Author Topic: If Roden resume production of new WW1 kits, what subjects would you buy?  (Read 35357 times)

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
With the unexpected closure of Wingnut Wings there's considerable concern in our hobby that production of new WW1 subjects could now decline.

Our forum friends Roden of the Ukraine were market leaders for WW1 subjects long before Wingnuts appeared and their catalogue of 1/72, 1/48 and 1/32 scale kits are constantly in production. However after the arrival of WnW Roden stepped back from new WW1 kit subjects.

Now they are showing interest in returning to the WW1 genre and Roden have advised me it's quite possible they will now resume their WW1 kit range.

So let's help them with a Forum poll of the WW1 kits you would like Roden to produce, and most importantly, the kits you would buy. Wish list polls are useful to manufacturers to gauge potential sales so here's a chance for Forum members to help Roden decide if they want to resume their WW1 production.

Please indicate the WW1 subjects you would like to see (buy) and your preferred scale(s). Seeing as this is a non-binding poll it's okay to nominate the same subject across two or three scales.

I will convey the responses to Roden and let's hope our membership can help influence a whole new era in WW1 model kits.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline hiddeous1973

• Don't worry, Baldrick has a cunning plan !!
I would love to see:
Hansa Brandenberg D.I
Aviatik D.I or anything else from Austria-Hungary
Morane Salnier type N

in 1/48 or 1/32, makes no differance to me.

Offline Radarman

My wants:
1/72 - Neuport 28 C.1

1/48 - Junkers J.1 or CL.1
          Sopwith Pup

1/32 - Spad XIII C.1
          Hanriot HD.1

I can only hope,
                Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Dekenba1

Anything at all in 1/32.

Offline smperry

In 1:32 scale preferable, but I would buy any of these in any scale.

American DH.4 Liberty Plane   (including USMC markings)
Curtiss JN.4
Standard J
The above 3 with extra parts on the sprues and decals to make post war barnstormers as well as wartime trainers.

Curtiss N.9h
Dorand AR (Including US markings)
Caproni Ca.3 (Including extra parts and markings for La Guardia's machine)
Be.2c

Over and above new subjects, I would like to see Roden take some lessons from WnW to heart and offer better instructions including more references and better painting info, sturdier boxing, (My Roden 1/32 Sop Tripe arrived with broken pieces) and better decals. Not that I haven't seen much worse, but Roden surely has room for improvement in all these areas.

Well, ya asked what I wanted....
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline RichardF

1/48:
Sopwith Pup
Albatros C.VII/C.X
Martinsyde Elephant

1/32:
Hanriot HD.1
Sopwith 11/2 Strutter
Halberstadt D.II

Offline Borsos

These are great news.
I would be happy if they would upscale their 1:48 Be2c to 1:32. The same would be really welcome with their Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter.
I would buy anything they release WWI in 1:32, but a Halberstadt D. II, a Morane Saulnier BB and/or P, a Farman, Voisin or Caudron would be most welcome.

Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Dave Brewer

In 1/32:Halberstadt DII,Be2c,DH5,Hanriot and anything else French or Austro-Hungarian.

Offline macsporran

What welcome news. Although they've had some poor responses from some of our members, I've got all the 1/32 kits and am perfectly happy with them, seeing no need for the WNW Dr.I for example. For sure some of their lozenge decals are poor, but so are some of WNW.
Maybe we'll appreciate our old friends again if they step back into the breach.
It would be good if they upscaled their 1/48 two seaters and might be a relatively easy way in.
However if they start with single seaters, howz about an Albatros W.4 and a SPAD XIII. That would continue their existing Alb and SPAD lines, then maybe a Hanriot?

Offline GazzaS

I don't see this as much of an opportunity to ask for the weird or unusual.  And I won't rig anything smaller than 1/32.

So, here is stuff I would buy from Roden:

Fokker Dr. I and D.VII and D.VIII

Albatros D.II, D.III, And D.V/Va

Pfalz D.III and D.IIIa

Nieuport 11 and 17

Spad 7 and 13

Sopwith Camel, and Triplane

Fe2B, and DH2

Se 5A

Oeffag 253
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
Reissue all of the 1/32 kits they have already produced would be a great start!

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
Hi Dave - glad you put this one up  ;D  As a 1/72 and 1/48 scale guy, I would very much welcome and be excited by any release in these scales. Roden's moulding technology has come a long way from the early 2000's when they first made their mark.

There are many esoteric choices I could put forward, and would dearly love to see, but I am a bit too much of a realist to suggest them. Many probably wouldn't be popular enough to see a decent return. For Roden, I would think that there would need to be a decent chance for a well-selling subject to help lure them back into the WW1 realm. They would be well served in not repeating subjects already kitted by other manufacturers like WNW or CSM. Some preferences / suggestions from me:

1/72:
- R.E.8 - the 50s airfix kit is in need of replacement.
- I second a new Nieuport 28 - having built the old Revell kit, we're in dire need of an update. Some nice USAS colour choices here too.
- Sopwith Pup - we have the HR kit and old airfix kit - the former is hard to get hold of and the latter is rather old and inaccurate - lots of colour choices here; it would make a popular subject, I think.
- Roland C.II - the old airfix kit is ancient and inaccurate. I think this would be popular given relatively simple layout and interesting markings.
- Hannover CL.III - as above.

1/48:
- Sopwith pup (there seems to be some ground swell for this from what I can see above...) - the Eduard kit is old and in dire need of a refresh. The Aeroclub kit is hard to come by. I think this could be quite popular if offered with standard and Whitehead cowls. Again, many paint options!
- R.E.8 - the old Aeroclub kit is in dire need of a modern update - the RE8 would probably be a popular two seater.
- Finish off their plans from way back when for a BE2e!
- Avro 504 - plenty of interesting schemes here.
- DH9a... ok that's probably asking too much :)
- A Halberstalt D model - Eduard promised us a D.V way back when and it never materialised. The old Blue Max kit is nice but needs lots of work.
- Maybe a new Hannover CL.III, Rumpler, Albatros or LVG German two seater; these seemed to be popular in the larger scale and would be a nice counter in Roden's catalogue to their British two-seaters.

I would be a very happy chap if any of these made it to fruition.

I am sure i'll think of more as the red wine sets in.... :D

Cheers,

BC
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 07:56:40 PM by Brad Cancian »

Offline Dave J

For me, it would have to be 32nd... I would like to see them update some tooling on the older kits or redo them like the Dr.1 and Early Albatross. Or maybe some new SPADS

I don't think it's a wise move at this stage in looking at the subjects that have been kitted by WNW... Some of these kits will be around for a while.
Dave Johnson
Wellington, New Zealand

Former Wingnut Wings Dungeon Master, Sales & Logistics Manager

Offline Monty

Wow! Easy answer to your question: I'll buy anything they produce! I am a fan of their models, I think they can be tarted up with little effort and look spectacular... But as they asked, here are a few subjects that really need doing:

1/72; Nieuport 24/27, Nieuport 28, Curtiss Jenny, New Roland would be nice... single seat or two seat!

1/48; Avro 504, Aviatik D1 (or Anything Austro-Hungarian! Albatrosses too please!), Sopwith Pup

1/32 Hanriot HD1, Sopwith 1 and a half Strutter (lots of options!), Halberstadt DII, DH 5, DH 4, Nieuport 10/11, Curtiss Jenny, Avro 504, Bleriot XI, FE 8, and a lot more will come to mind as I celebrate with a Heineken...

Happy Modelling days...

Marc

Offline James

All 1/32 -

Friedrichshafen G.III
Friedrichshafen 33
Farmen
Voisin
Nieuport 11
Hanriot HD.1
Any Austro-Hungarian Aircraft
Axes Grind and Maces Clash