Author Topic: Eduard 1/48 Bristol F.2b  (Read 5011 times)

Offline FAf

Eduard 1/48 Bristol F.2b
« on: August 28, 2020, 06:29:13 AM »
Hi all!
For different reasons I've been quite a silent viewer for about three months and I must say that there's been a lot of good and inspiring builds to look at. Well done everyone! The main reasons for my semi-absence has been the 1:1 fence and a wooden deck area we've been building this staycation summer - very happy with that!

Modelwise I've been working on a new project. This time it's Eduard's weekend boxing of the Brisfit. It's actually nearing completion so here's a lot of pictures on three months worth of in-between modelling...

I started out with the idea to build the model as one of the box options, but that changed later as I was browsing through WNW's manual for the Brisfit.

[EDIT: Not my copyright, obviously!]

Beginning as usual with primer - Mr Surfacer and lots of toothpicks.

Detail painting prior to closing the fuselage and a pic of the interior after closing it up.

It took a bit of filler to even out the surfaces, but I was a bit sloppy and destroyed some of the stitching in the process. Stupid mistake!

Struts... not much to say really.

Paint and shadowing of the fuselage and wings.

Masks on for roundels, rudder flash and a "T". Some more masking and lots and lots of wires...

This is where I am at the moment!
Take care!
/Fredrik
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 07:15:30 AM by FAf »

Offline RAGIII

Re: Eduard 1/48 Bristol F.2b
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2020, 08:23:40 AM »
Wow! Quite a start to say the least. All looks awesome from the wood grain to the completed interior. Looks great all together and I am looking forward to your next update!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2020, 09:51:10 AM »
Very impressive so far Fredrik , really like the toning you did on the fuselage and wings .  :) Looking forward on the next stage  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2020, 12:33:07 AM »
Nice masking Fredrik!

I’ve got one of these started in the stash, will be eager to see how she turns out!

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2020, 03:56:54 PM »
Looks great, Man!
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2020, 02:27:35 AM »
That is a very impressive model in the making! The T is very good - was it self made? The shading on the wings is also first class. Good luck with the rigging.

Stephen.

Offline FAf

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2020, 07:06:53 AM »
Thank you all for your supportive comments! Friendliest forum ever!

Tried Eduard's suggestion for the PC10 - Gunze H309 and the fading is partly from the uneven spraying of that and partly by masking off the ribs and spraying diluted Tamiya smoke around them.

Stephen: all markings self made and sprayed - personally I like the way white markings come out when you spray them, white but not as stark as most decals.

Rigging has started and I'll probably use a lot of that good luck wish.

The horizontal tail plane was a bit skewed and i tried to pull it right using the rigging. I think I managed, but it's probably not visible from these two pictures. My main problem so far is where to start and where to go from there. There's a lot of rigging on this one! Another problem is the fact that Eduard is a bit off when it comes to the rigging diagram - two questions if anyone can answer them

1. Should there be a control cable from the fuselage and into the bottom wing just short of the outer struts? I imagine that this is the control cable for the ailerons?!

2. Should all control cables for the rudder and elevators be double? Looking at different walkarounds it looks that way, but it isn't shown like that in either Eduard's or WnW's rigging diagrams.

Some of today's work - not all detail painting done yet...

/FAf

Offline FAf

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2020, 05:19:48 PM »
So one question mark has become an exclamation mark instead. Thank you sp for clarifying the wing control wires! Much appreciated!

/Fredrik

Offline smperry

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2020, 07:37:15 PM »
FAf
You are most welcome.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2020, 06:32:43 AM »
Cross referencing from Gary's Manchester build, reference struts.

If you use my method you will need to support the wings until you have at least two pairs of struts in place. I use card as it is cheap, easy to cut and does not mark any paintwork. If you look up my partial strip-down Vickers Gunbus, the Pheonix A or Hansa-Brandenburg CC build logs you will see what I mean. I am hoping to put up a post for my current build showing card jigs too - hopefully in the next couple of days.

Hope this helps.

Stephen

Offline FAf

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2020, 03:17:28 PM »
Thanks Stephen! I'll have a look at your builds and see what I can do.

Also - thanks to Frank for pointing me in the direction of his outstanding build here on the forum!

/Fredrik

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2020, 12:31:05 AM »
Outstanding work, Fredrik.  This will look great when done.

Offline smperry

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2020, 01:20:20 AM »
Great turnbuckle work, especially in 1/48 scale. Looking forward to seeing more of this build.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2020, 02:23:12 AM »
Awesome rigging on the tail surfaces! Really looking fantastic!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline fredjocko

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2020, 03:47:24 AM »
Fantastic work on build and rigging.