Author Topic: 1/72 Avro Manchester (no, not that one)  (Read 5687 times)

Offline Gisbod

1/72 Avro Manchester (no, not that one)
« on: August 16, 2020, 05:07:41 AM »

Hi again fellas,

I tend to get mini modelling obsessions - my latest one is 1/72 resin kits, specifically, Ardpol, a Polish manufacturer now out of business. I’ve a thread running already on an Ardpol LVG C.VI, but this arrived today and I couldn’t resist taking a sneaky peek!

It’s an aircraft I’d never heard of before (her later sister, yes, but the 533 Mk.I no). I’m always amazed at the amount of aircraft I stumble across I’d never seen before, despite a life long interest in all things Aviation, and in particular WW1.

Mini Wiki summary:

“Designed as a twin-engine bomber and photo-reconnaissance aircraft, the Avro 533 was a development of the earlier 523 and 529A. Originally designated the Avro 529B, the new 320 hp (240 kW) ABC Dragonfly I nine-cylinder engine was specified, but with a redesign in July 1918, the type number was subsequently changed to Avro 533. When the original engines were not available, the 300 hp (220 kW) Siddeley Puma engine was substituted on the second prototype in November 1918, this acquiring a new designation, the Avro 533A Manchester Mk II, and first flying in December that year. An American 400 hp (300 kW) Liberty engine was also proposed as an alternate engine.”

So only 3 ended up being built then scrapped, the Mk1 (this model), the MkII, and (imaginatively  ;D ) the MkIII.

And what a beauty she was! (and very shiny - straight out of the showroom  8) ).

Here’s the Ardpol Box top:

And, basically, what you get in the box! Slightly daunting at this stage:

A plan view:

Hope you can follow along, it should be fun!  ;)

Guy

Ps first thing I’ve noticed is the kit roundels have a fine white border that doesn’t seem to be replicated in the photos.

Pps I got the kit from Super-Hobby.com in Poland - postage was £3.20 and arrived in 3 days! Very impressive...

“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline rhallinger

Re: 1/72 Avro Manchester (no, not that one)
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 05:17:09 AM »
This looks fascinating Guy!  I, too, suffer from such mini-obsessions on occasion.  It tends to inflate the stash, since I procure far more than I can build, but it's fun and satisfying, and that's what counts.  I also like unusual types, so I will follow this build and enjoy your progress.  Good luck! ;D

Best regards,

Bob

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 05:50:07 AM »
Yes Bob,

I get an obsession about a particular manufacturer/ era/ scale/ ships/ etc etc
- buy up the world’s supply then my fancy changes to something else...

Still, I do enjoy the process at least, hopefully I’ll get a few of these made before I become abnormally obsessed with submersibles or gliders or something  ::)

Guy

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2020, 06:02:33 AM »
Ps

Any idea what this metal rod would have been for? Structural? Engine related?

Guy

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2020, 08:34:51 AM »
This should be another interesting build. It is of course an unusual aircraft so I will be following with interest!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline enathan

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2020, 08:55:55 AM »
The Manchester Mk.1 was on my wish list for long. When you ordered the last one from Super Hobby I realized it's now or (maybe) never and ordered one from Polish Made... It looks lovely Guy, have fun building it.

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2020, 05:34:25 PM »
Glad to have you on board Rick  ;)

The Manchester Mk.1 was on my wish list for long. When you ordered the last one from Super Hobby I realized it's now or (maybe) never and ordered one from Polish Made... It looks lovely Guy, have fun building it.

Great! Let’s have two concurrent build threads on the Manchester Mk.I - I bet that’s not happened too often!

The colour in the photo looks like a sleek inky black! Would that have just been the nature of the film? Would it have been a standard PC10?

Guy

Offline ermeio

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2020, 05:56:42 PM »
Great choice!
it is an interesting and less known subject

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2020, 10:54:46 AM »
Looking forward on seeing how this turns out  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2020, 06:34:31 PM »
Looks like a nice subject and kit.  Have you found much warpage in the parts?  Ardpol's early kits had quite a bit of it.

Bughunter

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2020, 08:38:33 PM »
Oh, all parts already separated from sprue?  ;D ;D ;D

Somebody got a taste of bloodresin!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2020, 11:41:43 PM »
Thanks chaps,

Looks like a nice subject and kit.  Have you found much warpage in the parts?  Ardpol's early kits had quite a bit of it.

No not much to be honest Ken. It states plunging parts into boiling water to regain their original shape if required, but the wings are taped to stiff card In the box which has stopped mine warping.

Oh, all parts already separated from sprue?  ;D ;D ;D

Somebody got a taste of bloodresin!

Cheers,
Frank

That’s actually how it comes in the box Frank - just a single clear bag of loose parts other than the fuselage and wings.

I’ve just started cleaning up. Nothings numbered - these are all of the struts! Don’t know what goes where, it’ll be a case of experimenting as I go along!

The engine nacelles glued together and sanded (thin CA - seems to work well with the resin). The sanding did however reveal a few pin holes in the resin material (air bubbles I guess) but easily filled.

The pilot’s cockpit area. The control wheel is nicely moulded for this scale, but what a pain to get the flash off neatly! Note the moulding defect on the forward deck.

The main undercarriage legs - I at first thought one was the control column shaft so cut it off the base! So had to pin and glue that back together...  ::)

The IP.. pretty decent...

Guy

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2020, 02:45:00 AM »
Excellent start. I don't envy your task of figuring out the struts but I am sure you will succeed!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2020, 04:27:24 AM »
Thanks Rick,

Just a couple of interior shots. I think the detail is really good - not a lot to add.

Guy

Online lone modeller

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2020, 05:17:49 AM »
Been away Guy so only just found this. I too am a fan of prototypes and the lesser known: I did know of the early Manchester as I have British Bomber Since 1914 and it is briefly described there. An interesting type directly contemporary with the DH 10 and Vimy, and as we know few of either got into service.

Those struts may look a bit daunting at the moment but once you sort out the mainplanes and cabanes that will only leave the engine struts. I sometimes get confused when I mass produce mine and put them to one side for a few weeks while I am making and assembling other parts - use the plans as they are good indicators of sizes.

Will be following with interest especially as this is in the Correct (ie. God's Own), Scale.

Stephen.