Author Topic: Roden Spad XIII sprue images  (Read 9504 times)

Offline Sosenka

• Fire and Shrapnel
Re: Roden Spad XIII sprue images
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2021, 12:18:39 AM »
Very nice, I liked. Some work to do, keeps the machine oiled.  ;)

Offline Stuart Malone

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2021, 03:05:31 AM »
Anyone know if the color references to Vallejo are new for this kit or has Roden been doing it for a while?  The Spad XIII is the first 1/32 Roden kit I've purchased, but I think all the 1/72 kits were referenced to Humbrol.

Stuart

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2021, 06:44:10 AM »
Anyone know if the color references to Vallejo are new for this kit or has Roden been doing it for a while?  The Spad XIII is the first 1/32 Roden kit I've purchased, but I think all the 1/72 kits were referenced to Humbrol.

Stuart

I have not seen it in any previous WW1 releases which makes sense as Vallejo wasn't here when they last issued a WW1 kit. I can not speak for other era more recent kits. That being said I like the Vallejo references as I have easy access to those paints.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2021, 05:24:26 PM »
Thanks for the pictures, I have mine on pre-order as well. :)

I do wonder about these lines/textures, next to the rib indents, are those meant as fabric representations or just irregularities?

After battling Revell Corsairs with separate wingtips I'm not a fan of those, but if the dimensions match and it's a matter of some careful sanding and filling (Milliput comes to mind) I think I can live with them. After all, more than a few Wingnut kits have separate wing parts as well?

As for the colours; they went from Humbrol to Model Master to Vallejo. I have the Cessna O-1 and O-2 and they both have Vallejo callouts, while the SPAD VII (USAS Boxing with Paul Baer SPA80 on top) has Model Master.

BTW, other than the engine, the clear parts look suspiciously like those from the SPAD VII as well?

Does anyone know if the roundels are the same for the XIII and VII, or are they different sizes?

Can't wait to get mine, now to find some time to actually build something... :-S

Jeroen

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2021, 07:15:56 PM »
Thanks for the pictures, I have mine on pre-order as well. :)

I do wonder about these lines/textures, next to the rib indents, are those meant as fabric representations or just irregularities?

After battling Revell Corsairs with separate wingtips I'm not a fan of those, but if the dimensions match and it's a matter of some careful sanding and filling (Milliput comes to mind) I think I can live with them. After all, more than a few Wingnut kits have separate wing parts as well?

As for the colours; they went from Humbrol to Model Master to Vallejo. I have the Cessna O-1 and O-2 and they both have Vallejo callouts, while the SPAD VII (USAS Boxing with Paul Baer SPA80 on top) has Model Master.

BTW, other than the engine, the clear parts look suspiciously like those from the SPAD VII as well?

Jeroen

It is hard to say for sure about those linen textures, they seem to be just the discontinuity of the injection material and not the surface faults but it would require a layer of primer to make sure. It may be necessary to deal with them with some sanding paper. BTW, I remember the faults of this type on rudder in WNW Gotha G.I - they appeared only after primer. Some care will be required here, no doubt about it.

Separate wing tips have indeed matching dimensions, I do not foresee any serious problems here.

Humbrol to Vallejo transition is indeed the recent feature of Roden kit. Stearman colours have the Vallejo reference, too.

And the clear sprue indeed is identical to that in Spad7 - just checked the sprue photos in their website. Not the highest quality, too, but at least the part used for Spad 13 has the best transparency and smallest deformation.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Online Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2021, 01:42:44 AM »
Hi all,
I've not ordered this kit and probably won't, as I previously built a heavily modified Hobby Craft SPAD XIII.
I have to say, judging by the photographs here, I'm not overly impressed with the quality of the kit Moulds.
There seems to be surface imperfection on the lower right main plane and what appear to be distortions at the sprue gates.
The wing tips parts also seem to have mould marks.
Not great for a new moulded kit.
Just saying  :D

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2021, 04:32:54 AM »
Thanks, PrezemoL :)
So my suspicions regarding the clear parts seemed to be correct.

[speculation mode on]
Big assumption on my part, but since the SPAD VII had the XIII part gated off, it could be assumed that Roden planned a XIII all along and this may have made it possible to get it out so quickly?
[/speculation mode off]

It does look like a typical Roden model that requires some extra effort; however, around here I was never able to source a Hobbycraft XIII so it's a good alternative.
I'm getting one anyway, as I don't have a XIII and am glad there is one available now :)

Jeroen

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2021, 06:53:19 PM »
They certainly did get it out quickly! ;)
‘Not all who wander are lost‘

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2021, 07:29:22 AM »
Thanks, PrezemoL :)
So my suspicions regarding the clear parts seemed to be correct.

[speculation mode on]
Big assumption on my part, but since the SPAD VII had the XIII part gated off, it could be assumed that Roden planned a XIII all along and this may have made it possible to get it out so quickly?
[/speculation mode off]

It does look like a typical Roden model that requires some extra effort; however, around here I was never able to source a Hobbycraft XIII so it's a good alternative.
I'm getting one anyway, as I don't have a XIII and am glad there is one available now :)

Jeroen

I still don't have the kit but I will say that from what I see ,this kit , detail wise, is far and away better than the Hobby Craft kit. Probably 80 t0 90 percent of what Mike Norris had to scratch build is here in this kit! I wasn't going to mention My "Speculation" abut this being a revived project but it does seem possible! There are still a lot of things I intend to mention when I actually have this kit in hand!
RAGIII

Offline Rob_Owens

« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2021, 06:36:40 AM »

Does anyone know if the roundels are the same for the XIII and VII, or are they different sizes?

[/quote]

The upper wing Spad XIII roundels are approximately 48 mm diameter, while those of the Spad VII are approximately 42 mm, reflecting the difference in wing chord. Personally, I’d rather have the Late squared wing tips, if only for the increase in markings possibilities :)

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2021, 08:38:07 AM »
Modified. Google has the answer
‘Not all who wander are lost‘

Offline Captain Slower

• Every Dog Has His Day
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2021, 03:17:37 AM »
I suspect that many of the Part Poland PE would work here.  Though a S XIII set would be preferred.

Offline loopyloop

« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2021, 06:24:47 PM »
 I have heard through the grape vine that the decals are translucent. Is this true? As the grass grows I will never buy this kit because I have enough Roden kits. This is me being diplomatic by the way,
Happy modelling
Loopy

Offline Stuart Malone

« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2021, 04:12:51 AM »
I read a review of the kit and the author mentioned his decals were very nice.  I figured I got both of mine in a bad run as you can see the color of the backing paper through them.  I made a mental note to keep an eye on the usual suspects most likely to produce an aftermarket sheet.  But now, thinking back to when they sent me a missing part to a kit many years ago, I'll send them an email with pictures and inquire about them.

Stuart

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2021, 06:41:05 AM »
I have heard through the grape vine that the decals are translucent. Is this true? As the grass grows I will never buy this kit because I have enough Roden kits. This is me being diplomatic by the way,
Happy modelling
Loopy

I read a review of the kit and the author mentioned his decals were very nice.  I figured I got both of mine in a bad run as you can see the color of the backing paper through them.  I made a mental note to keep an eye on the usual suspects most likely to produce an aftermarket sheet.  But now, thinking back to when they sent me a missing part to a kit many years ago, I'll send them an email with pictures and inquire about them.

Stuart

We have two reviews and two builds in progress here on the Forum. Attaching a link to one of the reviews:

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=12454.0

and one of the builds:

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=12387.0

RAGIII