Author Topic: Forum in depth critique of Meng Fokker Dr.1  (Read 8210 times)

Offline Pup7309

Re: Forum in depth critique of Meng Fokker Dr.1
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2020, 06:38:06 PM »
Yup , they steal a forums energy robbing it of it's richness and that's sadist part when a community gets destroyed.

Hmmmm and WOW ... guess I need to read more closely because  I haven't noted any actual nit-picking or negative comments here about the fine review or the kit. But there sure is a lot of piling-on negativity from folks complaining in general about what they perceive are other people's intentions in voicing their observations and opinions.  That drama is "destroying" this thread for me.

Gene K

I was honestly thinking the same thing.  I haven't seen any complaining other than people here complaining about other people complaining somewhere else.  Also I don't understand why the wing warp is a big deal.  Seems like five min to fix for anyone who has a modicum of skills.....I bet I can bend that plastic with my bare hands.  I'm gonna give it the old college try!

I’ve never tried it but if people can bend spoons plastic wings shouldn’t be too hard, same principle I guess heat + pressure and hold  it in position until it re sets. Or maybe it works without heat? Tell us how you go! :D
‘Not all who wander are lost‘

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2020, 08:34:57 PM »
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 08:41:51 PM by bobs_buckles »

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline zavod44

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2020, 01:56:37 PM »
Okay, I started working on the kit and first think I did was cut the wings off the sprues and got to it.  I literally bent the wings back into shape in less than five min with my bare hands.  No torches, no heat, no flames, no cauldrons of boiling water, no boiling pots of oil, no machine ground aluminum plates.  Just my mitts and a small amount of pressure.  I would say the term, much ado about nothing comes to mind........

Offline mgunns

« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2020, 02:10:08 AM »

That Bob Dufresne!  Him Beaucoup smart man! ;)
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline Russell Niles

« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2020, 06:08:54 AM »
Hi guys. Just got through reading all of the comments made regarding this new DR1 kit. All I have to say is, thank you Meng for providing us with this new kit.
Mine is still en-route, having at last been accepted by USPS. However no idea when it will dock, land or appear.
Lastly, have any of you that have both the Mengnut and the Roden kits, looked to see if the cowling in the Mengnut kit will fit on the Roden fuselage. Seems with the abundance of kit cowlings they gave us, that that error by Roden could easily and relatively more affordable be resolved.

Thanks for any replies

Russ

Offline Dwaynewilly

« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2020, 05:53:27 PM »
The WNW Albatros D.V kits are notorious for a warped upper wing. The occasional wrestling match with plastic is just a modeling fact of life. I don't know if the WNW's production people had a say about the readiness of the tooling but I kinda doubt it. It's a 1/32 Fokker Dr.I kit. If you keep in mind that nothing is perfect, build it and have fun. I'm sure it won't look like a pogo stick when it's done, although in my case you never know.

Dwayne

Offline Nigrivender

• Do wrong and it will be good
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2020, 05:56:12 AM »
If something can't be repaired it means it's not broken

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2020, 09:29:58 AM »

New Fokker DR.1, Meng has competition  ;D
https://www.bnamodelworld.com/model-planes-suyata-su-sk-001-fokker-dr-i-q-plane-red-baron-cartoon-figure-size-70mm-x-35mm?zenid=d6163e986a8c849c00e2de73037b1213

PS
I gave this shop because details can be seen :D

What an odd thing... never could quite understand the appeal of these 'egg' planes...

Offline smperry

« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2020, 10:29:21 AM »
" never could quite understand the appeal of these 'egg' planes..."

I never understood why no loud complaints from chickens, I know I'd be offended if I laid eggs.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline yaggo

« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2020, 07:46:16 PM »
" never could quite understand the appeal of these 'egg' planes..."

I never understood why no loud complaints from chickens, I know I'd be offended if I laid eggs.
sp
:) :)

But i do like this one, the figure reminds me a little of Michael Schumacher.

yaggo

Offline Europapete

« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2020, 11:10:37 PM »
LOL, that's awesome! wonder if I can get the figure separately and pose it with the Gotha UWD.

Offline Dave in Dubai

• Beyond the blue horizon
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2020, 12:21:57 AM »
Ha ha ha....

Well if it is cartoon Red Baron’s you are after...

Offline oldalbie

« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2020, 03:39:22 AM »
I got 2 of the Meng triplanes last week, but there is one thing that I don't quite understand.  The front part of the cockpit coaming is attached to the middle wing.  On one of them the coaming was broken off but on the other it wasn't.  Why they just didn't make the coaming part of the fuselage side I don't know.
I think this is a common thing on this model.  Although it doesn't look difficult to fix it's still a bit aggravating.  Otherwise there is a great deal to like about this model.  You can make from 101/17 through Voss' 103/17 plus any later model.  I'm sure there will be many 1/32 decals coming to satisfy everyone.

Offline Vickers

« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2020, 05:39:53 AM »
[quote author=Russell Niles link=topic=11457.msg213757#msg213757 date=1598904534}
Lastly, have any of you that have both the Mengnut and the Roden kits, looked to see if the cowling in the Mengnut kit will fit on the Roden fuselage. Seems with the abundance of kit cowlings they gave us, that that error by Roden could easily and relatively more affordable be resolved.

Thanks for any replies

Russ
[/quote]

Hey Russ,

I was wondering the same thing and IF memory serves, the forward fuselage on the Roden is about 2.0mm too narrow at the front of the upper deck on top. Fixing that may take care of what I'm about to write next...

I just did a test fit of the Roden firewall and fuselages halves with one of the Meng cowlings. The Meng cowl is just about 1.5mm larger in diameter than the Roden firewall. However, the Meng cowling is also very thin along that edge. It looks like one could run some 1mm strip to partially fill in the rather large circumferential mating notch on the Roden firewall, then marry the two. The mismatch is most apparent at the points where the lower cowl meets the firewall on either side. It doesn't look like too much trouble as long as you don't compress the lower sides of the cowling so much that it looks pinched. I expect that the fuselage fix for the Roden kit might result in a real decent fit for the Meng part, but we won't know until someone tries and for my bench that'll be a while yet.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 05:47:38 AM by Vickers »
Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."