Author Topic: Meng announces a 1/32 scale Fokker DR.1  (Read 40358 times)

Offline Bill_S

Re: Meng announces a 1/32 scale Fokker DR.1
« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2020, 01:24:03 PM »
I wonder how much a Meng Dr.I will cost? I imagine a Wingnut kit would have cost $79/£79 and the Roden Dr.1 costs £55.The CSM Nieuports retail at £67 so where will Meng be? Especially as this kit is going to include all of the bits in one box? I'm guessing between £50 and £65 based on their prices for aircraft kits and AFV's. That would be fine! But will we get a Wingnut style instruction sheet? And what about decals where Wingnut would have given us markings for 5 alternatives? All very interesting!!

I think WNW set the bar with instructions. But maybe they bought the intellectual property?

One thing that annoys me about WNW instructions: I have to repeatedly go back the the page with the color callouts. Zoukei-Mura's instructions are nearly equal to WNW's, and each page lists all colors required on the steps addressed on the page. A nice touch in my book!

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2020, 02:18:14 PM »
Just to ramp up the intrigue surrounding Meng and their tooling work for Wingnut Wings, I understand that as well as the 1/32 Fokker Dr.1, Meng were also doing the tooling for a Wingnuts 1/24th scale Fokker Dr.1.

Yes, it seems Wingnuts had plans to launch a whole new range of 1/24th scale kits. As well as the Fokker Dr.1, the line was intended to include a Sopwith Camel and Albatros D.V/a. If only….

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2020, 03:33:36 PM »
You are very well informed Dave  ;)
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2020, 03:57:52 PM »
Just to ramp up the intrigue surrounding Meng and their tooling work for Wingnut Wings, I understand that as well as the 1/32 Fokker Dr.1, Meng were also doing the tooling for a Wingnuts 1/24th scale Fokker Dr.1.

Yes, it seems Wingnuts had plans to launch a whole new range of 1/24th scale kits. As well as the Fokker Dr.1, the line was intended to include a Sopwith Camel and Albatros D.V/a. If only….

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
doesn't trigger any fomo in me, i'm sticking to 1/32... so i'm a bit relieved. one less thing to cry myself to sleep over.

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2020, 04:59:31 PM »
I wonder how much a Meng Dr.I will cost? I imagine a Wingnut kit would have cost $79/£79 and the Roden Dr.1 costs £55.The CSM Nieuports retail at £67 so where will Meng be? Especially as this kit is going to include all of the bits in one box? I'm guessing between £50 and £65 based on their prices for aircraft kits and AFV's. That would be fine! But will we get a Wingnut style instruction sheet? And what about decals where Wingnut would have given us markings for 5 alternatives? All very interesting!!

I think WNW set the bar with instructions. But maybe they bought the intellectual property?

One thing that annoys me about WNW instructions: I have to repeatedly go back the the page with the color callouts. Zoukei-Mura's instructions are nearly equal to WNW's, and each page lists all colors required on the steps addressed on the page. A nice touch in my book!

True that- I was thinking more of the research photos etc. I haven’t tried a ZM kit yet, they do look delicious!
‘Not all who wander are lost‘

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2020, 05:05:32 PM »

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

Gosh. Dr1 etc, maybe, as long as it was nothing bigger than that!
Oh well. The only thing I’d like to have seen in addition was a Red Baron crash scene, like in the Omaka museum, with him laid out and AIF souveniring
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 05:14:59 PM by Pup7309 »
‘Not all who wander are lost‘

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #66 on: June 19, 2020, 08:24:13 PM »
Hi all,
Has anyone noticed the box art serial number for the kit?
'Quetzalcoatlus Series QS-002'

Strange naming covention - a pterosaur from the late Cretaceous period.
But what got my attention is that this kit is the first by MENG, so why serial number 002?
Could there be a 001?

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline macsporran

« Reply #67 on: June 19, 2020, 08:25:58 PM »

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

Fascinating stuff, Dave.
Unfortunately it's almost a perfect lesson in how not to run a financially viable company IMHO.
Millions going out the door on future projects, while many of your most popular lines are sold out so far less money coming in than could have been available.
They built a gold standard brand image - comparable with Apple - with a similar brand loyalty, but insisted on a limited edition policy and omitted so many products (Dr.1, SPAD etc) that the customers really wanted
I love the whole WNW ethos and will miss them immensely, while regretting what could have been achieved had all PJ's millions been invested with a better business plan.

Offline MarkyMark62

« Reply #68 on: June 19, 2020, 08:29:52 PM »
Forgive me if I you have already seen them but there now appear to be some sprue shots of the DR.1 on Mengs Facebook page. Look pretty much like WnW moldings to me.
I'll be getting one whatever.
Cheers, Mark

Offline SimonCornes

« Reply #69 on: June 19, 2020, 09:02:24 PM »
Hi all,
Has anyone noticed the box art serial number for the kit?
'Quetzalcoatlus Series QS-002'

Strange naming covention - a pterosaur from the late Cretaceous period.
But what got my attention is that this kit is the first by MENG, so why serial number 002?
Could there be a 001?

Mike

Meng's 001 kit is the Me-163 Comet. Their only other release in 1/32 to date. I checked on the Hannants website.

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: June 19, 2020, 09:51:19 PM »
Meng has uploaded more images of its forthcoming 1/32 scale Fokker Dr.1 kit on its Facebook page.

No release date is announced but the kit was virtually ready for release in its Wingnut Wings incarnation.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Beto

« Reply #71 on: June 19, 2020, 10:16:25 PM »
I hope they still have time to correct the PE Spandau jacket. If they can't... there are many aftermarket alternatives.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #72 on: June 19, 2020, 10:19:35 PM »
Boy, I get distracted by other shiny things and all this happens!! If its all above board I'm in!

Steve

Offline RichieW

« Reply #73 on: June 19, 2020, 10:23:09 PM »
Those moldings look beautiful.

Offline eclarson

« Reply #74 on: June 19, 2020, 11:40:14 PM »
I hope they still have time to correct the PE Spandau jacket. If they can't... there are many aftermarket alternatives.

Oddly, the Spandau jackets seen in Meng's CAD image of the complete model look correct.  But you're right about alternatives.  Master Model Spandaus are superb.

Eric