Author Topic: Meng and Roden Fokker DR1: Jasta 4, Jasta 6, and Jasta 11  (Read 67440 times)

Offline Dave Brewer

Re: Meng and Roden Fokker DR1: Jasta 4 and Jasta 6: Cancelled
« Reply #240 on: November 21, 2020, 09:44:45 PM »
Bloody hell Rick,I think you should now buy a lottery ticket,you're certainly overdue for a large dose of good luck.My commiserations on this pair of setbacks, I really feel for you mate.
Cheers,
Dave.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #241 on: November 22, 2020, 02:45:40 AM »
   That's a real nasty development Rick, the gods of modeling have certainly not smiled on you of late! Don't give up, I'd recommend you order the brass struts and during the wait enjoy the break while two very good things happen .......
 one, you get your mojo recharged and two, two beautifully finished models emerge from the temporary disaster you've been dealt! Oh yes, the "wait" must include an hour or two sitting at the "Bench" working on a couple of really cold brews ........ good for the soul doncha know!
Cheers,
Lance

Bughunter

« Reply #242 on: November 22, 2020, 02:50:13 AM »
What a sad news!

A large thanks to ALL who have supported My builds over the years!
Rick, that sounds so damn definitive! Please don't leave us here alone!
Make a break, recover your mojo but come back someday please.

All the best to you,
Frank

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #243 on: November 22, 2020, 04:47:12 AM »
Ah Rick,

Put them in a box, take a few days out, then build something simple that really floats yr boat! Even something completely out of left field - a guilty pleasure! I’ve had so many disasters it’s not funny!

All the best,

Guy

“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #244 on: November 22, 2020, 07:19:01 AM »
Darn!!!

How much bad luck can you run into!

I hope you get your mojo back soon Rick, and I hope to see you back here soon with another of your beautiful builds.

Willem

Offline William Adair

« Reply #245 on: November 22, 2020, 08:18:34 AM »
Rick, I am so sorry to hear about the damage.  I have been enjoying your builds immensely and watch out for them every time I visit here.
If it seems too much, just put them aside for now and enjoy the next project.  You may find that Meng and Roden have a parts replacement service for the pieces you need.  If not, you still have the originals to use as templates.  And there might well come a day where you are able to use them as patterns to make your own replacement parts.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 07:06:41 PM by William Adair »

Offline mgunns

« Reply #246 on: November 22, 2020, 01:51:47 PM »
I agree with Bob and the rest; take some time away from the hobby, clear your head, focus and get back into it.  Like Bob wrote:  "It's in your blood" and as Terri wrote, you are a valuable member of the group.  I admire your work and the effort you put into the model and the time take photo's, and share your work.  Hang in there Rick, this too shall pass. 
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline Borsos

« Reply #247 on: November 22, 2020, 05:09:27 PM »
That’s really a pity to see the 2nd plane go. I definitely hope that your mood recovers in the near future, we‘ll miss your build reports very much!
All the best,
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Monty

« Reply #248 on: November 22, 2020, 05:39:50 PM »
I'm really sorry to hear this, Rick. And yes, it does happen to most of us far too often... There are many reasons to give it a break, walk away and come back later.. This thread was the inspiration for me to pick up my Roden Dr.1 again, the first decent project I've tackled all year, so I will try to carry on with the show! Take it easy, Rick, Regards and Salutations, Marc.

Offline Europapete

« Reply #249 on: November 22, 2020, 10:28:47 PM »
Aww MAN! take some time out Rick, paint the bedroom or remodel the kitchen. Come back to the bench and build a dinosaur. You are a valued freind here, we need you. Regards, Pete in RI

Online macsporran

« Reply #250 on: November 22, 2020, 10:53:49 PM »
Rotten deal, Rick. Looking back they were coming along nicely.

Can I just say one of the reasons I don't publish day by day progress reports is that too many times fate intervenes with a deus ex machina like this. I wait till it's safely finished - probably why I post few current builds! (Other reasons are my snail's pace and poor photography skills!)
I'm sure in a few days you'll be ready to wrest success from the jaws of defeat.
Sandy

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #251 on: November 23, 2020, 07:30:07 PM »
Really pity to see such end. Especially with such care and success in streaking camo. But then, do not bin it, a day may come you may wish to return to them.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline RAGIII

Re: Meng and Roden Fokker DR1: Jasta 4 and Jasta 6:
« Reply #252 on: November 23, 2020, 11:45:35 PM »
I am not sure where to begin here so if this comes out looking rather Random so be it.

First, I never intended to "Leave the Forum" The Forum is too much a part of My Daily routine and I Love this place and Most of all the Modelers. I did however, fully intend to STOP posting build logs. A few things have happened that changed My Mind. After a few days of getting over the second disaster I started feeling better about Modeling. The Major Reason  is this Forum and especially the Community of Modelers involved. I can't say enough about the responses and what they have done to Inspire Me. I am but a small part player here...No One is More important than the Community! 

So, Having thought things over and due to a couple of PM's  I received I am going to re-open this log!  Thank You Dave W for your Messages!  I also received a Message from rayb24. This Message is the One that really showed Me How Generous and supportive this Community is. I am posting a copy of the text for all to see.

"Hey Rick, i was following your build, i have 3 Meng dr1’s and your welcome to one. No charge, you can either use the parts to fix what you have or start again.. i’ve been where you are with a few built(nearly) models. So no the feeling."

Ray

I accepted Ray's offer and of course When the opportunity arises I will Pay His Generosity forward! I will build the Meng kit in the intended Jasta 6 scheme and hopefully make it even better. I also will finish the Roden build as another Forum Member Pete supplied Me with a Lot of aftermarket stuff to make it better! I also remembered that this Roden kit was a "Prize" for My Participation in the Des Delatore GB. It wouldn't be fitting to stop the build log!!

Now, in Typical RAGIII style I will add a third DR1 to the build, another Roden kit using Parts and pieces scavanged from the wreck  ::)  Photo soon.

Thank You All for being a Part of the Community and a Daily Inspiration!

RAGIII
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 12:29:36 AM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline gedmundson

Re: Meng and Roden Fokker DR1: Jasta 4 and Jasta 6.
« Reply #253 on: November 23, 2020, 11:54:17 PM »
Just catching up on all this Rick - glad you are getting back in the saddle and moving ahead.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline RAGIII

Re: Meng and Roden Fokker DR1: Jasta 4 and Jasta 6.
« Reply #254 on: November 24, 2020, 12:06:44 AM »
Just catching up on all this Rick - glad you are getting back in the saddle and moving ahead.
Cheers,
Gary

Thanks Gary! Here are the first photos of the second Roden DR1. This one I intend to do as DR1 502/17 from Jasta 11. I was able to salvage the Meng interior "Almost" in tact! I haven't worked on the other kits much but I began to wonder if I could mate the Meng interior with the Roden kit. After some sanding and filing this is the results to date:

Still needs tweaking and I will need to remove the instrument and fuel fillers to make it work.

RAGIII
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 12:12:01 AM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler