Author Topic: Old vs. New- Revell and Eduard Fokker D.VIIs in 1/72  (Read 3278 times)

Offline Danh4

Old vs. New- Revell and Eduard Fokker D.VIIs in 1/72
« on: June 16, 2020, 11:58:07 PM »
Not too long ago I built the new Eduard Fokker D.VII and enjoyed it so much that I immediately bought another kit and some Aviattic lozenge decals to improve the only real shortcoming in the kit.  Ever mindful of my growing stash, I thought I should build some of the Revell and Roden D.VIIs I had before diving into the new Eduard again.  Then I had the bright idea to build the old (1964!) Revell kit alongside Eduard's and see if it could be improved upon enough to stand alongside the newer model.

The Revell kit provides just a shelf for a pilot figure to perch on for a cockpit and a simplified engine top/exhaust header up front.  Other than that it is not too bad considering its age.  I wanted to add a complete cockpit and engine to bring it up to par and found that the Eduard cockpit parts could be used to make patterns for new parts made from sheet plastic.  I also scrounged a PE seat, rudder bar and control column to use.  I also used an extra engine from a Roden kit, but had to scratch together the rocker arms to go on top.  A bit of cutting had to be done on the Revell fuselage to open up the area for the guns and especially to shoehorn the engine in.  I used an extra engine mounting plate from the Eduard kit to locate the Roden engine.  The internal dimensions between the Eduard and Revell kit are nearly identical.  Note that the Revell kit is the one in white plastic...

Both kits went together pretty quickly once the internals were in place...

I planned to use two of the other markings schemes supplied on the Eduard decal sheet this time, but used Aviattic's excellent lozenge decals made specifically to fit the Eduard kit for both.  I found that they fit the Revell kit with very little trouble.  I used a spare set of guns from the Eduard kit for the Revell as well as an extra exhaust header, wheels and prop.

Here are the finished kits.  There's not much to tell them apart other than Revell's slightly thicker wing struts!  (the black one is the Revell kit)

Thanks for looking!

-Dan

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
Re: Old vs. New- Revell and Eduard Fokker D.VIIs in 1/72
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2020, 01:07:09 AM »
They both look very good, Dan.  Can't really tell them apart.  I expect using a few Eduard parts on the Revell did improve it, though.
Nice results!

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 03:46:32 AM »
Super cool comparison, Dan! I've built both with similar results but not as nice as yours...similar...!!  ::)

Nice additions too.  Lovely work as usual.

WCDan

Offline Monty

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2020, 04:07:47 AM »
Wow! Lovely results Dan! And that old Revell kit scrubs up very well! Stunning colour schemes you chose too... Regards, Marc

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2020, 05:01:29 AM »
Two very outstanding builds! It is amazing how one quickly loses track of the differences once detailed and painted! Stunning work all around!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2020, 08:00:24 AM »
What a great idea to build the Revell and Eduard D.VII kits in parallel and your completed models look terrific Dan.

Interesting to see that with clever updating and cross kitting the old Revell kit from the 60s still holds its head up beside modern kits. Those Revell WW1 kits from the 60s were absolute classics, the SE5a being my favourite.

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Online Rip Van Winkle

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2020, 03:36:12 AM »
Wonderful job!  I've done the same  with the Roden and Revell Albatros D.III.  That way I can improve on the Revell kit as I desire.  I built the Revell Fokker D.VII along with the Roden kit some time ago.  Currently I have a Revell SE5a and Roden SE5a almost finished. The extra Eduard  and Roden parts can provide some interesting kit bashing with the Revell kits. Aftermarket parts can also help. Please do more!

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2020, 09:47:37 AM »
Both are done very well , hard to tell the two apart .  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Danh4

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2020, 11:11:03 AM »
They both look very good, Dan.  Can't really tell them apart.  I expect using a few Eduard parts on the Revell did improve it, though.
Nice results!

Thanks Ken!  The Eduard kit is a treasure trove of spare parts.  There must be 6 pairs of wheels leftover, extra guns, props, every style of radiator face, tons of stuff for the parts box!

Dan

Offline Danh4

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2020, 11:14:57 AM »
Super cool comparison, Dan! I've built both with similar results but not as nice as yours...similar...!!  ::)

Nice additions too.  Lovely work as usual.

WCDan
Dan

Thanks Dan! I have to admit that I didn't expect the Revell kit to build up as nicely as it did so it was fun to keep pushing it along.

ECDan

Offline Danh4

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2020, 11:18:54 AM »
Wow! Lovely results Dan! And that old Revell kit scrubs up very well! Stunning colour schemes you chose too... Regards, Marc

Thanks Marc!

Offline Danh4

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2020, 11:25:12 AM »
Two very outstanding builds! It is amazing how one quickly loses track of the differences once detailed and painted! Stunning work all around!
RAGIII

I think the gaudy paint schemes tend to hide a lot of the differences which helps the old Revell  kit.

Offline Danh4

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2020, 11:28:17 AM »
What a great idea to build the Revell and Eduard D.VII kits in parallel and your completed models look terrific Dan.

Interesting to see that with clever updating and cross kitting the old Revell kit from the 60s still holds its head up beside modern kits. Those Revell WW1 kits from the 60s were absolute classics, the SE5a being my favourite.

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

You're right about that old SE5a kit, I've built both it and the Roden kit and it held its own.

Offline Danh4

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2020, 11:52:21 AM »
Wonderful job!  I've done the same  with the Roden and Revell Albatros D.III.  That way I can improve on the Revell kit as I desire.  I built the Revell Fokker D.VII along with the Roden kit some time ago.  Currently I have a Revell SE5a and Roden SE5a almost finished. The extra Eduard  and Roden parts can provide some interesting kit bashing with the Revell kits. Aftermarket parts can also help. Please do more!

I've been thinking about what I could do for another "old vs. new" project, need to poke around in the stash to see what I  have.  I've got a lot of Roden D.VIIs but I like your idea with the Albatros kits, I might have to copy you on that one!

Dan

Offline Danh4

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2020, 11:53:52 AM »
Both are done very well , hard to tell the two apart .  :)

Terri

Thanks!