Author Topic: Please help with this Fokker  (Read 4563 times)

Offline Berman

Re: Please help with this Fokker
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2020, 07:05:45 PM »
The Electorate of Saxony colors were yellow and black. The colors of the Kingdom of Saxony were green and white. Saxon army regiments flag was composed of red, white, and black triangles grouped into a square (same colors as Imperial German flag).
 So here is my best guess as I think panchromatic film was used for this photo as the red forward fuselage of the Jasta 18 Fokker in the background did not photograph as extremely dark. Green and white striped horizontal stabilizer. Yellow (photographed as grey) and black fuselage stripes. Black diamonds with thin white edging. The outer thin fuselage stripes are not as dark as the cross marking so could be red. White vertical stabilizer and rudder.

Offline Vickers

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2020, 01:51:35 AM »
If indeed the D.VII in the background is one of the "ravens", then further comparison suggests that diamonds could've been red edged in white over the conjectural black & yellow stripes of the Electorate of Saxony. Although red tends to be the darkest and most intense of the warm colors, the diamonds could easily have been any cool color or Earth tone of similar value and intensity.
Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."

Offline Berman

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2020, 02:24:10 AM »
    It is all conjectural but red diamonds would look better than black diamonds on a model. We will never know all the colors of this personal marking unless a written report or artist's painting is discovered.
     A further thought. Diamonds on playing cards are red. There are groups of three diamonds. Does the three of diamonds (playing card) or just three diamonds have any significance in the German military or culture?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 02:32:53 AM by Berman »

Offline Vickers

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2020, 04:13:41 AM »
My biggest concern is yellow.  One of the colors of the bands is yellow.  But is this orthochromatic film?  Is the dark area yellow, or is it the light area.  I can't really decide.  Coin toss?[/quote]

Assuming that the thin edge trim boxing in the motif on the fuselage side is black, then if black and yellow then I think the lighter bands must be the yellow bits.

Offline Vickers

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2020, 04:14:54 AM »

[/quote]My biggest concern is yellow.  One of the colors of the bands is yellow.  But is this orthochromatic film?  Is the dark area yellow, or is it the light area.  I can't really decide.  Coin toss?[/quote]

Assuming that the thin edge trim boxing in the motif on the fuselage side is black, then if black and yellow then I think the lighter bands must be the yellow bits.

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2020, 09:04:40 AM »
The Electorate of Saxony colors were yellow and black. The colors of the Kingdom of Saxony were green and white. Saxon army regiments flag was composed of red, white, and black triangles grouped into a square (same colors as Imperial German flag).
 So here is my best guess as I think panchromatic film was used for this photo as the red forward fuselage of the Jasta 18 Fokker in the background did not photograph as extremely dark. Green and white striped horizontal stabilizer. Yellow (photographed as grey) and black fuselage stripes. Black diamonds with thin white edging. The outer thin fuselage stripes are not as dark as the cross marking so could be red. White vertical stabilizer and rudder.

That's some interesting insight.  However, black triangles are different from black squares.  And there is three of them on each face.  So, I think this is from the Wappen of a small principality or Burg and not necessarily of Saxon origin.  Prussian Jastas are known to have Bavarian pilots and vice versa.

I've done a bit of research, about as much as I can do without being able to speak and read German without a lot of guesswork, and my search has led me to a number of municipalities.  Most are in the Westerwald, and one is in Saxony.  However, the Saxon choice is the least colorful, having only two colors while some of the others have three. 

Who knows...  before I get the thing built some more new info may pop up.
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline Berman

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2020, 11:38:52 AM »
    The Electorate of Saxony coat of arms is a shield with crossed red swords on a black and white background. The right side of the shield is a green rue ( something like stylized leaves) on a black and yellow striped background. Source is Wikipedia.
     So possibly, the three squares or diamonds could be red or a shade of green darker than the tail stripes.

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2020, 01:13:38 PM »
    The Electorate of Saxony coat of arms is a shield with crossed red swords on a black and white background. The right side of the shield is a green rue ( something like stylized leaves) on a black and yellow striped background. Source is Wikipedia.
     So possibly, the three squares or diamonds could be red or a shade of green darker than the tail stripes.

The three diamonds have to mean something to the pilot.  And unfortunately we'll never really know what they meant to him.  One difficulty is that a lot of heraldry was awarded to municipalities in the 1990's.  So, they're not very useful. 

Here is the story the plane will tell so far:  D.VII (ALB) with one OAW lozenge-painted cowling piece.  4-color lozenge.  Jasta 54 Green and white tail.  I have found the three diamond pattern in the Westerwald or Thuringia.   Both places are relatively close to Saxony, though that doesn't have to mean anything. If I go with Westerwald, the diamonds will be a different color than the dark stripes.  If I go Thuringia, then the Diamonds and stripes will be the same color which might be the reason that the diamonds are outlined in white on the aircraft.

How's that sound?

Offline Berman

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2020, 02:36:43 PM »
 What are the colors of the squares for Westerwald and Thuringia?

Offline Vickers

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2020, 02:57:32 PM »
Not to throw a wrench in the speculations, gentlemen, but here's another comparison. One thing to consider is that the plane's shadow appear to be nearly directly beneath it, but is diffuse without any real darkness or sharp edges. This suggests to my eye that the photo was taken on an overcast or mostly cloudy day with the sun fairly high in the sky. So, another question to ponder is whether the ambient lighting is revealing truth or playing tricks? Comparing the darker color on the upper fuselage deck with the stripes on the tail, which are cast in similar ambient lighting as opposed to the vertical fuselage sides. The darker grey tones in those two areas differ so very slightly that the contrasts are nearly indistinguishable against either a white or black background.

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2020, 04:22:10 PM »
Not to throw a wrench in the speculations, gentlemen, but here's another comparison. One thing to consider is that the plane's shadow appear to be nearly directly beneath it, but is diffuse without any real darkness or sharp edges. This suggests to my eye that the photo was taken on an overcast or mostly cloudy day with the sun fairly high in the sky. So, another question to ponder is whether the ambient lighting is revealing truth or playing tricks? Comparing the darker color on the upper fuselage deck with the stripes on the tail, which are cast in similar ambient lighting as opposed to the vertical fuselage sides. The darker grey tones in those two areas differ so very slightly that the contrasts are nearly indistinguishable against either a white or black background.

This may play into my hands, maybe not.  The jury is still out.  I'm trying not to give in to the "I-want-to-make-it-pretty" impulse.

What are the colors of the squares for Westerwald and Thuringia?

Black or green, respectively.

Offline Europapete

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2020, 11:52:35 PM »
You might not want to make it pretty Gaz, but it sure will be! lolol. Regards, Pete in RI.

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2020, 07:28:36 AM »
You might not want to make it pretty Gaz, but it sure will be! lolol. Regards, Pete in RI.

Too bad it doesn't seem to have the pink or blue rib tapes.  I really like that look.

Offline Berman

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2020, 07:42:17 AM »
  So how many of you vote for green and white tail stripes?  How many approve of yellow fuselage section with black bands and black squares edged in white?

Offline Vickers

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2020, 09:50:57 AM »
I think that the Jasta 54 tail stripes & black and yellow fuselage motif fall well within the greyscale contrasts. However, any dark cool color or even a vivid red or dark earth tone could be on the darker stripes on the fuselage. As for the diamonds... it appears to be anyone's guess, but the outline is a pretty good match for the white borders on the fuselage insignia. If it were up to me, I'd paint the tail in green and white and the fuselage markings in dark blue (or black) and yellow with red diamonds. Just because I think it would look awesome.