Author Topic: Meng announces a 1/32 scale Fokker DR.1  (Read 40366 times)

Offline Vickers

Re: Meng announces a 1/32 scale Fokker DR.1
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2020, 08:19:57 AM »
Wow, that post got all weird. I tried to quote Bob's Buckles and it looks like I quoted myself. LOL
Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."

Offline Vickers

« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2020, 08:21:56 AM »
Their 5 color lozenge didn;t look right...  but there isn't any on the Dr.I.

No Loz?? What?? You haven’t seen The Blue Max??? ;)

To me, the best news is that Rowan, Sabine, & Co. have an incentive to complete new 1/32 Dr.I sheets.

Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."

Offline RichieW

« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2020, 08:42:04 AM »
I wonder how much a Meng Dr.I will cost? I imagine a Wingnut kit would have cost $79/£79 and the Roden Dr.1 costs £55.The CSM Nieuports retail at £67 so where will Meng be? Especially as this kit is going to include all of the bits in one box? I'm guessing between £50 and £65 based on their prices for aircraft kits and AFV's. That would be fine! But will we get a Wingnut style instruction sheet? And what about decals where Wingnut would have given us markings for 5 alternatives? All very interesting!!

I am thinking it will be around the US$65 mark. The instructions will be interesting to see, if they have used what was/has been laid out by WNW or go with their own style. The box states there are 3 decal schemes.

Was it perhaps Trumpeter that did the Lancaster tooling?

I'm hoping Meng did the tooling for some of the engines. Particularly the Le Rhone 9c. I don't  fancy the prospect of trying to scratch build one for my intended next project

Offline Dave J

« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2020, 09:05:24 AM »
Great news, very intriguing too. I will be one the many buying one of these.

I can't help but wonder if Meng will be releasing a 1/32 Lancaster soon too.  ;)

That I don't think will happen. That was at another tooling company along with 1/32 HP's. But you may never know, I didn't expect this one coming!

I wonder how many others were tooled by Meng - and which ones...

As far as I recall there was one other kit with Meng that has not been announced. Everything else has been released or near release (Dr.1)
Dave Johnson
Wellington, New Zealand

Former Wingnut Wings Dungeon Master, Sales & Logistics Manager

Offline Dave J

« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2020, 09:06:38 AM »
I wonder how much a Meng Dr.I will cost? I imagine a Wingnut kit would have cost $79/£79 and the Roden Dr.1 costs £55.The CSM Nieuports retail at £67 so where will Meng be? Especially as this kit is going to include all of the bits in one box? I'm guessing between £50 and £65 based on their prices for aircraft kits and AFV's. That would be fine! But will we get a Wingnut style instruction sheet? And what about decals where Wingnut would have given us markings for 5 alternatives? All very interesting!!

I am thinking it will be around the US$65 mark. The instructions will be interesting to see, if they have used what was/has been laid out by WNW or go with their own style. The box states there are 3 decal schemes.

Was it perhaps Trumpeter that did the Lancaster tooling?

I'm hoping Meng did the tooling for some of the engines. Particularly the Le Rhone 9c. I don't  fancy the prospect of trying to scratch build one for my intended next project

There was no Trumpeter factories used, so I highly doubt that you will see an ex-WNW Lanc in a Trumpeter box.

Dave Johnson
Wellington, New Zealand

Offline Beto

« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2020, 11:12:56 AM »
I have found a detail both in Meng and WNW's renderings that convinced me about it being the same model: The doubled stacking bumps in the leading edge of the wings. Early and late DR.1s had them in different positions, so you will have to sand off the outboard or inboard ones... but that's an easy to forget detail when designing a model. Also the non standard installation of the flare pistol is the same in both models. But the WNW model has a wing mounted anemometer not featured in Meng's render. Anyway there are too many frequently overlooked details that are the same to think they are different designs.

Dekenba1

« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2020, 11:38:30 AM »
I hope it's legit. If not, no DR.1 for me.

vB

Would you not base your decision upon the quality & pricing of the Meng kit, rather than whether it was a previous WNW mould?

That all depends on how the moulds came to Meng. If there is a deal between WNW and Meng, I will happily add the DR.1 to the stash. I will leave the other scenarios at the door.
Let's wait and see where this goes.

vB  :)

To be honest, I never even thought of that.

That would surprise me greatly. After all, WNW had such good relations with its suppliers that we never knew a model was even being developed. That is made through strong personal relationships, which I believe Meng has utilised to take over the moulds.

Far more likely than being blatantly purloined.

Offline Dave J

« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2020, 11:44:18 AM »
I hope it's legit. If not, no DR.1 for me.

vB

Would you not base your decision upon the quality & pricing of the Meng kit, rather than whether it was a previous WNW mould?

That all depends on how the moulds came to Meng. If there is a deal between WNW and Meng, I will happily add the DR.1 to the stash. I will leave the other scenarios at the door.
Let's wait and see where this goes.

vB  :)

To be honest, I never even thought of that.

That would surprise me greatly. After all, WNW had such good relations with its suppliers that we never knew a model was even being developed. That is made through strong personal relationships, which I believe Meng has utilised to take over the moulds.

Far more likely than being blatantly purloined.

I would like to hope there was some deal arranged and nothing fishy has happened. I don't think that latter would be the case, but I have seen companies in the past recoup costs on items. Maybe the owners abandoned them, and they are recouping costs. But I don't think that is the case here.

I am just looking forward to seeing them released, I know I will be getting 2 or 6 :o of them!
Dave Johnson
Wellington, New Zealand

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2020, 11:48:47 AM »
Wow I didn’t check for a day and saw this, 4 pages can’t wait to read it right now!
‘Not all who wander are lost‘

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2020, 11:57:18 AM »
Have to agree with multiple variations in same box. There were only 3 things that grated me about WNW this, only able to pay in USD and thin mail boxing. But there were probably 97 things they did right including unequaled research and quality
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 12:18:33 PM by Pup7309 »

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2020, 12:04:25 PM »

I think WNW set the bar with instructions. But maybe they bought the intellectual property?

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2020, 12:11:52 PM »
I'd be shocked if this were anything other than the WNW kit.

Just makes no sense otherwise, unless you believe in coincidences.

The Roden kits are available at around £25-£30. They will still offer great value for money, even if this trump's them technically.

Pricing will be interesting. How close to $79 will it be!?

Had a quick look at LSP, and it continues to treat WNW as some kind of nasty, to be avoided virus. Very, very odd. I used to enjoy it there, but no longer -  Some time ago I was encouraged by a moderator to go elsewhere to discuss WNW & it's demise.....

No idea seems strange Wingnuts would close with a money maker ready to go.

From personal experience your comments re:Large Scale Planes are spot on

Maybe Meng or someone will announce the next money maker people want, a SPAD?

It would be nice to see the Handley Page come out maybe with 2 both variants in the same box?

Maybe the Lancs will come as a movie tie in as mentioned by another member.

If this is the WNW kit I’m ready to put a deposit on a few now. If it’s a Meng I’ll wait for comparisons with the Roden

Cheers!

Potentially awesome news Dave! Thankyou times 1000
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 12:24:27 PM by Pup7309 »

Online Gene K

« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2020, 12:27:23 PM »
I have found a detail both in Meng and WNW's renderings that convinced me about it being the same model ...

For a wistful comparison - an early Ming CAD to an early WNW test shot .The WNW shots were taken at the 2019 IPMS USA Nationals.

Not much to contrast since a Dr.1 is a Dr.1, but the Meng rib treatment in the CAD stands out as not very good. I assume that will be fixed in the final run.

The Meng announcement, WNW molds or not, is so right!

Gene K

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2020, 01:05:04 PM »
Scalemates seems to think it's the WNW kit.  Note the timeline.

Of course Scalemates could just be expressing wishful thinking too!   :D

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/meng-qs-002-fokker-dri-triplane--1291609#

Eric
scalemates knows exactly as much as the modelling community. it's basically a wiki, we edit it. that said, ex-Wingnuts people saying a) Meng did the tooling and b) it looks like theirs sure got my attention.

if they are the WNW molds i doubt we'll find out how the molds landed at Meng.

Offline Dave J

« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2020, 01:20:43 PM »
Scalemates seems to think it's the WNW kit.  Note the timeline.

Of course Scalemates could just be expressing wishful thinking too!   :D

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/meng-qs-002-fokker-dri-triplane--1291609#

Eric
scalemates knows exactly as much as the modelling community. it's basically a wiki, we edit it. that said, ex-Wingnuts people saying a) Meng did the tooling and b) it looks like theirs sure got my attention.

if they are the WNW molds i doubt we'll find out how the molds landed at Meng.

The molds were already at Meng. They were the tooling factory for this project.
Dave Johnson
Wellington, New Zealand