Author Topic: New 1/48 Camel from Eduard  (Read 9077 times)

Offline Iancshippee

Re: New 1/48 Camel from Eduard
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2020, 01:22:50 AM »
I also much prefer 1:48 scale for aircraft, as they are much easier to display it terms of the space they take up. It also seems they survive a fall or run-in with a toddler far better that their big brothers! Not as much mass hitting the floor. Looking forward to the new Camel, Eduard, and keep at it! Please please re/tool your Pup and give us a Snipe too someday?

Online RAGIII

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2020, 02:50:30 AM »
Although I haven't worked in 1/48th in years I find this release to be Interesting. Eduard has made quite a "Statement" that I can't overlook. The part about the best and most accurately detailed WW1 kit ever produced in any scale is certainly going to be tough to live up to and if they are successful will obviously set a "New" standard! Watching Terri struggle with the Old kit perhaps it is time for a New 1/48th Camel.  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2020, 03:30:12 AM »
Hi Rick , those struggles I'm sure were self induced  ;)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Bughunter

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2020, 03:59:12 AM »
Eduard was also talking about the SE.5a prior release and that kit is also not disappointing!
There are really clever engineering solutions in it, like the strut alignment.

Both angles (forward and side) are determined during assembly! The main wing fits later perfectly.

For more see my build here: https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=9848.0

The latest 1/48 WWI models are the Siemens-Schuckert D.III and the SE.5a. The Siemens-Schuckert was externally developed (it is nice kit), with the result, that Eduard developed the SE.5a in-house even if this takes longer. The SE.5a is remarkable better!

Cheers,
Frank

Pedja

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2020, 06:07:16 AM »
Well, I have to say that Eduard and especialy Se5a kit, is the main reason for ne to start my WW1 interes. There was no doubt about scale neither, since 48 is my scale for some (long) time.
I can't wait for new tool Camel

Offline rayb24

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2020, 08:29:00 AM »
All these comments about hoping Eduard get more into ww1, are a bit off to me. We all seem to forget that Eduard started with ww1 models in the 90’s. In fact the EIII was there first full model, followed by the Siemens and i think a few Sopwith’s even anal Albatros two seater,  so they do understand the market very well. In fact you could argue that they gave a real early boost that got other companies interested. Of course there tooling is much better now and more expensive so they do have to see the return on investment. Which to me is why they are doing the Camel.
Ray

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2020, 05:26:22 PM »
I moved away from 48th when WNW came onto the scene, but I will be going back for this release.
If they can engineer a kit that is easy to build and has crisp details that are on a par or exceeding WNW capability, then I'm all in.

vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline FokkerFodder

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2020, 06:00:33 PM »
I have to agree I’m getting tempted to try quarter scale - There are some wonderful builds on the forum in this scale and great kits and I’m starting to struggle with space!

Offline loopyloop

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2020, 08:19:02 PM »
Well that's kicked the hanger doors! I hope you guys enjoy Eduards new camel because a new kit is always interesting, My comment was a little teaser due to my eureka moment after discovering WnW's Rumpler going cheap at Scale Modrel World a few years ago. There is better news however and that's Eduard's new combo of little Fokkers with Brassin and loads of markings.
Model on
Karen

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2020, 12:54:56 AM »
while i'm all for supporting manufacturers' ventures into WWI, and more detail is better, and a Camel's a safe way to test the waters, i will never pay money for anything in 1/48. even if it's the Best Kit In The Universe Of My Favorite Subject.

when i got interested in the hobby again, i made a large spreadsheet of all the subjects i'm interested in, and their sizes at various scales from 1/1 down to 1/2400, with the goal of arriving at one scale for everything. the closest i came was 1/72, which is still my main scale. however, when someone said the skipper of the Revell PT-109 looked like Shafty Kennedy, i looked at the figure. it didn't. so i chose 1/32 for 'close ups.'

1/48 is too large for ships and too small for figures. that said, everyone who cares about constant scale is likely to come up with a different answer, and i'm happy for the folks who focus on 1/48, as they were kinda left behind by the whole WNW thing.

i do expect 1/32 is here to stay for WWI stuff, however.

Offline Vickers

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2020, 01:41:08 AM »
I've built two of the 1/48th Eduard Camels, still have 4 more in the stash, and I will probably buy two or more of this next version- especially if they release it as a dual combo or royal class. I enjoyed building the first pair, although they did have a few fiddly fit issues forward of the cockpit. My hope is that they'll include optional engine types & cowlings (including an appropriate variety of decal options) and perhaps tone down the surface detail on the wings a bit.
Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."

Offline Manfred_L

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2020, 07:43:11 PM »
I applaud Eduard for a new WW1 model. But my first wish for a make over would have been the good old Albatros DIII. I still hope for a Pup and a Hannover one day. Then again as was written above, they surely know their market better.

Offline the great waldo

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2020, 08:02:11 PM »
I would love a hannover update and the albatros DIII would also be a great idea. I started with 1/48 eduard Albatros cIII after a break of 30 years and have collefted pretty much all the eduard 1/48 ww1 kits. The wnw are absolutely first class kits but real space hoggers. Hopefully eduard will start up again with more ww1 1/48 releases in the future.
Cheers.
Andrew

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2020, 02:52:49 AM »
    I modeled in 1:48 for years and only went to 1:32 (Before the arrival of Wingnut Wings) when the realities of age related vision deterioration, arthritis, and less steady hands pushed me to the larger scale. As someone has already stated the arrival of the Wingnut surge pushed other companies into the background and now their demise has opened up the market place again. Despite my loyalty to 1;32 Scale and the advantages it provides to me I welcome these new efforts in the smaller scales; it's good for the hobby, at the risk of exaggeration the fans of the smaller scales are rewarded for their patience during the "drought", and it will lead to healthy competition and further development of the products. We've already seen some of these benefits, Copper State,  and now Eduard to name only two are already setting new standards and it will not be long before that trend flows nicely into !:32 as well. Besides all that, what's not to like in a completely new Camel?!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline the great waldo

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2020, 03:56:21 AM »
I would love a hannover update and the albatros DIII would also be a great idea. I started with 1/48 eduard Albatros cIII after a break of 30 years and have collefted pretty much all the eduard 1/48 ww1 kits. The wnw are absolutely first class kits but real space hoggers. Hopefully eduard will start up again with more ww1 1/48 releases in the future.
Cheers.
Andrew