different from the usual Fokker streaky.

Offline fredjocko

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2021, 01:34:33 AM »

Do you have the set of Pheon decals? I missed these. I wonder what the top of the rear fuselage and tail plane looks like.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2021, 01:45:59 AM »

Do you have the set of Pheon decals? I missed these. I wonder what the top of the rear fuselage and tail plane looks like.

Should be standard Jasta 19 markings on the tail. ( Upper and undersurface)

http://www.fokkerdr1.com/Profiles/Profile_RB9.htm

RAGIII

Offline fredjocko

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2021, 01:50:48 AM »

Should be standard Jasta 19 markings on the tail. ( Upper and undersurface)

http://www.fokkerdr1.com/Profiles/Profile_RB9.htm

RAGIII

Duh!! I obviously need a cup of coffee, its been a long day... Thank you

Offline rcboaterbill

• Marine Modelers Club of New England
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2021, 07:47:25 AM »
I am looking at doing Pippart’s black Dr.1 in 1/72, using the Eduard kit.  What I think I have  learned so far is that his plane was finished this way:

Standard blue undersides for wings and fuselage.   Fuselage sides and top painted a dark color ( black seems likely).  Standard white rudder, with a simple straight-sided cross.  Horizontal tail surfaces in standard Jasta 19 colors of yellow with one broad black stripe on each side.  Cowling is white.   Personal marking was a yellow circle on the fuselage sides and top just aft of the cockpit. (No other markings on the fuselage.)

Based on the photo of Pippart next to the plane, I think the wings are the same color as the fuselage- no real signs of Fokker streaking.   I can just see a white-bordered cross on the top wing.   The struts and cabanes both look to be lighter than the wing color- maybe the original light  blue? (Pheon and Bob Pearson both show them black.)
mm high at the “dot spot”, so I’m going to cut a trio of 5mm diameter masks on my Cameo4 cutter.  .

My remaining questions are about the upper surface of the top wing, and the markings on the underside of the bottom wing......

Top Wing:
  The Osprey “Fokker Dr.1 Aces” book says Pippart’s plane had a yellow circle on the center of the top wing, but says nothing else about the wing, and doesn’t include a profile drawing.   I think a 5mm dot may be awfully small looking on the top wing-  so I’m leaning towards painting a larger dot that is about half the wing chord...

Bottom Wing:  What markings there?  I’m guessing standard markings, assuming it is still in original light blue.

I see that Pheon decals has this plane in their JG II collection sheet (now sold out?) - does anyone know what it shows for the top wing?

Comments? Answers?   Thanks for reading this far...

-Bill
Webmaster and Newsletter Editor
Marine Modelers Club of New England

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2021, 10:54:06 AM »
Hi Bill - I have the Pheon set and the markings have a small yellow circle on the decking behind the cockpit, and a larger yellow circle in the centre of the upper wing (about 9mm diameter in 1/72).

Tail is standard Jasta 19 fare - yellow with slanted black stripes.

The old Americal Gryphon sheet for Jasta 19 has the same machine, but with a thin red outline to the circles, with all circles (fuselage and wing) being the same size.

Cheers,

Brad

Offline rcboaterbill

• Marine Modelers Club of New England
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2022, 12:37:56 PM »
Here is how my model turned out…..

Webmaster and Newsletter Editor
Marine Modelers Club of New England

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2022, 08:25:45 AM »
Awesome! Looks Beautiful!
RAGIII

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2022, 04:54:31 PM »
Oh, yes, that's a beautiful Dreidecker! And I am happy to see a „new“ Dr.1-scheme.

Offline Berman

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2022, 03:42:28 AM »
 What ever happened to the website www.fokkerdr1.com ?