Author Topic: Airfix Fairey Battle, as it perhaps should have been!  (Read 116 times)

Offline IanB

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2112
Airfix Fairey Battle, as it perhaps should have been!
« on: May 22, 2020, 10:20:30 PM »
Hi folks,
I mentioned in my FE8 thread that I've been away on "other" subjects for a while, here is one of them. I'm building the old Airfix Fairey Battle and updating it to try to get it as accurate as I can. I've been at it for a couple of years now, on and off, so i won't post everything that I've done, but here's a link so you can check it out if you want.

Here's the full build

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235033270-an-airfix-classic-the-fairey-battle-receives-some-tlc/

Today's post follows. I'll keep this up to date here from now on.

Since I had sorted (I hope!) the canopy issues, and I had the FE8 in the booth today, this happened...









Getting there!

There's really only the undercarriage and bomb bays to complete so I might as well get some paint on. I say "only" but of course the undercarriage has to be made first!



Ian

Online lcarroll

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • ******
  • Posts: 7593
Re: Airfix Fairey Battle, as it perhaps should have been!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 12:00:26 AM »
Ian,
     A "real modelling" project for certain! I just scanned through your log on the other site, quite the makeover indeed and a lot of impressive work. I'll enjoy following along from here.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lone modeller

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3449
Re: Airfix Fairey Battle, as it perhaps should have been!
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 08:45:02 AM »
I have been wondering where this had got to as all had gone quiet for a time. This really is a labour of love - but it will be worth it when it is finished. But you have to admit that a pusher is more satisfying in the end!

Stephen.

Offline IanB

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2112
Re: Airfix Fairey Battle, as it perhaps should have been!
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 01:38:49 AM »
Many thanks Lance, welcome aboard!
You're not going to let go on the pushers are you Stephen!  ;D There will be more, don't worry, but I find this kind of build just as satisfying. Turning a terrible kit into an accurate model I find very rewarding.

As a follow on to yesterday, I spent a few hours today cutting out bits of masking tape I ended up with this










Although this is going to be an even numbered aircraft (P2332) having looked at available pics it looks as though it had the "B" scheme, so that's what I've gone with. It would have been much easier and quicker to do the "A" as that's what the drawings are in the Huntley book. I got around it by copying the drawings to scale, then drawing the pattern outlines on the back Masking tape was stuck on the back and cut to the shape giving me a mirror image to use.







It looks like more paint tomorrow!



Thanks for looking in and stay safe!



Ian

Offline IanB

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2112
Re: Airfix Fairey Battle, as it perhaps should have been!
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 01:32:14 AM »
I was right! However things didn't go quite according to plan. When I opened the bottle of Misterkit Dark Earth it was almost past it - a crust on it and VERY lumpy. I added some Tamiya thinners and attacked it with my electric stirrer, then did the same again another half a dozen times or more. Finally the paint dripped off the stirrer and I thought I'd give it a try. Saved - and as a bonus I now have almost twice as much in the bottle, that's how much thinner it took!

It came out pretty well...











I know, I know. You don't want to see those pics, you want to see THSESE















Pretty chuffed with that, especially given the state of the paint! As per the colour notes in Ian Huntley's book the colours around the canopy were the same regardless of which pattern was used. They are: decking under the canopy Dark Earth, canopy frame Green, Pilot's windshield Dark Earth, Pilot's canopy half and half. He didn't state how it was split so I did it diagonally so the front and rear both match the adjoining framework.

 However there were a couple of areas that needed further attention. The masking tape lifted the paint from the selotape on the right wing landing light






and on the same wing, at the trailing edge on the green bit seen in the above pic, there was a nasty blemish that I had somehow missed, both when in primer, and after the green was done. It was only visible under harsh light from one angle, but it looked horrible! Needless to say i sanded it down, masked off the brown on that wing and wrapped the rest of the aircraft in clingfilm, then resprayed those two areas. All good now!



Not sure if I'll do black yet or not. I may wait until the pitot is fitted, but if I add that now I'll knock it off. Then again, I may just go ahead while I have my painting head on and do it!



Thanks for looking in. Stay safe!



Ian