Author Topic: 1/72 Avro Manchester (no, not that one)  (Read 5669 times)

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Re: 1/72 Avro Manchester (no, not that one)
« Reply #60 on: August 29, 2020, 01:13:53 PM »
Excellent outcome Guy  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2020, 03:46:25 PM »
Looks great all rigged up!  Nice work!
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2020, 04:19:26 PM »
Thanks again Stephen, Rick, Prze Terri, Gaz!

Awesome! You guys are making me think about dusting off a gift My Mother gave Me years ago...a Soldering Iron( Cool Heat). Maybe there is hope for me yet!
RAGIII

Definitely Rick, it’s certainly easier than I thought. As Stephen said, I think Flux is the secret. Just slop it on the joint beforehand.

If I had put on all of those struts I would have started with the outers and then added the remainder two at a time. I built the Frog Vimy and the Airfix 0/400 kits in that way, and I regularly scratch build aircraft with multiple struts in the same way, (Caproni Ca 5 for example). I know that it is too late now but you might find the idea useful for another time.

Frank: you must use flux when soldering - it cleans the joint and makes the solder flow otherwise you will get awful joints. As Gary has commented, solder is easily filed to clean the joints and the results are very much stronger than CA or any other glue. Soldering is not nearly as difficult as many imagine (and as I used to do).

Stephen.

That’s a very good tip re the struts Stephen. I’ll definitely try that in future. I think that’s the only part of modelling that still scares me!

To be honest, I’m racing along now. Next post might be in the completed model section!

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2020, 12:18:03 AM »
I'm glad to see you were able to work out the struts and landing gear issues.  Building resin kits has enabled you to expand your skills and use of different materials beyond just resin.

Online FAf

« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2020, 07:39:19 AM »
I think I'll borrow that tip about the struts for my Brisfit, even if there are fewer of them than on your Manchester.

Looking forward to completion!
/Fredrik

Offline TimK

« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2020, 06:48:26 PM »
Thanks for sharing your great build of an interesting aircraft.
Does anyone know of any other kit than this which provides an ABC Dragonfly engine, at any scale?
Thanks,
Tim