Author Topic: Checker Time , Sopwith Camel  (Read 17083 times)

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Re: Checker Time , Sopwith Camel
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2020, 11:25:04 AM »
Now I hadn't thought of a two tone base for wood. I can see where that might have some applications. Thanks for the tip.
I have to ask. What is meant by "Filters" ? That was not a term bandied about back in the day and it is totally new to me. A tinted clear sort of thing?
sp

Hi sp , sorry for not getting back too you sooner . Read your post this morning but was in no mood this morning for typing . All is good now though and feeling much happier !

Yes , filters work wonders and help bring the whole effect together . For my base coat on my Lloyd build it has a two tone on the wings and fuselage . Same as the HB D.1 .

It is basically clear coating with a tint . You can make this tint as light or dark with any colour you want . ( also works most excellent for doing washes )  ;) When I do a filter a light brown is use for darker tones and a tanish for lighter tones . Before I do my finally clear coating panel lines and edges , around hatches I spray with thinned tamiya smoke slowly building this up , it doesn't take much to over do it . Filters you can build up different effects with in the tones going over a area with a few more passes then others .

Terri

Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline smperry

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2020, 04:12:50 PM »
Thanks Terri. My go to clear is Future, so any filters I make up will be versions of tinted Future. Watercolors or watercolor pencil scrapings for lighter tint and acrylic paint for a more robust tint. Right now the only tinted Future I have is yellow acrylic that I use on props. I will make up light browns and redish browns as I do more wood. I had never heard the idea called filters. I will have to get some of that Flory wash. watched hos video and was most impressed. Works right in with clear coating and filters.
sp

There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2020, 10:57:05 PM »
Looking good Terri...

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2020, 05:38:33 AM »
Just to add to the tinted future idea, it’s something I use often but make a little up each time.

For a quick wood effect, I’ll spray a light tan base coat, then instead of using oils I “shade” with a variety of coloured pencils lightly dragged over the surface.  Then I’ll add a drop of brown acrylic paint into a half teaspoon full of future/klear and brush on, in several coats.  I do the same but with a drop of white or yellow paint to apply to clear plastic parts for fuel gauges, light fittings etc.

Sorry Terri, don’t want to distract from your build.. !  Just echoing your filtering   :)

Looking forward to more progress pics..

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2020, 10:16:56 AM »
Your welcome sp  :)

Thanks Guy  8)

Ian , no need to be sorry for info which helps out others . Thanks for sharing  8) 8) 8) More progress will becoming soon , weekend is almost here !!!! ;D

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2020, 10:21:07 AM »
Rest of the push rods are done and I'm ready to start the spraying for the black base for the alum .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2020, 10:37:55 AM »
Black basing is as far as I got on this one today . Weather was beautiful so I went for a walk and did my a bit stuff around the house .

Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2020, 02:51:19 AM »
Great start on painting the engine. I am looking forward to the next step Terri!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2020, 05:22:57 AM »
Certainly agree with Rick about the engine - looking very good. A walk in the good weather is an excellent idea - there will be plenty of time for modelling in the winter when the days are short and the weather awful!

Stephen.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2020, 09:37:52 AM »
Thanks guys  :) We have a fair bit of moisture in the air making it humid so I will give this a few days to cure a bit more before I start spraying the Vallejo Metal coat .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline AndRoby67

« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2020, 04:37:50 AM »
Hi Terri!
Good first steps in this build. I'm sure that you have, but this is photo of original one, here in Italy.
Good idea for diorama too.
My two cents!
Roberto

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2020, 12:45:27 PM »
Thanks Roberto ,  yes I have the photo as well but thank you for posting . Eduard did get the " R " wrong for the decal but I'm going to leave it as is .

Engine was sprayed with Vallejo Metal Coat and a wash of black to highly the details and blacking the cylinders . Inductions pipes got the copper treatment and that is todays work on this one .

Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2020, 12:46:00 PM »
 :)
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2020, 02:05:54 PM »
Good work on that engine, Terri!
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2020, 09:35:51 PM »
Thanks Gaz  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch