Author Topic: Meng and Roden Fokker DR1: Jasta 4, Jasta 6, and Jasta 11  (Read 67963 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: Meng and Roden Fokker DR1: Jasta 4, Jasta 6, and Jasta 11
« Reply #270 on: November 25, 2020, 11:05:04 AM »
Beautiful job on the weathering Rick ! Man that looks awesome  :)

Terri

Thanks Terri. I actually like how it is coming out...rare for Me at this stage!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Jeff K

Re: Meng and Roden Fokker DR1: Jasta 4 and Jasta 6.
« Reply #271 on: November 25, 2020, 08:27:40 PM »
late to the party (as usual) but it's good to see that by the time i hear of a disaster the victim has already bounced back.

good thing this isn't a Western and i'm not the Cavalry. please do a) keep building (you can't stop, not worried) but also b) keep posting build logs.

the heartbreaks, too, are instructional and inspirational for us noobs. we, too, will drop an almost finished favorite some day.

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #272 on: November 25, 2020, 08:29:13 PM »

Terri

RAGIII
also remember that for you, you'll see every mistake, every spot where you could have decided differently. it'll never look as awesome sauce to you as it does to the rest of us who aren't thinking about how to tweak your build.

i may be a noob to this stuff but i did serve time in art school... i know the pain...

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #273 on: November 25, 2020, 10:35:35 PM »
Your weathering does look exceptional, Rick. Kudos!

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #274 on: November 25, 2020, 11:44:46 PM »
Just catching up. The ups and downs seem to have swung back to very much up!! Glad you're back on stride!! Model building has always been an escape for me - what happens in that world stays put. A disaster or frustration in a build does not ruin a day it just gets set aside. There are no "have to" or "I must" simply do it or don't. No one is DEPENDING on a build. Yes, there's a financial cost to this hobby but whether the project is completed or not - that money is spent. There is certainly a story now to the Fokker F up that down the line you will probably smile at!! I have watched your progress, the talent, the ability and your enthusiasm for the project at hand and although sympathetic to a catastrophic set back I draw further inspiration from you refocusing and approaching the problem from a new angle. Nicely done!! Crisis averted - proceed......

Steve 

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #275 on: November 26, 2020, 10:07:13 PM »
Great work! Keep going!
‘Not all who wander are lost‘

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #276 on: November 26, 2020, 10:52:46 PM »
So glad to see you back on this build. Too much was done (and well done) before the sad occurrence not to try and recover the model.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline RAGIII

Re: Meng and Roden Fokker DR1: Jasta 4 and Jasta 6.
« Reply #277 on: November 26, 2020, 11:58:32 PM »
late to the party (as usual) but it's good to see that by the time i hear of a disaster the victim has already bounced back.

good thing this isn't a Western and i'm not the Cavalry. please do a) keep building (you can't stop, not worried) but also b) keep posting build logs.

the heartbreaks, too, are instructional and inspirational for us noobs. we, too, will drop an almost finished favorite some day.

Terri

RAGIII
also remember that for you, you'll see every mistake, every spot where you could have decided differently. it'll never look as awesome sauce to you as it does to the rest of us who aren't thinking about how to tweak your build.

i may be a noob to this stuff but i did serve time in art school... i know the pain...

Thanks for the kind words Jeff! It was initially painful but thanks to the Forum Members I am back on Track. No More Drama Queen stuff from Me  ;D
RAGIII

Your weathering does look exceptional, Rick. Kudos!

Thanks Ken. Greatly appreciated!
RAGIII

Just catching up. The ups and downs seem to have swung back to very much up!! Glad you're back on stride!! Model building has always been an escape for me - what happens in that world stays put. A disaster or frustration in a build does not ruin a day it just gets set aside. There are no "have to" or "I must" simply do it or don't. No one is DEPENDING on a build. Yes, there's a financial cost to this hobby but whether the project is completed or not - that money is spent. There is certainly a story now to the Fokker F up that down the line you will probably smile at!! I have watched your progress, the talent, the ability and your enthusiasm for the project at hand and although sympathetic to a catastrophic set back I draw further inspiration from you refocusing and approaching the problem from a new angle. Nicely done!! Crisis averted - proceed......

Steve 

Thanks Steve! II appreciate the thoughts you have expressed here! I can assure you I am indeed back on track and proceeding  8)
RAGIII

Great work! Keep going!

Thank You for the comment!
RAGIII

So glad to see you back on this build. Too much was done (and well done) before the sad occurrence not to try and recover the model.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Thanks Giuseppe! Just to be clear the Jasta 6 "crashed" DR1 was scrapped for parts but  the scheme will be repeated on a "New build" thanks to Ray!
RAGIII

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #278 on: November 27, 2020, 02:50:36 AM »
Hi Rick I read the last dramatic posts on this thread and I understood that COVID could have not been the worst plague of this fantastic 2020. The forum without your works is like a cinema without movies (I am joking and don't want to diminish the great modeller skills of the many other great modelers here).

BTW I am so happy to see you biting the bullet again and the result is another beautiful DR1.

Keep up the fire!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #279 on: November 28, 2020, 12:51:30 AM »
Hi Rick I read the last dramatic posts on this thread and I understood that COVID could have not been the worst plague of this fantastic 2020. The forum without your works is like a cinema without movies (I am joking and don't want to diminish the great modeller skills of the many other great modelers here).

BTW I am so happy to see you biting the bullet again and the result is another beautiful DR1.

Keep up the fire!

Thanks Antonio! I took a day off yesterday for our US Thanksgiving. I hope to make progress today on some of the builds!
RAGIII

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #280 on: November 28, 2020, 10:51:15 AM »
I am nearing completion on the Roden Jasta 4 DR1. I have finished weathering the undersides and fuselage and just need to add a bit to the upper surfaces. Next up will be rigging and then adding the small breakable parts like the step and hand holds. I think it is appropriate while witing on the Meng "Replacement" to note a few comparisons.

Roden:

After 15 years the Roden kit is still pretty nicely done. A few errors of Omission are evident but honestly when the kit was designed Most had No Idaea!

Things I see needing correction:

1. Sand off "Most of the triangular panels on the wing upper surfaces. Honestly some trace "Might"  be visible on the original
2. Do not use the fuel pump on the right fuselage side. This was a tube and valve that was connected to the control stick to more or less "Blip" the engine.( WNW /Meng are the first to get this right) Not generally known when Roden issued their kit.
3. Add some Nail holes to the wing ribs on the upper surface. Looks better even if exaggerated.
4, Correct the gear location on the leading edge.
5. Change the location of the spar inspection panel on the upper wing
6. The tires are too small in diameter( This was only recently discovered). They would be fine if building an F1.
7. The Cowl needs replacing or correction.
8. Fill in the depression on the horizontal tail surfaces( Although honestly there is a depression near the leading edge)
9. Add whatever cockpit details like the triangular panel are needed per your preferences
10.Add the fabric panel above the rear bulkhead.
11. No access hatch on the underside. Use Aviattic PE or Make your own.
12. No stitching on rear fuselage. Use Part, Eduard, or Archer stitching to add.

One thing Roden did get right is the recessed ribs on the undersides of the wing. Ray Rimell suggested adding a thinly stretched sprue piece to enhance the detail. Also the kit is Sturdy, No worries about breaking struts  8)

Meng:

Basically 15 years of improved Mold technology and Information.  Superior in Most respects it does have drawbacks.
1. The Plastic is DIFFERENT! Softer yes, but also more brittle  ::)
2. Tolerances are tight! Perhaps more so than WNW.
3. Because of #2 be SURE you do not Try to Force anything into place! Especially wing Ties and Cabanes!
4.Instrument decals are not very good
5. One Must either have knowledge of their intended subject or do research as the instructions really fall short of giving info on what parts should be used.

So that being said this is where I am on the Roden Jasta 4 build. Weathering of the undersides and Fuselage are done. Just need to pastel the upper surfaces and rig. Then the inevitable touch up:
RAGIII

« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 03:07:05 AM by RAGIII »

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #281 on: November 28, 2020, 12:13:59 PM »
Super results so far Rick ! She is coming along wonderfully and I must that I really like the scheme .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #282 on: November 29, 2020, 12:53:54 AM »
Super results so far Rick ! She is coming along wonderfully and I must that I really like the scheme .

Terri

As always thanks for commenting Terri! Slightly aged photo:

RAGIII
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 03:04:17 AM by RAGIII »

Offline Monty

« Reply #283 on: November 29, 2020, 05:03:25 PM »
Looking quite amazing, so far Rick! The colour scheme is attractive and your streaking effect.. spot on! Agree on your comments on the Roden kit... but quite doable! ATB, Marc

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #284 on: November 30, 2020, 12:03:32 AM »
Looking quite amazing, so far Rick! The colour scheme is attractive and your streaking effect.. spot on! Agree on your comments on the Roden kit... but quite doable! ATB, Marc

Thanks Marc, and yes the Roden kit can be built tp a very accurate and pleasing result!
RAGIII