Author Topic: Pfalz D-III 1/33 Scale From Models by Marek (Matt77 Repaint)  (Read 7421 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: Pfalz D-III 1/33 Scale From Models by Marek (Matt77 Repaint)
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2020, 08:30:09 AM »
Stunning work Dan! You are getting faster and More skilled with each build!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2020, 09:20:58 AM »
Second Ricks comments  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2020, 02:21:26 PM »
Thanks Bob, Rick and Terri! 

I got a lot of the fuselage done...at least as much as I can finish tonight.  The various subparts are coming together ok and things are lining up pretty well!  The left side of the fuselage sword isn't as nice as the one you see here... ::)

I couldn't help but put that lovely tail on and I also added the motor mount and just set the engine in to see how things look.  Pretty cool, I must say!  It all needs a bit of burnishing of the joints and I need to figure out the spinner and the housing around the engine, but I do think the vast majority of the most difficult parts are over. 

Unless the lower wing proves to be my undoing! Lots of odd shaping and fillets too!  Arghhhh! :-\

More tomorrow and thanks for looking...Dan

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2020, 10:41:39 PM »
That looks really cool, Dan!  The last shot with the elegant curvy tail and the engine in place gives a real taste of how this will turn out.  I am confident you will handle the wing fairings with your usual aplomb. ;D  Did the sword line up properly on both sides?  That's a tough emblem to split up. 

Looking good and moving forward at warp speed.  Good luck (or "viel Gluck" since it's a German aircraft)! ::)

Best,

Bob

Offline matt77

• Modellismo in carta
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2020, 04:42:23 AM »
Dan,
if the design of the sword is offset, let me know that I move it to the exact size and I will send it back to you immediately.

regards,
matt77

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2020, 08:49:13 AM »
Thanks Bob...I agree that's a hard one to deal with.  I know Marco's Nieuport had that bow and arrow along the sides along with the lovely lady and those were pretty much spot on! 

Marco!  Thanks for following this.  The left side is off, but I really don't know if it's me or not.  It very well could be my cutting etc. but all the formers and skins seem to be laser perfect thus far.  I've attached a shot of the "off" side and the great side for you to see.

No need to send me another as I'll make some simple changes and I think it will be ok.   ;)

More tonight!  I hope to get the nose completed...Dan

P.S.  I have started a vlog of this build on YouTube if you need a giggle.  Uploads may be kind of slow as our home internet has not been working too hot for the past two weeks.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_69yytThoo

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2020, 09:25:59 AM »
All you get today is ..... :) 8)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline matt77

• Modellismo in carta
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2020, 02:58:50 PM »
I modified the last "somite" by raising the tip of the blade:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/uiojjdqqi7yq55g/Pfalz_DIIIa-5_Error_sword.pdf/file

matt77

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2020, 03:52:39 PM »
THANKS, Marco!!!!

For tonight and to go up in Terri's estimation, I got the front engine "shield" on as well as installed the engine.  It's good to get it in there!  Now it's off the bench and less prone to being squashed...

Even more tomorrow!

Cheers,
Dan

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2020, 01:07:53 AM »
Again you are moving along at a Fantastic pace and the Pfalz  looks awesome. The engine looks Fantastic in place!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2020, 01:27:30 AM »
Thanks, Rick!
In the harsh light of day, I think that front protector is too low.  I may need to modify that part a bit...unless I installed it wrong!   ::)  Could be...

I'll probably get her armed tonight.  We'll see.  It is looking like a Pfalz now!

Dan

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2020, 06:16:58 AM »
Moving right along Dan!  I get where you're coming from on the front protector--it looks fine to us, but will bother you if you don't adjust it to your vision of how it should be.  I'm sure you will have little problem with that. 

This is looking all round and curvy and sleek and wonderful--like a Pfalz! ::)

Incidentally, what do you do, if anything, to get a semi-gloss or higher sheen on your paper kits, for example, a highly varnished natural wood fuselage?  Do you spray on acrylic gloss or semi-gloss in light coats or use a wide brush?  What brand do you use and how do you apply it and at what stage of construction?  Just curious for future builds.  Marco, you can chime in here too, as I am interested in how you handle glossier surfaces on paper kits.  Thanks guys.  Carry on!

Best,

Bob

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2020, 08:34:46 AM »
Hi Bob and thanks!

Lots of folks from Poland, Russia, the Czech Republic (these folks really know how to build these) tend to give them a spray coat after they are completed just like a plastic modeler may give a shot of dull coat or some Future floor wax before decalling (spelling?).  I give my sheets a coat of flat acrylic clear before I start cutting anything and tend to leave them alone after that.  I just use it straight from the can...

You sure could spray a fuselage with clear gloss and make some neat effects!  I sprayed my prop for my Fokker with Tamyia clear orange to make it look a bit like varnished wood.  Worked just fine.

I hope this helps...Dan

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2020, 08:59:49 AM »
Quick work on this one so far , looking really good so far but I don't care for how the fuselage joins with all those seems running horizontal . But that is just me , it is my favorite bird !

The wing root is going be interesting and I do look forward on seeing how you tackle this  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2020, 11:03:09 AM »
Hi Terri,

That is indeed the rub on these guys with formers.  On WWII types it's ok since you can put seams along normal panel lines.  Not this one!

The other thing to remember is that if you are amazingly skilled, you can almost make those seams disappear.  I am not one of those people!  ;D

The rear part near the tip of the sword is particularly glaring so I'll see what I can do with that!

One option for next time is to just simply fill them with putty and repaint the fuselage.  Then you'd never know!  But then I'd ruin Marco's recolor so...

More tonight.
Dan