Author Topic: Please help with this Fokker  (Read 4559 times)

Offline GazzaS

Re: Please help with this Fokker
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2020, 12:02:45 PM »
  So how many of you vote for green and white tail stripes?  How many approve of yellow fuselage section with black bands and black squares edged in white?

Hahaha....   this isn't up for a vote.  I'm going with one of my two historical choices and it looks more like Thuringia every time I look at the photo.

I think that the Jasta 54 tail stripes & black and yellow fuselage motif fall well within the greyscale contrasts. However, any dark cool color or even a vivid red or dark earth tone could be on the darker stripes on the fuselage. As for the diamonds... it appears to be anyone's guess, but the outline is a pretty good match for the white borders on the fuselage insignia. If it were up to me, I'd paint the tail in green and white and the fuselage markings in dark blue (or black) and yellow with red diamonds. Just because I think it would look awesome.

I spent like four hours yesterday looking at German Heraldry, and or reading about it if I could find helpful links to real peoples names...there weren't many of those.

My original intention, made last year was from the town of Burbach.  See the crest below:

However, the blue is very light.  Not a Prussian or French blue, so it would be too light for the dark stripes, but too dark for the light stripes.

I had also been leaning toward Lengefeld (Anrode)  Crest below:

But have since discovered that this wappen was granted in 1994 when the locality was created and named after a cloister in the area.

And then there are a lot of others....  White diamonds.  Red Diamonds.  Blue Diamonds.

But neither white nor medium blues work.  So...  In frustration I lean a lot closer to either black diamonds with red and yellow stripes.  Or Red Diamonds and red and yellow stripes.

So, that;s where my head is now.

There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2020, 01:40:10 PM »
Ding Ding Ding...  We have a winner.  Or at least we have something acceptable to me that will make all of these hours of research worthwhile.

The Arms of Leisnig:

The colors of the arms are black, gold, and red.

So, I'm looking at Black diamonds outlined in white with black and yellow stripes.

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2020, 06:57:45 PM »
So, three questions down.  Here is the fourth and hopefully final:

What is this light and dark blob?  Blown up, it looks almost three dimensional.  It looks kind of low to be a flare port.  A burn mark?

Anybody have an idea?

Gaz

Offline Vickers

« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2020, 02:14:33 AM »
Yep, I saw that too and having no idea whether it was a stain or an artifact in the film I decided not to comment on it. I doubt whether it was some sort of simple personal marking because it's an awkward location and partially obscures the weight table stencil. It could be a case where something nasty got splattered onto the aircraft and someone made it even worse by trying to wipe it off.
Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2020, 10:44:34 AM »
Yep, I saw that too and having no idea whether it was a stain or an artifact in the film I decided not to comment on it. I doubt whether it was some sort of simple personal marking because it's an awkward location and partially obscures the weight table stencil. It could be a case where something nasty got splattered onto the aircraft and someone made it even worse by trying to wipe it off.

I hadn't considered an artifact in the film...  I'll go with that!  Thank you!

Gaz

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2020, 10:34:57 AM »
One more question has just been raised. 

As has been noted by an expert, the port side cowl pieces have been replaced with OAW cowl pieces.

There are various possible reasons.  1.  Battle damage?   2.  Replacement by newer cowls which have better louvres for cooling?  3.  Or was the plane 'completed' with parts from another plane so that it could be delivered to the Allies as per the Armistice turns.

If I choose option number 1, I only replace the port side pieces.

Option two makes some sense after all that I have read in the past due to cooling problems.

Number 3 is an easy possibility.

Fortunately I have enough parts from the Goering kit to make the pieces look like OAW parts.

Does anyone have any other opinions?