Author Topic: Checker Time , Sopwith Camel  (Read 16841 times)

Offline lone modeller

Re: Checker Time , Sopwith Camel
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2020, 03:44:55 AM »
Engine looks good so far Terri. What will you use for the push rods? Thin wire? I agree that plastic ones always look too thick unless they are of stretched sprue.

Stephen.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2020, 11:52:01 AM »
Thanks guys  :)

Stephen , I will be using plastic rod 0.03mm for the pushrod replacement . I don't have stiff enough wire for the job and I really don't want to go the HS just yet .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Early Bird Fan

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2020, 03:52:53 PM »
looking forward to seeing this one come together, should be a very striking/eye catching scheme

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2020, 11:28:44 AM »
Sure hope so , now if I could only get started  ::)

Teeri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline fredjocko

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2020, 09:17:07 PM »
Very nice subject. Looking forward to watching your adventure. I do not like brass tubing and I have started using .3mm plastic rod from Plastruct, 90850 MR-10. They are very easy to use and a package is less than $5.00 USD and each piece is about 12" long and there are 10 pieces to a package.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 09:40:20 PM by fredjocko »

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2020, 10:19:52 AM »
That's what I use . I have .3mm - .5mm for doing push rods and very cheap for me at the local HS . 3 bucks per package . Then again the last time I purchased some ...well , really can't recall , but it has been a long time so the price could be more now . Still though 5 bucks isn't bad at all Fred

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2020, 10:09:04 AM »
Okay ! Was finally able to get some paint sprayed , CDL and the base shade for the wood . Push rods are underway with one more row to go .

Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2020, 10:09:32 AM »
 :)
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2020, 10:10:00 AM »
 :)
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline smperry

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2020, 10:58:33 AM »
The thumbnail photo of the 2 fuse halves on the wing looked like a twin boom Camel at first glance. I gotta quit putting off a trip to the eye doctor for new lenses

Thanks for a good shot of your wood base coat. I believe I see now why my wood painting is not exactly what I want. I am using too dark a base color.

sp

There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline Early Bird Fan

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2020, 01:01:13 AM »
coming along nicely

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2020, 01:29:00 AM »
Nice start on the interior painting and the push rods look great Terri!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2020, 02:25:48 AM »
The painting looks fine - I too have had to learn to use base coats: my artistic skills are in the minus range....  The push rods are ahuge improvement on the kit parts - they are just so damn fiddly to fit!

Stephen.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2020, 10:42:48 AM »
Thanks guys for still tagging along on such a small update  ;)

Stephen , it might seem fiddly doing the push rods but I drill holes deep enough that it gives me a bit of wiggle room and saves on having to keep trimming for that perfect fit .

SP , if you are starting with a dark base coat , spray a lighter shade in the center of the panels then do your grain effect and clear coating . I do my base coat to the effect I'm looking for so sometimes it is a light shade or a dark shade or a mixture of both . For filters I thin future with tamiya paint 90/10 or tamiya paint with water and just a tad of dish soap so the water doesn't bead on the surface . I do like your wood though it is calming  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline smperry

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2020, 11:15:39 AM »
Now I hadn't thought of a two tone base for wood. I can see where that might have some applications. Thanks for the tip.
I have to ask. What is meant by "Filters" ? That was not a term bandied about back in the day and it is totally new to me. A tinted clear sort of thing?
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.