Author Topic: Airfix Fairey Battle, as it perhaps should have been!  (Read 3387 times)

Offline IanB

Re: Airfix Fairey Battle, as it perhaps should have been!
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2020, 08:53:30 PM »
After that last post, someone on another forum posted a pic showing that I had applied the code letters the wrong way round on the starboard side.

Sometimes I astound myself with the stupid things I try to do, and then get away with!

Warm water, a flat, wide brush, and a little patience (actually it didn't take long at all, I need to be careful with these decals!) Even the broken F repositioned without too much difficulty.

Job done, now for the tail stripes!

Ian

Offline IanB

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2020, 10:22:20 PM »
Since I was on a "feel good" stage now I continued on with the fin flashes. I had a rummage around in my decals stash and found two unused fin flashes from the Aeroclub Short 184. Way too large, but the colours were almost perfectly matched to what was on the rest of the aircraft and I could easily cut them down. I decided, since they were plenty wide enough, to cut both the red and blue with a white strip attached, so I could overlay the white in case it wasn't quite opaque enough. I needn't have worried but better safe than sorry, and it made it much easier to align with the white overlapping.

All done!

A light coat of Ultimate Decal setting solution and she's done until tomorrow! Next up a dull coat.

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2020, 03:02:39 AM »
I know that this has been along time building Ian, but it will be really worth it when it is finished. It is already looking very superior to the original offering.

Stephen.

Offline IanB

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2020, 11:22:45 PM »
Thanks Stephen!

Even smarter now...

dull coat done a couple of days ago, and that means, it's time for the unmasking....

I was almost dreading removing the masking as I feared the framework would come off with it, especially along the bottom where I had to fill. However, I'm really pleased with that. There are a couple of areas that will need touching up, both in the brown areas fortunately, but other than that nothing much wrong at all.

Oops, just realised I forgot the landing lights. No matter!

Thanks for looking in, and stay safe!

Ian

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2020, 03:13:43 AM »
Only just found this after being away Ian. That really is an outstanding model - very difficult to recognise it as the Airfix offering which must be nearly 5 decades old now!

Stephen.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2020, 12:36:31 AM »
Just caught up again on this one. What an amazing job you have done detailing and painting this Old Kit. Your results are Stunning!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Old Man

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2020, 12:32:46 AM »
Just looked through your detailed build thread on Britmodeller, Sir.

Wonderful work.

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2020, 05:52:02 AM »
Looking great! I wish my canopy masking always came out like that...