Author Topic: Meng announces a 1/32 scale Fokker DR.1  (Read 39941 times)

Offline eclarson

Re: Meng announces a 1/32 scale Fokker DR.1
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2020, 04:39:29 AM »
Scalemates seems to think it's the WNW kit.  Note the timeline.

Of course Scalemates could just be expressing wishful thinking too!   :D

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/meng-qs-002-fokker-dri-triplane--1291609#

Eric
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 05:20:31 AM by eclarson »

Offline Europapete

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2020, 05:07:38 AM »
You are right Lance, the Roden kit is nice and there is no such thing as too many Dr1's! lol

Offline ThePenguin

« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2020, 06:12:21 AM »
Interesting, my Red Baron figure will be able to choose his mounts :).

So, the HP's and Lanc's weren't moulded by Meng, going to be interesting to see if the others show up under different manufacturers. I guess I will hang off buying that HK Lanc for awhile....

I'm doubtful we'll see WNW\Weta re-run kits in the foreseeable future if ever. Who actually does own the moulds? So far everything matches what was released by Dave's initial posts (don't want to dwell too much on the point, but the amount of toxicity without any debate from a number of sites and groups online was eye opening in negative way).

Offline SimonCornes

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2020, 06:26:16 AM »
I wonder how much a Meng Dr.I will cost? I imagine a Wingnut kit would have cost $79/£79 and the Roden Dr.1 costs £55.The CSM Nieuports retail at £67 so where will Meng be? Especially as this kit is going to include all of the bits in one box? I'm guessing between £50 and £65 based on their prices for aircraft kits and AFV's. That would be fine! But will we get a Wingnut style instruction sheet? And what about decals where Wingnut would have given us markings for 5 alternatives? All very interesting!!

Offline Dave J

« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2020, 06:50:42 AM »
Great news, very intriguing too. I will be one the many buying one of these.

I can't help but wonder if Meng will be releasing a 1/32 Lancaster soon too.  ;)

That I don't think will happen. That was at another tooling company along with 1/32 HP's. But you may never know, I didn't expect this one coming!
Dave Johnson
Wellington, New Zealand

Former Wingnut Wings Dungeon Master, Sales & Logistics Manager

Offline Dave J

« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2020, 06:53:58 AM »
I wonder how much a Meng Dr.I will cost? I imagine a Wingnut kit would have cost $79/£79 and the Roden Dr.1 costs £55.The CSM Nieuports retail at £67 so where will Meng be? Especially as this kit is going to include all of the bits in one box? I'm guessing between £50 and £65 based on their prices for aircraft kits and AFV's. That would be fine! But will we get a Wingnut style instruction sheet? And what about decals where Wingnut would have given us markings for 5 alternatives? All very interesting!!

I am thinking it will be around the US$65 mark. The instructions will be interesting to see, if they have used what was/has been laid out by WNW or go with their own style. The box states there are 3 decal schemes.
Dave Johnson
Wellington, New Zealand

Former Wingnut Wings Dungeon Master, Sales & Logistics Manager

Dekenba1

« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2020, 07:04:19 AM »
I hope it's legit. If not, no DR.1 for me.

vB

Would you not base your decision upon the quality & pricing of the Meng kit, rather than whether it was a previous WNW mould?

Dekenba1

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2020, 07:13:47 AM »
I'd be shocked if this were anything other than the WNW kit.

Just makes no sense otherwise, unless you believe in coincidences.

The Roden kits are available at around £25-£30. They will still offer great value for money, even if this trump's them technically.

Pricing will be interesting. How close to $79 will it be!?

Had a quick look at LSP, and it continues to treat WNW as some kind of nasty, to be avoided virus. Very, very odd. I used to enjoy it there, but no longer -  Some time ago I was encouraged by a moderator to go elsewhere to discuss WNW & it's demise.....

Offline Bill_S

« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2020, 07:15:39 AM »
Great news, very intriguing too. I will be one the many buying one of these.

I can't help but wonder if Meng will be releasing a 1/32 Lancaster soon too.  ;)

That I don't think will happen. That was at another tooling company along with 1/32 HP's. But you may never know, I didn't expect this one coming!

I wonder how many others were tooled by Meng - and which ones...

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2020, 07:21:06 AM »
I'm glad it's here, and have read enough to be convinced where the moulds came from.  I'll buy one or two...  I am most concerned about decals.  Hopefully the sheets will be as comprehensive as WNW's.  I've come to love all of the dials and stencils that came with a WNW kit.  Their 5 color lozenge didn;t look right...  but there isn't any on the Dr.I.
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline Viper730

« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2020, 07:26:37 AM »
Can't wait! Seems like the release is not to far off. I guess WNW was that close to releasing the kit before the plug was pulled.

Dekenba1

« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2020, 07:46:29 AM »
Scalemates seems to think it's the WNW kit.  Note the timeline.

Of course Scalemates could just be expressing wishful thinking too!   :D

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/meng-qs-002-fokker-dri-triplane--1291609#

Eric

They may well be correct, but Scalemates can be edited by anybody with an account, so I'd not read too much into that.

I still personally think they are correct, though!

Online Rob_Owens

« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2020, 07:54:34 AM »
Their 5 color lozenge didn;t look right...  but there isn't any on the Dr.I.

No Loz?? What?? You haven’t seen The Blue Max??? ;)

To me, the best news is that Rowan, Sabine, & Co. have an incentive to complete new 1/32 Dr.I sheets.

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2020, 07:55:59 AM »
I hope it's legit. If not, no DR.1 for me.

vB

Would you not base your decision upon the quality & pricing of the Meng kit, rather than whether it was a previous WNW mould?

That all depends on how the moulds came to Meng. If there is a deal between WNW and Meng, I will happily add the DR.1 to the stash. I will leave the other scenarios at the door.
Let's wait and see where this goes.

vB  :)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Vickers

« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2020, 08:16:53 AM »
That all depends on how the moulds came to Meng. If there is a deal between WNW and Meng, I will happily add the DR.1 to the stash. I will leave the other scenarios at the door.
Let's wait and see where this goes.

I agree, absolutely. If this does indeed turn out to be an instance of "possession is 9/10ths of the law" and the molds have been hijacked by Meng rather than with the blessing of WNW, then I'll stick with my Rodens. However, if these are indeed the same designs that WNW was developing and there's been an affable arrangement between Meng and WNW to bring them to fruition under the Meng label, then I'll be happy to buy a half-dozen. And I'll still plan on building the Rodens.
Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."