Author Topic: Pfalz D-III 1/33 Scale From Models by Marek (Matt77 Repaint)  (Read 7440 times)

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

Re: Pfalz D-III 1/33 Scale From Models by Marek (Matt77 Repaint)
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2020, 05:58:37 AM »
A bit more!  The tails are on and rigged as is the tail skid.  I've also almost completed the guns!  Also, even though my seam isn't too nice near the tail, Marco sent me a fix on the sword and it now fits on both sides! 

Still needs work but it's coming along.

Cheers,
Dan

Offline Radarman

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2020, 07:46:26 AM »
Dan,
I can't get over the speed you are able to maintain during these builds. The Pfalz is looking great.
It's got to be a real challenge with all the compound curves.

Enjoy your weekend,
                                                                                                                  Kevin
We are all victims of history!

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2020, 03:41:16 PM »
Thanks, Kevin.  It really helps to basically be home forever.  I could get used to this... ::)

A bit more tonight.  She is armed...

Dan

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2020, 10:33:16 PM »
The work you did on the tail and guns is top notch Dan and the sword on the side is much better .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2020, 03:09:31 PM »
Thanks, Terri.  Matching things up from a designer's standpoint let alone the little assembler is not an easy task!  I think I'll call this pretty good.

I started the lower wing.  The fillets went on without too much headache.  It has an internal structure and then you shape the fillets carefully and glue them on!  I'll then trim where the lower wings go for a nice fit and Bob's Your Uncle...I hope!

More soon,
Dan

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2020, 11:44:53 PM »
Looking really good Dan!  Glad to hear that the wing root fillets were not too bad for you.  I like what you did with the balsa supports.  Do the lower wings have any structural support like a balsa spar? 

Keep going!  This is looking very sweet. ;D

Best regards,

Bob

« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2020, 04:58:24 AM »
Hi Bob and thanks...

As designed, there were two wires that cryptically went through the fuselage and looked like an F4-U gull stubby gull wing.  They fit on either side of a balsa insert I put in  that was sanded to an approximate airfoil.  It was all too fiddly and I was not able to figure how you actually got the wire in and made it look neat.  So...I'm either going to use a simple butt joint as there it lots of meat to glue or add a little, flat aluminum tab to bye some purchase and allow me to adjust my dihedral etc. 

Time will tell!  Thanks for the interest.  Maybe more tonight!

Dan

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2020, 07:34:29 AM »
Dan, I am continuing to be impressed! That fillet and mounting of the lower wing is difficult in Modern Injection Molding. You have really achieved excellent results!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2020, 03:26:20 PM »
Thanks, Rick!  I do think that's the designer and me carefully cutting.  It's actually pretty amazing and looks good even in person.

I got the bottom wings on using bendable tabs I cut from a tomato paste can (Friday was pizza night at our house).  They worked great.  I then started the top wing and you can see the underlying structure and half of the wing completed. 

I CAN NOT WAIT to get this thing together.  Looks really rather pretty with all that lonzenge and the black really sets it off!

More tomorrow unless I get tear gassed in Seattle...Dan

Offline Radarman

« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2020, 03:37:31 PM »
Dan,
Another late night modeling session, I see. It’s coming
along  nicely. Things a calm over here on my side of the
Narrows. I’ve got two acres surrounded by twenty foot
Laurel hedges. It keeps the tear gas away and no one can
see my WNW stash.   Be safe,
                                           Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2020, 09:17:47 PM »
This build is starting to real grow on me , excellent job on fitting the lower wing/root . Top wing is also looking good ! Not much left to go on her now , looking forward to the next run of up-dates  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2020, 10:25:55 PM »
I can see why you "Can Not Wait" to get this one together. Like you said the Black fuselage and lozenge are striking! The upper wing is looking Fantastic!
RAGIII

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2020, 11:52:47 PM »
Oh my, Dan.  That really looks striking with the top wing.  I agree that the lozenge renderings by Marco are really super, and go very well with the muted black fuselage.  This looks really great! ;D  I'm excited for the finish, too.  I must admit, I had some doubts when you declared for a paper Pfalz D.III with all of those luscious curves, but you have created a superb model from Marco's brilliant kit.  Very well done, my friend! ;D  BTW, first-rate modeling with incorporation of a tomato past can as a bendable wing spar--brilliant solution!

Best regards,

Bob

ps:  I'm enjoying the video log as well, and learning more and more from your experience.  I am close to done with the Nieuport (in a good way!), and I will be heading back to paper and scissors promptly with a Matt77 repaint of a Marek kit, the Aviatik Berg D.I in Autumn Mottle camo. ;D  You have a convert!

« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2020, 01:55:54 PM »
Thanks Terri, Kevin, Rick and Bob!  As long as this thing sort of passes muster with the Queen of the Pfalz...I'm in!  ;D
Terri is right...this has got to be a huge favorite among folks.  My WNW model is a beautiful piece.  These may look nice together!

Bob...thanks about the videos.  They are tedious but fun to make.  I'm glad they may be useful to at least one person on the Planet.  And I made that Berg scout and it's a beauty.  You'll have fun with that one.  As I recall, no huge issues either.

And Kevin...peaceful over here last night.  Maybe Felony Way won't erupt like Auburn! We can only hope.  :-\

I got the interplanes done and the top wing in place!  Cabanes next and then it will be strong.  I modified the struts a bit since in all the pictures I see, they sit proud of the wing surfaces and you can clearly see the attachment points.  In the kit, the struts all look nice, but are designed to be flush.  So I pinned them with some wire and I think it looks better.  I'll see if the cabanes work now since I may have a larger space between my planes now!  We'll see...

Oh!  I also got the radiator started on the top wing.  Looks pretty neat up there.

Cheers,
Dan

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2020, 05:08:13 AM »
Looks Outstanding as a biplane! The Pfalz is a lovely bird and your build is just as lovely!
RAGIII